Winchester 64 Magazine Tube Cap

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 64 Magazine Tube Cap

Post by Hawkins »

Hello all,

The cap on the end of the 2/3 magazine tube on a Winchester 64 has a small tab that turns into a cutout on the underside of the barrel, to help hold everything in place. I think the 71 uses the same arrangement. Should that tab put much pressure on the barrel, or should it just fit into place? On my 64, the tab presses pretty hard against the front of the cutout, and I was wondering if that was normal. It seems like having pressure at that point could have a lot of influence on the zero.

Thanks,

Hawkins
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 64 Magazine Tube Cap

Post by BigSky56 »

No there shouldnt be a pressure fit the mag tube slot that is in the dovetail behind the end cap holds the tube in place with a pin the end cap should freely rotate into the slot. First figure out why this problem is happening has the slot in the mag tube been expanded allowing movement? if not a fix is to use a fine cut file and take a couple thous off the end of the tube where the end cap fits and deburr. My browning 71 doesnt have this type of end cap just a screw that goes thru the cap into a hole in the bottom of the barrel. danny
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Winchester 64 Magazine Tube Cap

Post by Hawkins »

BigSky56,

Thanks for the info. That was what I thought, but didn't have anything to compare it to. I'll take it down in the near future and see if something is causing the mag tube to not quite seat into the receiver all the way, or if there's some other issue.

Hawkins