Double action revolver Range trip - finally

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Double action revolver Range trip - finally

Post by Streetstar »

Recently, i purchased a couple of new (to me) revolvers -- a SW 66 and a Colt LAwman in nickel plate
almost 3 weeks later, i finally got a chance to drag them down to a local indoor range to give them a whirl
I dislike shooting there as there is no practical way to do any bench shooting and offhand is the only way to go, --- but my outdoor range is 30 miles away and i only had a limited amount of time ---

After a cylinder full of "get aquainted" rounds and to make sure there weren't any timing issues or anything, i set the targets at 20 yards (10 yards for my Det Special though) ammo was 158 gr 357 SP's (except for the Det Spl of course)

I know the Smith K frames are wildly popular, but i was the least satisfied with its performance -- albeit, this photo shows 6 headshots at 20 yards, they seem to be all over the map and it just wasn't very comfortable to shoot --- later, when doing some double action work, i just about got the thing to double on me as i was staging the trigger like a Colt --- (i was staging the trigger and it completely surprised me when it went off, - the recoil triggered another one a split second later -- first one hit chest area where i was aiming and the second hit the silhouette in the face ---would have been a cool double tap if it was intentional , but that was not the case)

the group below for the 66 is single action :oops: :oops: -- you guys dont want to see the D-A "group"

The Lawman gave me some decent double action groups and gave me the best single action groups of the day - (but i regrettably did not get a good photo of those ) These are both DA groups

I guess the reason i like the nickel Lawman so well is because this parkerized model has been my "go to" 357 for 15 years -- great group size for me shooting offhand (although i was aiming at the "8" 1.5" to the right of the group ) - this is a single action group , DA was on par with the nickel plated gun

As mentioned, i shot the Det Special DA at approximately 10 yards -- i was aiming at the line between the 7 and 8 right in the chest zone of the target -- i can't expect any better than this with me behind the wheel

I am overall disappointed with my experience with the model 66, but i am not going to write it off just yet. The trigger is a whole different animal than the Colts and i was trying to shoot it like a Colt (staging the trigger slightly to get better DA accuracy) -- i wasn't that crazy about the single action accuracy either, especially when compared to the crude sights on the big fixed sighted Colts --- ultimately i mainly think it is the small grips that are doing it to me and i am not getting as secure and repeatable a hold as i am with my Colts --- i would like to try the Jordan Trooper style grip and see if that works out any better.
Also i will take it to the range by itself someday and leave the Colts at home --- having them in the same gear bag is like going on a double date (my version of double dating is having a date with 2 separate women on the same night :o :oops: :P potentially entertaining, but also potentially catastrophic at the same time)

K Frame "getting aquainted" issues aside, it was nice to hit the range :D

and any one of these fine revolvers is more than accurate enough to defend my life with if things ever get that bad 8) -- truthfully i shouldn't be expecting too much more than this with service grade revolvers -- but i feel the Smith has more potential than it showed today
Last edited by Streetstar on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
----- Doug
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range trip - finally

Post by RIHMFIRE »

your ventilators work just fine...nice shooting...and shooters
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Double action revolver Range trip - finally

Post by Pitchy »

Nice guns, good shootin 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

RIHMFIRE wrote:your ventilators work just fine...nice shooting...and shooters
Thanks Rihmfire ! I would not try to bag a buck with them outside of 25 or 30 yards, but i'm okay with the Colt's single action accuracy for the most part (but will re-visit the Smith when i get some bigger grips -- there is a huge difference in the lumber size from my beloved Colts to the K-Frame . Even a set of regular target grips would fill my hand better than whats on it )

your reference to "ventilators" brings up another interesting point ---- what are some other nicknames and acronyms given to sixguns , either from the old western period or from 70's/80's cop movies?
"HEaters" and "Roscoes" come to mind as bad cop movie slang
----- Doug
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Streetstar wrote: ultimately i mainly think it is the small grips that are doing it to me and i am not getting as secure and repeatable a hold as i am with my Colts --- i would like to try the Jordan Trooper style grip and see if that works out any better.
yup :wink:

rod , gat , shooter , pea/bean shooter.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Streetstar wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:your ventilators work just fine...nice shooting...and shooters
Thanks Rihmfire ! I would not try to bag a buck with them outside of 25 or 30 yards, but i'm okay with the Colt's single action accuracy for the most part (but will re-visit the Smith when i get some bigger grips -- there is a huge difference in the lumber size from my beloved Colts to the K-Frame . Even a set of regular target grips would fill my hand better than whats on it )

your reference to "ventilators" brings up another interesting point ---- what are some other nicknames and acronyms given to sixguns , either from the old western period or from 70's/80's cop movies?
"HEaters" and "Roscoes" come to mind as bad cop movie slang
I did not like the little grips S&W put on those shooters either.....
I made the mistake of trading my k for other stuff and then
ended up with 686 and 629 with hogues and pacs
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doug: That's some fine double action work. For what it's worth, I could never accomplish anything with a K-frame Smith in .357. Just too much blast and recoil. I did better with the big N-frame Model 28, but the N-frame doesn't fit me well either.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Notice the grips on that 66 vs the grips on the Colts. At the bare minimum, I need a Tyler grip adapter to shoot a Smith with factory Magna grips worth a hoot. I prefer and fit my Smiths with larger target style stocks like your Colts.

With a handgun, the principal point of contact with your body is the shooting hand, and grips on that handgun do make a big difference! This is particularly true when shooting off hand. Get some good grips on that 66 and your opinion will change.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very nice guns, and if I was a bad guy I wouldn't want you shooting at me! :wink:
Great post!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Charles wrote:Notice the grips on that 66 vs the grips on the Colts. At the bare minimum, I need a Tyler grip adapter to shoot a Smith with factory Magna grips worth a hoot. I prefer and fit my Smiths with larger target style stocks like your Colts.

With a handgun, the principal point of contact with your body is the shooting hand, and grips on that handgun do make a big difference! This is particularly true when shooting off hand. Get some good grips on that 66 and your opinion will change.
I agree, the Magnas are way too small for me, I prefer the larger factory Targets and have them on all of my Smiths except my M66. I bought it with the rubber finger groove Hogues (bottom pic), it feels good and shoots good with them but I'm not a fan of the looks of rubber grips.

The wood ones in the first pic below are some that I made and work ok but only until I can find a pair of factory (wood) finger grooves that I am willing to pay for.

Streetstar, as Charles said, if you find the right grips your M66 should be a good shooter.

Oh, and don't pay any attention to the dashboard in the background of the bottom pic, there is rarely any other traffic on those western KS roads.

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Nice wheelguns! 8)

I've had very good luck with a set of Pachmyr grips on
my Model 66. The stock ones seem a bit too small for
my hands, and accuracy with regards to windage
particularly seems to suffer.

-Stretch
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Hogues in rubber or wood work well.

Friend of mine has a 2.5" nickel Model 19 (NOT a 66, though it looks like one) with a trigger job.

DA is around 3.5lb and SA is six ounces.

I guarantee K-frames can shoot well, but his is the nicest i've ever handled trigger-wise. Even better than a factory Python (and i've shot six over 30 years of production time).

Give it a little time.
SPROCKET
Levergunner

Post by SPROCKET »

I've not shot a K frame, but I'm totally pleased with the Ahrend's grips on my N frame.