Made some nice lever gun racks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Made some nice lever gun racks

Post by KirkD »

A while back I made a rustic gun rack for my original Winchester 1873 out of a piece of quarter sawn Burr Oak that I had laying around. I had ordered some hooks from Gobbler Forge (http://gobblerforge.com/ ) to complete the rustic rack. These hooks had a beautiful twist in their shank and I really liked the completed rack. Here is a photo of the original hooks ....

I liked the idea of quarter sawn oak gun racks with wrought iron hooks so much that I ordered another eight sets of hooks from Gobbler Forge. This time, I purchased some quarter sawn oak planks that were a bit narrower than my rustic gun rack, so I asked Brad of Gobbler Forge for shorter shanks and, since the shanks would be mostly hidden behind the gun, I dispensed with the twist. Also, I wanted one of the sets for a 130 year-old English double barreled shotgun, I had one of the forearm hooks made extra wide to fit the double 12-bore barrels. To pad the inside of each hook, I cut a thin strip of leather and glue it into the inner radius of each hook. Here is a photo of some of the hooks, showing the bottom set (for the double barreled shotgun) with the leather strips already installed ....

I purchased the 1" x 8" x 28" quarter sawn White Oak planks from a specialty lumber store about a half hour away from where I live. I like the figuring in the wood that one gets with quarter sawn oak. Here is a photo of some unfinished planks leaning up against a bookcase in my somewhat messy office ....

I routered the edges, sanded the surfaces with 150 grit paper, stained them with Provincial, and finished with three coats of semi-gloss urethane. The hooks hold the gun out from the wooden back enough such that a cable lock can be hidden behind the stock between the gun and the wooden back. I like the look of the gun being held slightly out from the wooden back; it displays the gun better, at least in my view. Here are some photos of the first two racks I finished without the cable locks (required when displaying in Canada) ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Made some nice lever gun racks

Post by PaperPatch »

A marvelous display of craftsmanship Kirk!
Simple
Attractive
Functional
:wink:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

you sure did make um nice, great old guns too
ive seen that print around & it sets the whole deal into
a great day dream

ollogger
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great design and very well made! Those old Winchesters couldn't look better. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

game keeper wrote:Great design and very well made! Those old Winchesters couldn't look better. :mrgreen:
I agree. Those mounts are very nice and are a real classy way to show off your rifles. Good job, Kirk.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well now that is somethin else, great job buddy and same to you Gobblerforge 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pitchy wrote:Well now that is somethin else, great job buddy and same to you Gobblerforge 8) 8)
Sorry, Gobbler, didn't mean to leave you out. Nice work. It's apparent you know how to work hot metal.
Old Law Dawg
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thank you for posting--those lever-racks are very cooool... :)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Nice!!!!! :shock:
"That'll Be The Day"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Really nice looking!

Oly
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very Nice, Great job!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very rustic.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

First Class, Kirk! (as usual!) 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great job!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Well done! Looks like you thought about it and made it happen.

OkD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Good call on the quarter sawn. It does being out some interesting grain patterns huh? Well done sir....Cable locks? Is that a standing order in Canada even in your own home? IF it is, then that is as wrong as two boys going out on a date! :P

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Thanks for the inspiration, Kirk.. I really admire the quarter-sawn oak.. With a few touches of my own, I'm on my way...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very good looking displays Kirk. Aside from the fine old rifles, the Burr oak has some nice grain in it. We have some Burr oaks down here, the acorns are bigger than golf balls. The deer will leave corn on the ground when they can get the Burr oak acorns.I'll check at the saw mill on some boards.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Ranger wrote:....Cable locks? Is that a standing order in Canada even in your own home? IF it is, then that is as wrong as two boys going out on a date! :P
Unfortunately, it is the law in Canada that if a gun is being displayed on the wall, it must have some sort of trigger lock/cable lock or rendered incapable of firing by removal of the bolt. There are some exceptions for rural areas where the gun might be needed for ready access for predator control. Antiques do not require any locks, they only have to be displayed unloaded.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Kirk, that did turn out attractively.
I love quarter sawn. Thanks for the nod, Sir.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom