Winchester 1886 Takedown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
frankjg
Levergunner

Winchester 1886 Takedown

Post by frankjg »

1st its new to me

I have seen a few comments about removing the rebound function of the hammer and the safety on the tang. Is there a real reason for doing these mods?

Thanks
Frank G
Aggiecubpilot
Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1886 Takedown

Post by Aggiecubpilot »

Howdy Frank!

The general consensus is that the rebound feature causes inconsistant primer strikes/ignition and therefore accurracy loss. I have an 86 extra light and my particular rifle had a missfire about one out of 10 shots so I ground off the the rebounding leg a little bit and all is well now. Shoots pretty decent also. Enjoy your rifle! They are wonderful handling and shooting pieces!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The rebounding hammer assembly results in a creepy mushy trigger pull and frankly--- it is not historically correct. As far the tang safety ---- it does make the gun more 'idiot proof", but again if you follow safe gunhandling procedures --- its a solution to a non existant problem. I have about a dozen USRA lever guns with this arrangement and 1 by 1 --- they get retrofitted as I start shooting them. :lol: I do keep the factory parts though so they can be returned to 'original' condition.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

If you are referring to the Miroku/Winchester 1886 takedown made in Japan, yes I have one.

Mine is a .45-90 and when new, the trigger pull was an atrocious 11+ pounds, the action a bit stiff, and there was an occasional misfire (weak hit on primer). I had the good fortune of hunting doves that fall with a cowboy action shooter who also slicked up lever action rifles for competition, so he took my 1886 and did an action and trigger job and removed the rebounding hammer feature. He left the tang safety because I am accustomed to same from years of shooting SxS shotguns.

The action is now as slick as my 100 years old 1892 and the trigger pull is four pounds. This seems a perfect combination as the rifle has been hunted some and it seems to fire and reload itself.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
frankjg
Levergunner

Post by frankjg »

Yes, that is the gun I have. About the rebound function, is there a description of how to remove it?

Thank You
Frank G
frankjg
Levergunner

Post by frankjg »

jumped before I looked. Found a great how to.

Frank
Frank G