Those Little 380s..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Those Little 380s..

Post by Blaine »

I put maybe 75 through the new Ruger .380 yesterday with my daughter along to shoot her two shooters and whatever of mine she wanted to try (No, Sweetie, you may NOT have the 9422 :P ). That little Ruger is just as mean spirited as the little KelTec I tried awhile back. Not kick or sting-wise, but it knocks the PeePee out of the top of my trigger finger. As this is a fairly common event with me on other shooters that move around a lot, I wonder what I can do to avoid this. I've worn a thin leather glove with others, but the .380 is so small, there's not enough room for my gloved finger. Oh, well...it's not for plinking and target practice, anyway :lol:
BTW, Daughter shoots her Sentinal .22 and her little 3" J Frame .38 Special VERY well indeed, hitting pop can-sized target out past fifty feet. She makes me proud in all things.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Those Little 380s..

Post by Nazgul »

I have had a Walther PPKS in 380, was very nice and yes it bit my finger a little. Shoot a Berretta 84FS now. Little big to carry as easily as some others, but it is nice to shoot.

Don
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Wear a thicker band-air on your finger that gets bit.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Congrats on having a fine daughter!

The cure for the 380 problem is simple, trade it in on a real gun. :)

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:Congrats on having a fine daughter!

The cure for the 380 problem is simple, trade it in on a real gun. :)

Cat
So...you'd wouldn't mind taking one for the .380 Team? :lol: :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

BlaineG wrote:it knocks the PeePee out of the top of my trigger finger. As this is a fairly common event with me on other shooters that move around a lot, I wonder what I can do to avoid this.
Try the Micro Eagle pistol. It has a big trigger guard. I own one and it's very easy to shoot and carry. And it is tiny, but made of solid steel.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Micro_Eagle.asp
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll practice with a thicker bandaid, and when it's time to use it for it's intended purpose, I'll not be worrying about a little finger pinch. :wink: That little 90gr fmj American Eagle round put a big hole in the back of a three inch thick slice of tree trunk. It'll do for an undetectable carry piece.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

BlaineG wrote:I'll practice with a thicker bandaid, and when it's time to use it for it's intended purpose, I'll not be worrying about a little finger pinch. :wink: That little 90gr fmj American Eagle round put a big hole in the back of a three inch thick slice of tree trunk. It'll do for an undetectable carry piece.
:mrgreen:
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have the Keltec and what helped on mine was sanding the bottom inside of the trigger guard smooth. During recoil your finger gets slid along the trigger guard, a band aid would also help. Great little guns, I've put about 1000 rds through mine with no problems and it goes everywhere with me.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Try the Ruger lc9, slightly bigger and no finger pinch and a much better trigger.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I bought a Kel Tec .380 and kept it for about a week.I carry a J frame S&W Airweight with 2" barrel and find it much more to my liking.
If I want to carry a little pistol I have a North American in .22 mag.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We sell a lot of LCPs and TCPs at the Sportsmans Warehouse I work at part time. Invariably the comment from buyers is that "Wow, these aren't much fun to shoot are they?"
I recently bought an LC9 and am very pleased with it. The trigger stroke takes come getting used to, but I find it accurate and very easy to run 100 rounds through in complete comfort. And running the Hornady 147-grain TAP loads is a piece of cake.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recently purchased one of the little Ruger .380's and all I can say is it's at least reliable, so far. However, after a few rounds I got it figured out. I found that I shot it a lot better by only using the tip of my finger on the trigger, instead of letting the trigger rest in the first joint. It shot good enough by using that method. I recond it's a keep for me.

I have two other .380's that I like and can shoot much better. I have a Colt Gov .380 that can be shot very accurately, and is fun to shoot, but unforunately it's just big enough to take it out of the pocket gun class.

Another fine gun I have is a Colt .380 Mustang Pocket Lite. Now, here is a gun that is only slighty bigger and heavier then the Ruger but much easier to shoot accurately, but of course it's not made anymore and used ones are expensive, still I really like it, and carry mine, when I don't want to carry anything bigger.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Would not sneeze at the 380 for effectiveness. Where we lived previously, we got a lot of dropped off unwanted dogs. All were suspect and many downright mean. A large Shepherd mix growled at one of my daughters and I shot him with the Walther PPKS. Hit in the left hip area, the bullet penetrated 18" of muscle and must have lodged in his heart, he died within 30 seconds.

I was surprised.

Don
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I put 50 rounds thru a buddies new S&W .380 a month or so back and didn't notice anything as you describe or any discomfort at all. But dang did I hate that little gun. The DA pull was so long and it didn't trip until you basically had your hand balled up into a fist. Literally like squeezing a roll of quarters tightly to get it to fire.

LK
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It is NOT a plinker, fer sure..but for around town social work, it fits the bill just fine. At least a half inch slimmer then the JFrame, and lighter to boot.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

L_Kilkenny wrote:The DA pull was so long and it didn't trip until you basically had your hand balled up into a fist. Literally like squeezing a roll of quarters tightly to get it to fire.

LK
Sounds like the AMT .380 Backup a buddy and I have traded back and forth. The running joke is the trigger pull is so heavy it takes two men and a small boy to work it. The upside is you won't get an AD/ND with it... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
DonP.
Levergunner

Post by DonP. »

I hung on to my Colt Government Pocketlite in .380 from years ago. It's a 7 shot, single action miniature of the 1911 without the grip safety. It weight about 12 ounces, without a magazine, and shoots way better than I do. Very comfortable and I've had to beat my adult kids away from it with a stick to hang onto it.

Colt, in their infinite wisdom (LoL), dropped the Mustang and Government model in .380 ... just as CCW started to skyrocket. If you can find one used, Government Model or Mustang, buy it now.

Now Colt announced they are relaunching the Mustang in a 6 shot single action .380. I just got a note from Colt on Facebook about it.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

the KT is what you carry when you can't carry a gun.

When you do need it, there is nothing else that will do, and you just put up with a little pain to have a 'gun' when you can't have a gun.

Try to minimize those times but it does serve a purpose.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The little .380's have their place, even though they are not that powerful, they definately beat not having anything to fight back with, and sometimes, for many of us, we just can't hardly carry anything bigger.

Or they serve as a back up gun for your primary weapon.

One thing I have found is, when I just can't be armed with something bigger, I have discovered that I can usually carry at least two .380's, so when I decided to carry nothing bigger, I usually carry at least two, and I think that is a pretty good idea, because one might malfuction, or you might run it dry, etc, and it's just eaiser to grab a second one, plus one can be available for the off hand, that way, if someone grabs one arm, you can still get to a gun. Something to think about.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No doubt...it sucks in all respects except size and handiness. The one by my bed at night is a 1911 :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV