Thinking about a new "Truck Gun" combo...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Thinking about a new "Truck Gun" combo...

Post by FWiedner »

Been carrying either a Win Model 94 Trapper or a Marlin 1894C in .357 in my truck for years, but I don't ever leave them in the truck. When I park for the night the truck gun usually comes inside wherever I'm at, with me.

Been thinking about permanently assigning maybe a synthetic stocked Handi in .30-30 and something like a .22/45 and a box of cartidges for each, in a locked and 'out of sight' box in each of my utility vehicles (both of them, LOL). If needs be, I'll have appropriate and secure boxes made.

In my mind they don't need to be immediately accessible, but they do need to be easily accessible. I'll be happy to stop and exit the vehicle, retrieve and load the gun(s). I'm not a poacher or a road hunter.

I know that there is always the threat of a theft when you leave such a target of opportunity available, and I'm not done fleshing this idea out. I'm sure there's plenty of things that haven't been considered.

Opinions?

:?: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thinking about a new "Truck Gun" combo...

Post by JerryB »

Like you, mine come in every nite. A good secure box would probably do fine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Likewise, mine come in with me. Vehicles are too easily stolen. Got my vehicle... ok, it's why I buy insurance (gambling that it WILL get stolen), but get my vehicle AND guns (even if you didn't know they were there)... shame on me.

The days of when I carried a .30-30 in the handy-dandy-eveready-heavy duty rifle rack are long gone. If they're in the truck, they're out of sight! Even if it's nothing more'n an old saddle blanket thrown over 'em.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have a Keltec PF-9 that I have in mine and yes, it goes in with me. But the locked "trunk" back of my Jeep (something I fabricated) contains my just in case ordinance - a WASR underfolder and several loaded mags with a chest rig.

Call me over cautious.... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I agree, I have been looking for one I can mount to the area of the fold down seats in the back of the Tacoma. I would probably have a shotgun, handgun and lever gun in same caliber. I worry about leaving a firearm in the car because of the weather (hot summers and humidity) and the effect it would have on a firearm. Currently, I don't have a lockable box (except the truck). I carry my rifle in a carrier behind the seats. I just don't think I would ever leave them in the vehicle for long periods of time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

whats a WASR
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Years ago I had one of those seat covers for trucks with a scabbard sewed in it across the bottom. Now That I think about it I havent seen those in years. I once had a pickup stolen out of my driveway. I had a S&W model 60 hidden in the truck with a snubbed hammer. That probley tipped off the thieves I was a gun guy and a few days later they must have been watching me and they got in my house and stold a bunch of family guns. My dad was in a covelesant hospital, I had went back to wisconsin got all our family guns, (I was the only heir). My safe was already full and I couldnt get them all in, so they were in the open in the house. The truck got stolen about two days after I returned. Here is a list of what I lost. I did recover the HDM and the J.C. Higgins shotgun although the barrel and stock were sawed off and thay had put a doc holiday sling on it! Had the detective unscrew the barrel and give me the action.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

rjohns94 wrote:whats a WASR
Romanian manufactured AK47 type rifle
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Booger Bill wrote:Years ago I had one of those seat covers for trucks with a scabbard sewed in it across the bottom. Now That I think about it I havent seen those in years. I once had a pickup stolen out of my driveway. I had a S&W model 60 hidden in the truck with a snubbed hammer. That probley tipped off the thieves I was a gun guy and a few days later they must have been watching me and they got in my house and stold a bunch of family guns. My dad was in a covelesant hospital, I had went back to wisconsin got all our family guns, (I was the only heir). My safe was already full and I couldnt get them all in, so they were in the open in the house. The truck got stolen about two days after I returned. Here is a list of what I lost. I did recover the HDM and the J.C. Higgins shotgun although the barrel and stock were sawed off and thay had put a doc holiday sling on it! Had the detective unscrew the barrel and give me the action.
I know it was probably years ago, but I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. The silver lining here is that I can learn from your experience. So, thanks for sharing. The note about tipping someone off that there might be more is real food for thought.

I seem to recall that one of our members had a prized and customized McPherson Marlin stolen from his vehicle in a downtown area in broad daylight.

Maybe trying to leave guns in the truck, even "cheap" ones, ain't such a bright idee after all.

:?

Anybody ever used a "DU-HA™ Under/Behind-Seat Storage" box in their truck?

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Shootin ... Bprd746363
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you have a concealed-carry permit, I'd not bother with a "truck handgun".

If you have a powerful handgun, think about what else a long gun offers:
  • better accuracy at long distance - only a factor if you're impulse-hunting varmints
    better firepower - in case of apocalypse, lots of ammo for a .45 ACP would work wonders
There is a company making a 'GunVault' type handgun safe (not GunVault though), that is flat enough to go under a seat, has the 5-button combo lock, and you can get extra mounting plates so it is removeable from the vehicle if you enter the combination.

Personally, I'd just get the Handi-Rifle in .30-30 or something like that, if you really think you might need a long-shot, and keep lots of ammo for your CCW gun, unless your CCW gun is a .380 or something.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Night time truck theft isn't a problem in my case, but rust is especially in the winter. Truck warm, truck cold, truck warm, truck cold and so on leads to the potential to alot of condensation on the metal. Sometimes all it takes is one night. Even if you get a gun with low enough value so you'd be tempted to just leave it in the truck over night, you're still gonna have to take it out often to lube it up but good. I just recommend taking it every night to avoid this issue even though I'd like to be able to have a gun that never leaves the truck. Might not be as much a problem in N. Texas but it is here. Something to keep in mind.

LK
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A good 303 Brit SMLE with short fore stock can be found for $200 or less. The sights are durable and will stand up to truck travel. The power level can deal with just about anything. You can choose to keep a loaded magazine somewhere else in the truck (even a 15 or 20 rd mag). For the handgun, a Charter Arms or H&R in 22LR or Mag can be acquired for $150-$200 and will hold 8 or 9 shots ready to go, or keep a speedloader elsewhere in the truck. I've never considered a single shot useful for a truck gun because of the number of scenarios I can come up with where I'd need more rounds in a hurry. Also, a semi auto may not be a good choice to keep a round chambered in, and the safety could possibly come off when bouncing around. Also, a lot of the rear sights are not that sturdy. Your combo may work for you if you plan it out right. Good luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I keep a Marlin 22mag bolt gun in my truck 24/7, I keep the bolt in the center console and bring it in at night. That way folks don't see me carry in a gun every night and if the truck is taken they don't have a working gun.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

rjohns - yes as damienph said - Romanian AK-47 sporting rifle.

Here's a pic:

It's the definition of "rugged" and stored in a padded soft case, so well protected. It won't be harmed by being the Jeep...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

To answer that question correctly, need to know exactly(what do you expect this gun to do?)
Do you usually have a self defense handgun on you.If your just looking at something to protect you (in a long gun)because handgun isn't an option(and not for hunting)
I would just get a nice mechanically nice older full choked 3" single 12ga,I like em with the ejector and also with the forearm that goes on/off with a snap and not require any screw etc.(if it fuctions great but say it's marked up that bugs ya, just spray paint it flat black with spray paint)
Check your legal limits, if ok ---- (chop er down to 26.5" OAL with barrel being 19" of that total length)
Then have a few rounds (though will need only one)of the Dixie tri-ball ammo at instant access.(maybe 2 or 3 in coat/pants/shirt pocket etc.)
I would have this gun(unloaded,broke open)sitting between a folded blanket right besides me with again it's ammo at the ready in a blink.
If I needed that space for other people then under seat in blanket etc,wherever ?
How long does it take to pull blanket back /'shove 1 shell in it, cause it's already open/slam it shut and send 3 .60cal 320grain heat treated hardened alloy balls at whatever is bad.(what,about 4 or 5 seconds)providing you have instant access to one of the shells.
I would every night(if I wasn't packing a handgun)just grab the little thing and bring it inside.(with a couple of shells)Who knows someone bad might already be in your house waiting for you) :oWould be hard pressed to find any single gun that is handier or gives as much wallop in that simple/small/reliable package.Instead of (1) 30-30 bullet,give me (3) 320gr hardened .60 balls at the single pull of a trigger.Also Winchester Supreme has the new High Velocity 15 pellet 00Buck :shock: Heck,and if ya think those Dixie's won't kill that possible Polar Bear/Elephant you might run into or car you need to stop-----have a couple Brenekee Black Magic shells in the pocket too.

But,this way(gun's always legal being "unloaded/action broke open)but wham in 5 seconds bang!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I would never leave any guns in a truck overnight that I wasn't willing to have disappear. Safe or not, if the truck is stolen they will get into it. All it takes is time and determination. And I would think that if a theif sees a safe, if he can he'll steal the truck to get into the safe.

Cat
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I've posted photos of the "Perfect Jeep Gun" before, but here is again.

Like most, it doesn't live in my Jeep, even though it is stored in a padlocked metal box behind the seat (just enough space in the CJ8's cab).

I've since (need to take some photos) made the "Perfect Truck Gun". It's my old 20 ga Franchi 48L, that I already had a 19" barrel for. It's been set up so that the buttstock comes off easily in the same manner as the Jeep Gun. Again, the barrel slips right off with the twist of the end cap, so the max length is the barrel. I've got a similar case for it. Now, since the truck is garaged, and it's secured with a cable and lock, it pretty much stays in the compartment under the rear seat. You'd have to destroy the recever to get it loose. With slugs, it's good on people sized target to about 75 yds with my eyes. I'm thinking of D&Ting the receiver and mounting a red dot or holo sight.

The handgun part of these "combos" really just depends on what I'm carrying. In town, usually something in .45 acp, and more and more frequently while running the deserts in my Jeep, it's a .45 colt Blackhawk. I'm not too concerned about needing to carry the same ammo for long gun an handgun. And, being shotguns, they give me the advantage of choosing the right load for the job.

I doubt I'll ever need hundreds of rounds for a given emergency, as I doubt zombies would want to eat my old, worn out brain. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Catshooter wrote:I would never leave any guns in a truck overnight that I wasn't willing to have disappear. Safe or not, if the truck is stolen they will get into it. All it takes is time and determination. And I would think that if a theif sees a safe, if he can he'll steal the truck to get into the safe.

Cat
My set-up isn't a "safe". I've removed the rear seats and constructed a top board that is secured at the sides with pins that drop down through the holes there and in the front by a board running accross the front. It just looks like a "luggage board" or something. The rear door locks and that secures the stuff under the "box". Out of sight, out of mind.

I always clean everything out of the cab so there's nothing "attractive" sitting there. I think that most people don't expect anything of value to be left in a soft-top Wrangler... precisely because it can't be locked...

Anybody that really wants to get into it just has to unzip it and get in.

If I lose the gun, I lose the gun. I see the benefit of having it when I may need it the most overweighing the possibility of loss to theft.

I am always very picky about where I stay and where I park the vehicle. Always opting for high visibility spots.

The hotels are usually of the Hampton Inn variety... which are usually in realativley safe areas.... usually...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Here in good old Britain if I had just one gun stolen from my vehicle the police would take away the rest and my licence! So leaving guns is a no no. :twisted:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Other than an "always handgun" of some sort, I think a beat up M-1 carbine parts gun would be nice for a Jeep or truck gun. Just slip in the 30 round mag, and your go-to-go for 30 rounds :D Small, simple and quick to operate and fast to get into action :wink: ---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A chopped & channeled 91/30 gets my vote for both cheap & powerful...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

There is also the Mosin-Nagant M-38 and M-44 which fit into this size. I used to carry my SKS along with ammo in stripper clips, rolled up in a movers blanket from Harbor freight. Tied with some para cord like a bed roll. Rode around behind my truck seat for several years, nothing happened to it and never needed it. Finally took it out checked it over all was good to go. I always figured it was a last resort rifle, used when all else had failed and I would have to hoof it some place safe. Also carried one or a couple of large bore handguns in appropriate cases which I would never leave in the truck. Like they say the handgun is used to fight your way to your rifle. I do find my little Winchester 94, angle eject in 357 Mag, to be very handy for a quick outing. Of course I have a nice rifle built up for me by Nate Jones and a bigger one by Mcpherson in .45-70. It is fun to play make believe. ATB
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I do have a CHL. Depending on the weather and occassion I'll carry either a .380, a 9mm, or a .45, but these are not hunting guns, these are SMA (Save My Axx) weapons. I get pretty good accuracy out of the .45, but the the others aren't what might be referred to as 'precision instruments'. Point blank = good.

I'm not looking at stopping a zombie horde. My imagined purpose for these arms is target of opportunity game management or light hunting for animals in the deer to squirrel range, or maybe to put a hurt animal out of it's misery. For example, if I'm out wandering the back-roads where it's legal to hunt and I see a stray hog, a rabbit, or enough squirrels to make a sandwich, or if I run over a deer or a dog, I can do what needs to be done.

:)

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OK,
For that purpose, yup a Handi would do ya just fine!
Heck, it might even be nice to spend the extra $65 and get the shotgun barrel with the 30-30? (small game)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

madman4570 wrote:OK,
For that purpose, yup a Handi would do ya just fine!
Heck, it might even be nice to spend the extra $65 and get the shotgun barrel with the 30-30? (small game)
Oh yeah. A Handi with a 20ga and a .308 and a .223 would be about perfect for everything...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Remingtom 700, barrel cut and re-crowned to 18". Its pretty handy , caliber is .243.
----- Doug
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Interesting that you show us that pretty Remington. I like it.

I have a Handi in .243, and it's kinda lookin' for something to do. Wouldn't have to buy it. That's a plus. Needs a suitable sight. Something rugged that will last forever.

Haven't convinced myself that it's as all around effective as a .30-30 though.

:idea: :? :)

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

FWiedner wrote:Interesting that you show us that pretty Remington. I like it.

I have a Handi in .243, and it's kinda lookin' for something to do. Wouldn't have to buy it. That's a plus. Needs a suitable sight. Something rugged that will last forever.

With today’s bullet technology the .243 is an awesome little round.
Checkout some of the youtube videos. :)
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

O.S.O.K.,

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. The best security is for it not to known that there's something worth stealing. And nothing to atract the eye. Both excellent tactics.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My always carry is a J Frame, or now the Ruger .380 in my vest pocket. If I know I'm going in the woods, the 1911 goes along. If I'm hunting, the long gun issue is solved.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

FWiedner wrote:Interesting that you show us that pretty Remington. I like it.

Thanks -- this little rifle started out as my "scout rifle " project --- then i shot afew rifles with forward mounted scopes and decided i liked the conventional location better

Technically -- its not "Done" to my original intent, as i did want it drilled and tapped for a rugged set of backup sights -- something like an Emerson or XS ghost ring sight with a smaller ghost ring -- along with a quick detach optics mount and a more compact scope.

The rifle was picked up at Wal Mart for under 400 bucks --- they had a price match + 5% sale at one time and i brought in a circular from an Academy store (big box sporting goods store - similar to Dicks or sports Authority) and walked out with a Rem 700 for the price of a 710 or a Stevens

So not being into the rifle for a ton of money, the next stop was the gunsmith to have a few inches taken out of the barrel ---- i put a "temporary" scope on it to sight it in -- and thats where the project stalled.

I selected a .243 bolt rifle over a lever gun because my idea of a "truck gun" was for coyotes or informal plinking if i get the chance --- i trust the ballistics more at 250 yards over an open field than a levergun's ballistics (Savage 99's, Win 88's and BLR's notwithstanding) and the velocity loss with the shorter barrel i felt was an even tradeoff for being more maneuverable in my jeep.

Although i call it a "truck gun" -- i keep it velcroed in place behind the backseat so it doesn't do any banging around. My Jeep also has a lock down package shelf in the back to keep it out of sight and mind. The price of admission was cheap (relatively) -- i will take every precaution i can to keep it from being stolen , but if something happens to it, its not that much of a financial issue.
The shorter barrel also makes it handy for treestand hunting.

LAst year , Academy Sports again i think, was selling Stevens rifles for under 200 bucks in .270 and 7mm-08. One of those rifles also would have been perfect for a project like this

But in keeping with this being a leverguns site ---- here's a pic of my plain black .45 Colt Trapper with a Ramline stock. I got this one with visions of it being a truck gun too -- outfitted with a little better iron sight system for my needs, or a red dot sight -- I visit SE Oklahoma a lot and goofing around on the trails there and their associated thick trees is pretty conducive to pistol caliber levergun use.
Once again --- this is an unfinished project and i haven't used it yet. It shoots well, but is so homely with the RamLine stock that i tend to leave it at home on range days a lot :cry:
I have a pattern of accumulating rifles , but year after year, i tend to use the same 4 or 5 that have done me well

----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I carry my 1887 chicom rippoff shotgun as a truck gun. It shoots 7 rounds almost as fast as a pump without mag extensinsons. It's a politically correct Antique looking weapon. 8) :lol:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Catshooter wrote:O.S.O.K.,

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. The best security is for it not to known that there's something worth stealing. And nothing to atract the eye. Both excellent tactics.

Cat
Thank you :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I keep a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 in my truck (regular cab so it lives behind the seat out of sight). I got the thing for $50 at a pawn shop and if it gets stolen with the truck, no real loss. It's surprisingly accurate and plenty powerful for anything in the Upper Peninsula.

Eric
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I used to leave a rifle in my truck 24/7 till the heat destroyed the ammo in it. Pulled down on a coyote and it went pop instead of bang.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I usually have a 94 and a sixgun in the truck, covered up when in anywhere. Not much theft of vehicles or contents around here. There's also usually 2 rather large Malamutes in the truck when going to town and it isn't too hot. Nobody stops to look in the window for long, they get a large wolfy looking face right next to theirs right away. It's usually a surprise since the rear windows are tinted. Stop next to mine and one of the dogs jumps in the front seat pretty quickly. I've seen people see the dogs in it and walk around my truck giving it a wide berth.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

As I've seen the rate of car and truck prowls escalate during the last 2 years I would not leave any firearm in a vehicle. You would hate yourself if your firearm was used in a criminal act. Your habit of removing your "truck gun" at the end-of-the-day is a wise and prudent practice.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjf415 wrote:As I've seen the rate of car and truck prowls escalate during the last 2 years I would not leave any firearm in a vehicle. You would hate yourself if your firearm was used in a criminal act. Your habit of removing your "truck gun" at the end-of-the-day is a wise and prudent practice.
Pretty durn desperate desperado to use a 70+ y/o Mosin Nagant Bolt Gun (worth $75 retail) to do his Stop-N-Rob...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!