MY 'New' Winchester 1892

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Babalooie
Levergunner

MY 'New' Winchester 1892

Post by Babalooie »

I recently acquired a Winchester Model 1892 in .32-20 caliber made in 1892. It was professionally restored and looks like new. I want to try to find out who did the restoration, but am new to this and don't know who to contact. Any suggestions?

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: MY 'New' Winchester 1892

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations on your new to you '92. Good luck on finding out who did the restoration though as there is numerous people who could do it. Infamous, famous and garage. Give us a range report when you get one.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very Nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Why do you want to know who refinished it? Occurs to me that you might be trying to discover the condition it was in before the restoring was done? I think you will need to ask the person who sold it to you and might have to check with the owner prior to him....
I ordered the stuff yesterday to restore a junker '92 (actually its a model 65) that I traded for 35 years ago. It should look like new when I finish. Not suggesting your purty rifle was a bubbasised ragged out mess before being reworked but that is a possibilty when you buy refinished guns..How does she shoot?
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Why do you want to know who refinished it? ..How does she shoot?
I just like to research the history of my guns. Obviously, if it was originally a safe queen, a previous owner would not have gotten the work done.

Won't know how it shoots until I get some ammo and can get to a range that allows rifles, not a simple task in Illinois.

I guess I'll have to start making .32-20 rosaries.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You now have a rifle that will be your most favorite rifle you will ever shoot. Get a box of Black Hills, Winchester, or Remington and shoot the snot out of it. Black Hills ammo is loaed with Starline brass so save it for reloading. I have an 1892 32wcf made in 1917, my favorite shooter. Lots of good reloads for it, plenty of bullets to choose from.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

kimwcook wrote:Congratulations on your new to you '92. Good luck on finding out who did the restoration though as there is numerous people who could do it. Infamous, famous and garage. Give us a range report when you get one.
Looks good enough to be one of Doug Turnbulls restorations.

I expect a piece of eye candy like that cost a few $dineros$.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Mate,
Love the look of your 1892.
You will love shooting the 32-20.
Looks like a good restoration, that shotgun style butt stock looks good on the rifle as well.
I had an old 1892 restored a couple of years ago. It had an aftermarket Sportco (Australian company) barrell fitted so had no real collector value at all, but I sure love it and the purchase of the gun plus restoration work was still less than the cost of a good modern copy of an 1892 - and it is still in original 32-20 calibre.
I think you are onto a winner, so I hope you just enjoy owning a lovely old rifle.
Pop.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Looks great. Hope it gives you years of fun. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very nice shooter, Sir. :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Another birthday comes in July if I live that long. (75) I hope. Ha! Just a hint ! :mrgreen: :P Tis a fine looking rifle.
Too me , it isn't the value, or where it came from . Nor is it famous or not. It just has to be beautiful like you's . and have the appeal I can't resist.
You done good .
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

I checked with Doug Turnbull's to see if they did the restoration. It wasn't them.
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

Does anyone use the winchester reloading tool with the 1885 patent date? It's a neat design.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The 32-20 is one of my favourite cartridges, especially in the Model 1892.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Babalooie wrote:
Alphawolf45 wrote:Why do you want to know who refinished it? ..How does she shoot?
I just like to research the history of my guns. Obviously, if it was originally a safe queen, a previous owner would not have gotten the work done.

Won't know how it shoots until I get some ammo and can get to a range that allows rifles, not a simple task in Illinois.

The .32-20 is the cartridge that got me reloading ( along with the .303 British). That was 25 years ago and wouldn't
pay the prices for factory loads then!

One of my favorite rounds and love my '92s!

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

2ndovc wrote:
Babalooie wrote:

The .32-20 is the cartridge that got me reloading ( along with the .303 British). That was 25 years ago and wouldn't
pay the prices for factory loads then!

One of my favorite rounds and love my '92s!

Have fun!

jb 8)
I've seen deer successfully hunted with a H&R single shot in .22 Hornet by a man who gets his buck first day each & every year. I've never known him to miss in at least 20 years.

Heard him say, "Don't have much use for them fancy repeaters, they'll jam when you need'em & any more'n one shot is a waste" many times & when the proof is hanging on the meat pole by noon of opening day & I'm still out scrambling around the woods for my buck he's a hard man to argue with.

The .22 Hornet is an even shyer caliber ballistically than the .32-20.

I swear this guy has a nose like a blood hound for deer & is the quietest bush walker I've ever known & practices "You gotta shoot'em in the right place" religiously.

Yah you can hunt deer with a .32-20, Americans have been doing it for years.

I'd think twice before "hunting" a piece of eye candy like your model 92 though.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

pricedo wrote:
I'd think twice before "hunting" a piece of eye candy like your model 92 though.
Do you think it's too pretty to hunt?
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Babalooie wrote:
pricedo wrote:

DEFINITELY !

I'd be too preoccupied with keeping that gun in pristine condition to spot deer.

The only things that aren't all dinged & scratched up on my old Rossi 92 are the barrel rifling, muzzle crown & the sights.

My attention is 100% devoted to hunting & it doesn't matter if there are a few more scrapes on the gun at the end of the day if my buck is hanging on the meat pole.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

Pricedo, you are absolutely right. I work in a gun shop and spend a lot of time cleaning and making minor repairs on many of the guns that come into the shop. In fact, not too long ago, I rebuilt a model 1892 (made in '93) for the boss. A real adventure trying to locate replacements, but I got it all together and running.

When this one first showed up in the shop, I was awestruck, had trouble concentrating and my head was spinning. Not only is it beautiful, the action is comparable to a brand new gun. Actually, better. Then, to put a cherry on top of it all, it's an antique. It's not even considered a controllable firearm.

I think I've used up all my good luck for a long time. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Plus, because of this gun, I've been in contact with you all. You're a great group of guys and I appreciate everyone's input.

Cheers.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Babalooie wrote:
pricedo wrote:
NO!

If you can't hunt with it, get rid of it. I took this gun all the way to Alaska and back, bear hunting. My son shot this bear with it. It is an original 1876 with original finish and is worth well over $10,000.00

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...

Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

VERY nice guns.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello Babalooie,

Congrats on the 'new' rifle! Could I get a bit more info from you concerning the gun so that might be able to add it into my research survey? I will need the full serial number and detail photos of the barrel address, caliber stamp, upper tang stamp, and the butt plate. You can read a bit about what I am doing at this post:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27559

I will be able to tell you how the rifle fits into the changes made during production and will be glad to try to answer you might have. My email is 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Happy New Year
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Shrapnel wrote:
Babalooie wrote:
pricedo wrote:
NO!

If you can't hunt with it, get rid of it. I took this gun all the way to Alaska and back, bear hunting. My son shot this bear with it. It is an original 1876 with original finish and is worth well over $10,000.00

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...

You guys sure know how to make a man's eyes water with envy.

One commandment definitely taking a ship kicking here......."Thou shalt not covet"
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Drool...

Full length mag and straight stock. That's a little slice of perfection!!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

Sorry for the late post. I just returned home from an unscheduled hospital stay that began on Saturday. Will post replies later in the week.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

pricedo wrote:......."Thou shalt not covet"
That only applies to his wife, not his guns. :D

Babalooie, hope everythings okay or soon to be.
Old Law Dawg
Babalooie
Levergunner

Post by Babalooie »

kimwcook wrote:
pricedo wrote:......."Thou shalt not covet"
That only applies to his wife, not his guns. :D

Babalooie, hope everythings okay or soon to be.

Considering the possibilities, it turned out great. I'm not completely healed, but issues were addressed and corrected before anything really serious happened. Not the greatest way to start the New Year, but it beats the alternative.

I know the above is pretty ambiguous, but would prefer not to elaborate in a public forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Those little 92's are to me probably one of the best walking around guns ever built.