What guns have you let go? That you miss.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

What guns have you let go? That you miss.

Post by hightime »

I mean if you're not a dealer. What guns have you sold or gave away that maybe hurt a little?

I can't believe how they haunt me.

Swedish Luger, I was 15, I thought it was too expensive to shoot.
High Standard 22 Long Horn, I bought in Alaska '65, I sold it in '70 to pay for books.
Ruger Super Single Six, A good gun, I don't know why
High Standard Sport King, fell out of my snowmobile

I miss some others too, but at least I have most all my dad's or have handed them down to the thrird gen.

Owen
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What guns have you let go? That you miss.

Post by PaperPatch »

Colt Series 70 Commander..........

:cry:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've sold a bunch that I wish I hadn't but the two that really bother me are a Winchester '92 25-20 SRC that was my Grandfather's and a Model 95 Russian Musket.

The 92's bore was almost smooth and I thought I'd sell it and get something similar. Should have kept it and
searched out a new barrel for it.

The 95 was a duplicate in my collection and I sold it when I was building my house and needed a few bucks.
Never thought they shoot up price wise like they did. I'll never part with the other one!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Out of probably a few thousand guns, only a standard old '94 in 30-30 back in 1978. There was no reason to sell it and it was superbly accurate which at the time I was to young to understand what I really had.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I have some, but there are two I wish I still had. A Westley Richards 10 gauge hammer gun and a Sako Deluxe 30-06 that I killed a ton of game with. The Westley Richards is gone for good, but I am working on getting "Old Meat in the Pot" back and hope to get that done sometime this winter...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Just a couple off the top of my head, Win. 1895-30-40
Colt Comander.
High Standard longhorn nine.
Win 73.
Colt SAA 1st gen 45
Early Bearcat, old model BH`s
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

A Model 11 Remington sawed off whip-it 12 gauge shotgun! What was I thinking. :evil:
"That'll Be The Day"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: My first "real" .22...an old 39 Mountie. Fast and smooth as butta. A Williams with the insert removed was an early ghost ring when no one was using those. My buds could not believe that I could hit stuff way out there with a defective back sight :lol: I thought a no good Remingturd bolt .22 would be more accurate :roll: so I traded :roll:
Also, a couble nice Stevens/Fox doubles in 16ga because cheap ammo started to dry up.
A Rem 700 in Whelen that I can't believe I let go :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Colt SP1 with factory installed Colt 3X matching scope. :cry:
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I thought a lot about it and they all got traded for better ones. My Hepburn was the last good one that got put in the safe ... right after we shot it

^
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

In order of regret
Colt New Service in 38WCF
Colt 1901 US Army in 38LC
H&R 999 Sportsman in 22LR (Abilene KS Commemorative w/Holster - Unfired nickle w/ mother of pearl grips)
Stevens Model 311 in 12g
Winchester Model 37 in 16g
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless in 32ACP

These are the ones that if I had to do over again, I would still own.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have a handful I miss "sometimes". Witness-P .45, Ruger 22/45, SS Marlin .22M bolt action, Remington 742 .243 and a SS Mini-14 Ranch come to mind sitting here. But when it comes right down to it I'm glad they're gone. But the one I miss most is a rusted receiver mid 70's .30-30 trapper with a Williams receiver sight on it. It was accurate and compact. Someone had painted the receiver to cover up the bad and my Hoppes bubbled the paint right up. Wish they had some of the home brew gun coating we have today back then. But the main reason I miss it for what I got out of it. Made a bad trade and got a worse gun in every aspect. Would it still be in my safe if I hadn't made that trade? Doubt it but it still burns me to this day that I could be that stupid.

LK
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have bought and sold plenty. Some I wouldn't mind having back but the one I really really wish I had not sold is a Satin Nickel Colt Combat Comander. I didn't have to sell it and really don't know why I did. I have had other Colt 45s that haven't bothered me as much as that one (oh well huh).
THIS thread just goes to show the gammut of interests in Firearms. THis is a Levergun Forum,now go through and look how many old or new Levers are missed. Not many as compared to Pistols, Revolvers,Bolts and Shotguns. I Luv em all and I guess actually there is one Old mod 94-30wcf that I sold to My BIL some 20 years ago. I basically still have all the Levers.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pwl44m wrote: THIS thread just goes to show the gammut of interests in Firearms. THis is a Levergun Forum,now go through and look how many old or new Levers are missed. Not many as compared to Pistols, Revolvers,Bolts and Shotguns... I basically still have all the Levers.
Perry
Me too, I have only traded one levergun and that was a newer birch stock Marlin for an older pre-safety model. No remorse there.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I sold a Browning 65 about 10 years ago. The only gun I've ever sold. It still bothers me, even though it would be relatively easy to replace. 218 Bee just doesn't grace a lot of gun store shelves these days and I wasn't shooting it enough to want to reload for it. I should see about finding a 53 in 25-20 to make up for that transgression. :shock:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Springfield Defender in .45ACP
Glock 22, 40 S&W
S&W 629, .44Magnum, 8 3/4in barrel, gold lining
Pardini race gun in 9mm
Ruger GP100, .357 magnum
Ruger Single Six, stainless
2 x Ruger Vaqueros, 45 Colt
2 x Uberti Cattleman, 45 Colt
Not really let go - stolen by my government in order to stamp out gun crime and make the streets safer.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

2 superstupid intellectual failures that still haunt me.

First was a Winchester 9422, bought in 1972 when it was fresh off the drawing boards and production line.
Sold it in 1997 to a pal ..... and he won't sell it back to me no matter how much I whine.

Second was a .375 Winchester BigBore94. Bought it new in 1978 when it was fresh off the drawing boards and production line.
Traded it in 1987 for a radiator for my car.

Cheers,

Carl
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

My first deer rifle, 444 marlin.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My Savage 24, .22LR & .410 would be so useful now. :roll:

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

While what you say about not that many levers is true, in my case, I kept the levers or gave them to my son. I only let one slip though my hands, and then I got it back. I had to beg, but I got it. It was a new '64 Model 94 that had went though a fire in Anchorage and lost all it's finish, both wood and metal. I did the best I could with a new finish. As the years went on my dad took quite a shine to it. I let him keep it 'til his death in '81. At that time it was my job to devide up his guns. To make it all equal, it went to my brother-in-law and then to his son. Three years ago while sitting in my stand I thought, what a shame. I called the nephew and told him the whole story and he sold it back to me. Thank the Lord.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I should have kept at least one of my 9422Ms, :oops: still have my 9422LR :D

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A couple of Winchester 1886s and a nice 1876. Water long under the bridge, but it still galls me. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nothing old or rare, but after my shop closed and the choice was made to go back to school I sold many things including a Ruger comp Gov MKII, Ruger mini-14(tight shooter), Ruger 45Colt 4 5/8 that had some work done, and a 4 digit S/N Win 375.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think the gun I regret selling the most, was a Smith and Wesson model 41, 22cal target pistol. I had two barrels for it, and I shot it extensively for a few years, and won a lot of trophys with it in competition, but I had pretty much quite shooting that type of competition and sold it, to round up money for a Wilson Combat 1911 that I had on order at the time, for IDPA competition. I do wish I had kept the 41, but money was tight and I wanted that Wilson really bad.

I have sold or traded a lot of other guns, and some I even parted out, that I wish I had kept. But that is the price you pay if you want to experience a lot more guns then you can afford outright.
NRA Life Member, Patron
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

None that I really miss. The one I come closest to missing is a Springfield 1911 that I sold to my uncle. I don't get rid of many guns because they are pretty hard to come by for me, and a lot of them have come from my dad or uncle, and I won't ever get rid of them till I pass them to my kids. Every one I've gotten rid of has gone to get something I wanted more, and I generally don't have any regrets.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Winchester Model 61 :roll:
Savage 24 22mag./410 :cry: :cry:
Remington Rand 1911 sold it to my brother! What was I thinking!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't I guess
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Have traded and sold a bunch, but two cross my mind. First was a Sako 22 hornet think it was a mod 78 and next was a Remington 788 in 223. I bought both new.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Only one. I traded a very early made Winchester AE in 307 for a Winchester 24 sxs in 16ga.

Wish I still had the 307!! It never shot as well as I thought it should. Reason I belive was the absolutely horrible trigger!! I was young, didn't even know you could get triggers worked on, still not sure if anything could have been done to that particular trigger, not that familiar with Winchesters. Shells come out the top? Why would I want that?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

There's more I regret NOT buying than the ones I let go. Two that come to mind are a VOPO (E German Police) Luger for under $400 at a show 6-8 years ago or a Finn marked Luger when a local shop had them a few years ago between $1000-1200.

Come to think of it, there's more I regret actually BUYING than letting go... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

There are so many!
The ones that I have let go, and miss are:
A Savage over under 22 Mag, 20 Ga.
A Savage over under 222, 20 Ga.
A browning Model 71, but I did manage to get another one of these.
A Colt New frontier in 45 Colt.
But the one I think I miss the most was a Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special, it had nice patina, a tiger striped stock, and forearm, a half round half octagon barrel, an Ivory front sight, and a Lyman tang sight, I kick my self every time I think of this one, and how I let it go :cry:
Terry
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Why would anyone let go of a 32 special? unless you traded the Win 32 for a Marlin 32?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have not wanted to read and start on this miserable subject but did click on it tonite. This goes all the way back into the early 1960's. traded off a nice Springfield trap door 45-70, Winchester1886 45-70, Remington 14 .25, Colt Police 32-20, Smith & Wesson 32-20 Winchester 1894 SRC .30wcf., Remington Rolling Block 7mm very sharp and crisp,DCM .Ithaca .45, DCM Inland .30 carbine. I could go on but what's the use they are just as gone as the paychecks from then.
Last edited by JerryB on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

the ones that Haunt me are mostly savage 99s
22-250
250-3000
303 375H&H mod. 70 But I still have my long horn dbl. 9

ollogger
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

The ones I let go that I regret are.
A savage 311 20 ga 26" that I killed enough game with to make a peta person faint.
A ruger 4 5/8 blackhawk in 45 colt and had the extra 45 ACP clinder. Paid 185 new Ouch.
A Browning BLR 308 I bought unfired for 215 with two boxes of ammo. I sold this to a friend and get to hold it once a year.
A Marlin 1894 44 Mag made in 1970 and a real shooter,I sold it for 70 dollars and paid 400 to replace it 25 years later.
Ones I wish I had bought.
A Winchester 9422 mag for 205 dollars that looked new.
And one that really hurts a Marlin 1894CL 32-20 for 240 that was like new and MY Wife was telling me to buy it!!! I get tearful typeing about it.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

ollogger wrote:the ones that Haunt me are mostly savage 99s
22-250
250-3000
303 375H&H mod. 70 But I still have my long horn dbl. 9

ollogger
Are you saying that you had a 99 in 22-250?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

YES, & HAD is the heart break word STUPID x STUPID = ?

ollogger
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Olger I certainly understand the Heartbreak! Was this a factory job or custom?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

There are only really two that haunt me, and one of them my brother has offered to let me have back but he really likes it so...
The first one is a remington bolt 22lr 581 a friend gave to me as my first gun (and he has died) but i traded it away for some car parts to build a mustang in the 1980s. I have the twin of that rifle right down to the same scope and stupid way I put the sling swivels on when I was 14, but it ain't the one Jim gave me.(still have the mustang too!)
The second is a SEARS version of a 94 winchester that I had to sell for car parts to build a mustang in the 1980s, sound familiar. I was putting it in the car to go to town when my Dad asked what I thought they would give me at the ONLY gun shop in town. I think I said $100 and he went in the house and brought out the money and for years it was DADS deer rifle. When DAD died, my brother asked to have that one and he's had it and used it every year for 11 years now. He has offered to trade for another gun or just give it to me, but as long as I know he has it and won't get rid of it. I guess I'm okay with it. No! I am okay with it. This has been pretty cathartic!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

no it was factory i bought it in maybe 1983?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Shiloh Sharps #1 in .38-55 :cry:

Marlin 93 in 32-40

Parker 12 ga. hammer double

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
1894c

Post by 1894c »

a well used Police issued 1968 Smith & Wesson Model 10... :(

My very first levergun a 1977 Marlin 336 in 30-30,
the youngman next door has it, loves it, shoots it,
and I taught him how to reload for it--I miss it, but
it is in good hands... :)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Too many to list, but the one I will say is a Winchester Antique Model 94 in 30-30 that I got for Christmas from my parents when I was 13. My brother got one too. I sold it when I was 22 because I needed the money. I've thought about tracking down the guy I sold it to a couple of years ago as I now have my brothers. Need to get that done even if he tells me no.
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Really, just 2.

My FA Casull and my custom (by me) 1911 CCO.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Hi Standard revolver (model?) 9 shot, 22 MRF
Browning B-92 lever-action, 357 magnum
Colt SAA, 45 Colt, 4 3/4 bbl
Anschutz model? bolt-action 22 LR. Beautiful gun. Bought around 1968.
Colt Python, 357 mag, nickel, 4" bbl
Colt Diamondback, 22 LR, 4" bbl (Sold to uncle along with Lawrence holster for 200.00--now going for 12-1400.00!)
Colt 44 Army, black powder--never shot it, bought new for around 400.00
Savage 99A w/straight stock, 250 Savage. They brought it back in the 70s. Had a 3X Weaver on it.
Stevens, maybe Springfield model 340, 222 Remington bolt-action. A plain but very good gun. My first center-fire bolt-action. First gun I reloaded for.
Winchester model 70, 257 Roberts. Made in 1937 with old style safety.
Winchester model 100 carbine, 308 Win. Had Weaver Tip-Off mounts on it.
Marlin model 39 carbine. Not the Mountie. Lighter than Mountie w/3/4 length tubular magazine. I want this one again for sure.

Don
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

When I (thought I) needed quick cash:
- Ruger Single Six .32 Mag in 5.5", one of first .32s out of chute after 1984 intro. Have since relaced with Vaqueritos--which I love equally--but still miss that first one. What a shooter!
- Win 94 ca my birth year 1954...thought I knew the serial numbers when I got but discovered was off a few thousand. Later checked a more reliable source and had been within the range--barely. Live 'n learn! But before that, since I had plenty (yeah I know, blasphemy :) ) "regular" Pre 64s, I viewed it as a "luxury" and let it go, again when perceived cash needed. Have since replaced with a few ok-to-very decent '54s, but none as nice as that one (pristine 99%).
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Not many, but two I sold in college I'd sure love to have back: A Smith 6" 657 and a Colt 1903. Worst was a stag handled Randall knife I sold at the time.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

All of the 19 stolen from my house this summer while I was out of town visiting my kids
GIT 'R done
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Marlin Levermatic in .256 Mag, to spend more on IHMSA Silhouette supplies. Doh !

Stll want one in .30 Carbine to go with my Blackhawk.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My 44 Rugar Semi auto rifles, had 4 of them and the lovely stainless 280 with stainless scope. If I had to do it again non of them would have left!!!!
Ms Boots
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

reddnek wrote:All of the 19 stolen from my house this summer while I was out of town visiting my kids
That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Old Law Dawg