About the cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

About the cowboy

Post by getitdone1 »

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article about the Cowboy.

Am reading it now but once I seen this picture of a cowboy in 1888 I wanted to share it with you. Left click on this picture to enlarge it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy

Looks like he's got all the equipment. Bedroll looks a little skimpy but he might have been sleeping in the bunkhouse at this time.

Don
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: About the cowboy

Post by earlmck »

Yep, well equipped fellow. You're right about sleeping in the bunkhouse (or line shack somewhere) -- that's his slicker (rain gear) and not a bedroll.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think he's got a coat tied to the back of his saddle. Looks to me like he's set up for day work.
Old Law Dawg
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Came back to mention you can left click on the blue highlighted words and read about related subjects. I'm sure most of you know this but wanted to mention it. I got off track by clicking on Stetson hats and now ready to get back to the main article. The first Stetson hat named "Boss of the Plains" doesn't do it for me. I like the style that has the top portion pointed in the front. Have to get one of those.

One of the significant things about the American Cowboy is they got a lot of their way of life from the Mexican Cowboys called Vaqueros. I've read the vaqueros were often more settled and perhaps more professional than many American Cowboys who were often kind of a drifter going from ranch to ranch.

Don
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

That picture appears on page 164 of "Packing Iron" by Richard C. Rattenbury.
The caption reads:
"Outfitted with complete equipage, this Montana cowboy posed in 1887. He carries his Smith & Wesson revolver in a late, "California" pattern holster and utilizes a full saddle scabbard for his Winchester rifle. Note that the extremity of the scabbard is secured with an unusual, billet-and-ring attachment sewn into the main seam." (Image courtesy the Library of Congress)
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

What is the pouch in front of his left leg?
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Binocular?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

20cows wrote:Binocular?
That's my thought too.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have seen this picture alot and I often think he might be a lawman or such, with the binoculars. That is sure a long barreled rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Guys,

I don't know if you are all seeing the same-size image that I wind up on. Here is the direct link to a very large copy of it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... y_1888.jpg

You can better see what all he has. :D His slicker sure looks like some dog was chewing on it. He appears to be holding a whip. His rifle looks like its buttstock would beat his horse's jaw to a bloody pulp.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

As I recall, this man is Trail Boss for a cattle drive.. He sure is all decked out for the job!
His slicker looks a little chewed, all right, near the bottom, at least, and I'm guessin either mice or moths, or burn holes, from standin near the fire, dryin out a few times... That is a field-glass case, in front of his leg.. Beein able to see what or who's comin has a lot to do with survival..
His bedroll would be either in the chuck wagon or bed wagon, depending on the size of the crew, and would not be carried on his saddle horse.
Wouldn't worry too much about the rifle.. That horse's head wouldn't be turned back that far, in the course of a normal day's work.. However, my preferred carry is butt to the rear, near side.
All in all, he's a man to be reckoned with...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks for that super large picture. Looks like binoculars for sure. He has a quirt which I read was to help move a cow from horseback rather than to make the horse run faster. The rifle appears to have a crescent buttplate and definitely a semi-pistol grip rather than straight stock and if date is correct (and I think it is or very close) it can't be a model 94 Winchester. It's either a model 73, 76 or 86 and I'd guess 73. The saddle horn looks extra large and seems I recall that was a feature of a Mexican type of saddle.

Some of you can probably clarify/improve the above.

Don
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The rifle looks to have a relatively full pistol grip, and the buttplate is hidden, so we can only guess at its shape.. My surmise is, that it is a single shot of some type.. Maybe a Sharps, Browning or Winchester...
The saddle is of a type common to the period, having a rather slim horn post, topped by a forward-projecting horn cap, not like the Mexican "apple" horns of the time... Could have come from any of a score of saddlers, from Texas to Montana.. His quirt is a common accessory, useful in many ways, on horses or cattle, and was a popular affectation among top hands, and wannabes alike.. His is a nice one, of sturdy construction, made of braided leather, over a wood core. The shirt is heavy wool, as befits a Montana puncher.. Gloves look the be strictly utilitarian, and a couple sizes too big for him..
He looks to be a man I wish I could have known...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Humbly begging your pardon, but reading the comments in this thread brings a wry smile.. It reminds me so much of the old tale of the six blind men, and their different perceptions of what an elephant must be... :?
Regards

Buck