Help a pneuby pick one

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Help a pneuby pick one

Post by pneuby »

Here in town, I've got two used ones in stores calling me.
First is one of the Davidson's 1/500 runs : Stainless 336 w/pistol grip, gray laminate wood, and 16.5" bbl. The firesights were replaced with standard buckhorns for the model. $600.

2nd is a 336 TS, I think, with straight grip and 18" bbl. $450.
I sort of like the ability of straight grip and the extra round.

However, the stainless one is less prone to my acidity, has a fantastic recoil pad already installed, and it 2" handier, and likely better balanced. Of course, I could install XS sites and get a good finish on the blued gun, and still be ahead of the game.

Two things on PG models, The lever throw swings further forward, and right up against my foremarm, which I can live with. However, I've read here that recoil may be more abusive to the cheek with that stock. Any tendency toward that?

Either way, I think it will be easier to handle than a 94 Trapper I have with Ramline in place of the wood. Handy and light, but oh my does it BArK.
Thanks!
Last edited by pneuby on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Help a pneuby pick one

Post by Pete44ru »

First, let me say: Welcome to the Forum !

Second, I would buy the 18" straight-grip in a New York Minute - even if it wasn't half the price of the stainless rifle.
Just THINK of all the goodies the $$$$ difference would bring you.

But, bottom line - YMMV.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can't answer your questions, but I can welcome you to the forum. Someone will be along shortly with their experiences. Again, welcome.
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome pneuby, also caint answer Ur question. But like has been said- lots of extra $$ to play with on the straight grip.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Welcome to the board!

I vote the TS. Longer sight radius, straight grip and a great price. Recoil is a non-issue with the 30-30 IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

For the money difference I'd vote for the straight grip gun as well.

Welcome to the forum!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

olyinaz wrote:For the money difference I'd vote for the straight grip gun as well.

Welcome to the forum!!

Oly
+1
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jnyork wrote:
olyinaz wrote:For the money difference I'd vote for the straight grip gun as well.

Welcome to the forum!!

Oly
+1

I prefer the blue with the straight grip over the stainless/laminated, the price difference would buy a lot of ammunition.

I have both straight and pistol grip Marlins, I don't agree that one has more noticable recoil than the other.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Welcome!
Straight grip (blued)$350
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Buy the 600 one and put the other on lay-a-way. Problem solved.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1st, don't be quite so sure about the stainless standing up to a person's acidity, nor a blued guns' susceptability. Stainless is just that, "LESS"; and different things affect it, sometimes in ways that are less than predicable. My wife has quite acidic skin, yet her blued guns are very clear of any negative effects. But, whenever she handles one and puts it away, she always wipes 'em down with a rag... same as I do. Even my stainless guns get the same treatment.

And yes, for SOME folks the pistol-gripped Marllin's slightly higher comb MAY seem to impart more recoil. IMO, the Texan, (I think that's what the TS is), with its lighter weight will have more actual recoil; but an individual's stature, grip, posture, cheek weld, even facial structure could make the heavier rifles felt recoil more punishing.

Again, IMO, the TS will be worth more in the long run, IIRC, they don't make 'em anymore, AND if you find it does hurt, you'll be able to recover your investment... the Davidson's "Special", maybe not so much!

Edited to add: Oh yea, Image And Welcome to the Forum! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Thanks for the warm welcome. You're near unanimous on the straight grip, which is where the practical side leans for me. Plus, it will be an apples to apples with my 94 when it comes back from refinishing.

Yes, it's stainLESS, LOL. Everything gets a wipedown, for sure!.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! I'm a straight-stock lever-action kind of guy, so would go with that!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have never noticed any difference in the recoil department between a pistol grip or straight stocked gun. I prefer the straight stocks but the pistol grip does seem to give you better trigger geometry.

Tough call on those two. Better get both.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just to be different, I'd say I prefer the 'pistol-grip' leverguns (don't really know why - maybe a bit more comfy for my hand, mostly, plus I think they look prettier), and I REALLY like stainless (preferably a matte finish). However, no finish is indestructable, and matte ones in particular.

One other consideration as a tie-breaker could be WHICH one is the least likely you'll ever see one like again...? Sometimes one of the 'good deals' is just a good deal on something you see every once in awhile, and the other 'good deal' is something you'll be very unlikely to see again. In that case, vote one for the scarcer item.

Whichever you get, you'll no doubt find it very suitable, and you'll no doubt still keep hunting around for the other one to get later. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

AJMD429 wrote:Just to be different, I'd say I prefer the 'pistol-grip' leverguns (don't really know why - maybe a bit more comfy for my hand, ...)
I couldn't agree more. A pistol grip feels much more natural to me and more pleasing to my eye. I don't have a lot of wrist flexibility so the pistol grip feels much better.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

madman4570 wrote:Welcome!
Straight grip (blued)$350
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Straight it is. I can't believe this thing will cycle empty cases! :shock: Wow...much faster action than my 94. 8) Winnie is currently off to be refinished, but already I don't think they'll be a need to hold onto it. Ok, perhaps that is a bit rash, LOL. The proof will be in the side-by-side.

Even the butt-plate on this TS has some thought. Coarsely checkered where it makes contact. Yet, the upper heel is smooth, and gently curved so as not hang up as you shoulder it. :wink:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pneuby wrote:Winnie is currently off to be refinished, but already I don't think they'll be a need to hold onto it. Ok, perhaps that is a bit rash

Keep both of them. Variety is good for you. I have four rifles in 30-30. All different, all fun to shoot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

damienph wrote:
pneuby wrote:Winnie is currently off to be refinished, but already I don't think they'll be a need to hold onto it. Ok, perhaps that is a bit rash
Keep both of them. Variety is good for you. I have four rifles in 30-30. All different, all fun to shoot.
.30-30s are what makes the world a wonderful place. I only have 3 Marlins, but about 35 or 36 Winnies. Well, more if you count the clones... 24 of them are .30-30s, 6 more mdl 94 Winchester parts guns that are in various stages of build... all of which will be .30-30 (unless I decide to change that all of a sudden)! :?

While I like my Marlins, the Winchesters are just so much more lovable! Maybe the action is slower, but you won't find me admitting to it. The Winchester just seems to "fit" me so much better!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!