What happens when you shoot a .30-30 trapper in the dark?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

What happens when you shoot a .30-30 trapper in the dark?

Post by vancelw »

Dead pig. Right where she stood.
hog 2011-10-04.jpg
Only add-on is a marble's fiber optic front sight. Works great.
I detest the cross-bolt safety, but have a fix planned for it soon.

This mama and her little minions have the deer so skittish they won't come to the feeder. Oh well, I'd rather shoot the pigs.
These rascals sure are savvy. They eye-balled me pretty quick and I was in full camo. As soon as they started to run I popped her. Still couldn't get a second shot as the scatter so quickly and there are so many trees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What happens when you shoot a .30-30 trapper in the dark?

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations, Vance. I thought I was going to see a pic of a fireball. :D
Old Law Dawg
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Congratulations, Vance.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good deal! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

kimwcook wrote:Congratulations, Vance. I thought I was going to see a pic of a fireball. :D
:D
I don't remember a fireball, but it may explain why I'm having trouble acquiring a second target soon enough :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I don't know about your load, but out of my 30-30 Trapper a case full of DuPont IMR 3031 with a 110gr bullet produces a four foot diameter ball of flame and a concussive blast that is invigorating. :o :o

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I never noticed any great amount of flash from mine except a case full of BL-C.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

These are factory loads. I'll have to look and see what they are, but IIRC they're Federal 150 gr Powerpoints.
I don't remember a flash, but those piggies scatter and a follow up shot is hard to get with all the trees and brush. As much as I want to exterminate them, I don't want to wound them to run off and die later.
I will be using a different levergun next time anyway :D
With the .44 mag and .30-30 out if the way, I still have .30-'06, .348, .38-55, .45-70, .45 Colt, and .32-20 to go.
After that, the M-4gery is coming out of the safe. :twisted:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've had some luck getting multiples by using a pump shotgun and 00, but the pigs do tend to skeedaddle once the shootin' starts.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never heard anyone claim that wild pigs are stupid. They don't want to get shot and the best way to avoid it for them is to run around the nearest object.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:I've had some luck getting multiples by using a pump shotgun and 00, but the pigs do tend to skeedaddle once the shootin' starts.

:)
I sat out one evening with my Rem 870, full tube. It was too heavy and clunky for my stand in it's current arrangement. It needs a set of ghost ring night sights and/or some attached illumination. I'll try to use it from a more stable platform after I've taken all the leverguns for a walk.

I had to take a break and mow parts of the yard for the last time this year. Change oil in the truck...other silly stuff that cuts into my hunting time.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

vancelw wrote:
I had to take a break and mow parts of the yard for the last time this year. Change oil in the truck...other silly stuff that cuts into my hunting time.

irritating the way mundanae day to day life gets in the way of what we want to do
----- Doug
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a clamor would do the trick. :D
Old Law Dawg