New member - own a Rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

New member - own a Rossi 92

Post by FatJackDurham »

Good morning and happy new year. I just bought an Interarms Rossi .357 and I can't wait to take it out.

I look forward to meeting you all and learning a lot. I'm not big into guns, I used to be in the Guard, and owned a Kalashnikov, a Baretta M9, and a sweet Hopkins and Allen rolling block .22 I wish I had kept.

I sold it all a while ago, though, and haven't shot in years. Then my liberal step dad surprised me by getting a little .22 Sig to shoot with his NRA motorcycle pals. Since then, I've been obsessed with single action cowboy guns. After searching the slim pickings around my little state, I found the Rossi at a little store. It took three weeks of research and consulting everyone from around here to Steve's guns in Texas, but I bought it and I can't wait for a nice day to shoot.

Next up, SAA, and maybe a Stevens favorite .22. That should hold me.

Anyhow, nice to meet you.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New member - own a Rossi 92

Post by PaperPatch »

Welcome...and Happy New Year to ya!!!!!!!!!

:wink:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Welcome aboard! You'll enjoy
that Rossi. Many have said the early ones are/were rough--especially out of the box, retooling in 2000 fixed, etc, but IF so (mine have been mostly fine), nothing some dry levering or modest honing can't cure. I've always had the same high affection for my Interarms as the supposed improved later ones, and they don't have the fukakata safety. You may already know, but our very own Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones) at http://www.stevesgunz.com is not only the resident 92 guru here but arguably nationwide. He's the go to for fixing, tuning or advice and has a very useful D-I-Y video on tuning up your 92.

Enjoy the forum, lots of great, knowledgeable folk here! (Lots of SAA and Ruger SA fans here too!)
Last edited by gak on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yes, I know, I called him for advice about the price and some corrosion pitting on the site band and tip of the barrel. His tip to test the lever action and examine the bore for corrosion damage was invaluable. I had the store clerk cycle a few rounds an provide a bore light.

KNJ also advised the early Rossis were a little stiff, but I have to say, I think this one may have been worked on. The trigger pulled crisply, and the lever work with no effort.

I'll end up sending it to Nate eventually for a new rear site ant to fix the bluing if he does that.

Before buying this, I read dozens of posts comparing the Winchester clones against the Marlins, and I read Chicoines Guns of the New West and his Antique disassembly guide, and to my novice eyes, this gun already feels to have been worked on.

The proof will be when I put some rounds down range.

gak wrote:Welcome aboard! You'll enjoy
that Rossi. Many have said the early ones are/were rough--especially out of the box, retooling in 2000 fixed, etc, but IF so (mine have been mostly fine), nothing some dry levering or modest honing can't cure. I've always had the same high affection for my Interarms as the supposed improved later ones, andthey don't have the fukakata safety. You may alreadyknow,but our very own Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones) at http://www.stevesgunz.com is not only the resident 92 guru here but arguably nationwide. He's the go to for fixing, tuning or advice and has a very useful D-I-Y video on tuning up your 92.

Enjoy the forum, lots of great, knowkedgeable folk here! (Lots of SAA and Ruger SA fans here too!)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Welcome aboard. Oh boy, you'll love it. I got a 24" rifle in 357mag and had so much fun with it I purchased a 20" carbine in 357mag too. There's really no need to send in your Rossi to Steve if you are at all handy with basic tools. Take a look at Steve's action job kit for your Rossi. For $58.40 you get the parts and a DVD that gives step by step instructions on how to care for your Rossi yourself as well as slicking up the action and reducing the excessive spring pressures the stock gun comes with. It's simple to follow his instructions and the resulting smooth action and trigger will definitely put a smile on your face. As to a SA to go with it, you might want to look at Uberti's offerings. They are pretty authentic reproductions of the original Colts but more reasonably priced if that's a concern. I got a Cavalry model (7.5" barrel) to go with mine and it's a ton of fun to shoot too.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Welcome to the fire. Pull up a stump and have a cup. I hope you are prepared for the "addiction". The only cure is to buy more leverguns. Terrible curse, but someone has to be afflicted by it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome, you will enjoy it here :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

jeepnik wrote:Welcome to the fire. Pull up a stump and have a cup. I hope you are prepared for the "addiction". The only cure is to buy more leverguns. Terrible curse, but someone has to be afflicted by it.
And those afflicted by it tend to gravitate here. :D Welcome.
Old Law Dawg
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Lever guns, as fun to shoot as they are to load the next round.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Weicome! :D
That Rossi is a very nice gun.
Happy New Year!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! With 3 of the Rossi '92 clones I've barely scratched the surface, I'm sure there'll be 1 or 2 more sometime! If it weren't for Winchester 94s, I'd probably have a dozen! Leverguns are like Lay's potato chips... ya can't just have one!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, you are on the right track now. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Welcome & have fun flinging emptys outta the Rossi
Youll have to find out yourself that one is not enough :o

ollogger
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

COSteve wrote:Welcome aboard. Oh boy, you'll love it. I got a 24" rifle in 357mag and had so much fun with it I purchased a 20" carbine in 357mag too. There's really no need to send in your Rossi to Steve if you are at all handy with basic tools. Take a look at Steve's action job kit for your Rossi. For $58.40 you get the parts and a DVD that gives step by step instructions on how to care for your Rossi yourself as well as slicking up the action and reducing the excessive spring pressures the stock gun comes with. It's simple to follow his instructions and the resulting smooth action and trigger will definitely put a smile on your face. As to a SA to go with it, you might want to look at Uberti's offerings. They are pretty authentic reproductions of the original Colts but more reasonably priced if that's a concern. I got a Cavalry model (7.5" barrel) to go with mine and it's a ton of fun to shoot too.

That DVD is excellent.

I'm a visual person as most people are and learn by seeing, not by reading a bunch of text instructions.

The DVD is very graphic in that you actually see the work being performed & Steves explanations are so crystal clear a 6 year old could successfully tune up a Rossi 92 after watching it.

If you don't grasp something the first time then play it again.

Take your time, don't rush & make stupid mistakes & you'll get it right the first time.

I have 2 left hands and 10 thumbs..........if I could do it anybody can.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard - congrats on the Rossi - and thanks for your service to our country!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome, you have found a great bunch of folks that love the old style firearms, and a very knowledgeable crew here. I have two Rossi 92carbines, an early Interarms .357 and a hartford .45 Colt, plus an old 1892 Winchester 32-20, plus some 1894 30-30's and an 1894 38-55. SAA sixguns just seem to go with levers. You are in for a great ride, enjoy it.
Steve's DVD and parts are a good investment.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Lostowl05661 wrote: That should hold me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah right, :wink:

welcome.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

welcome... :)