Waaaaaay OT! Table Saw Rust Removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DougB
Levergunner

Waaaaaay OT! Table Saw Rust Removal

Post by DougB »

Forum members here have dealt with rust in the past on firearms, and I knew somebody here would have some advise on rust removal. A bit different scenario here!

I am purchasing a table saw that requires a lot of cleanup on the table top. I have used steel wool with aerosol "rust knockers" and a lot of elbow grease and sanders with fine grit sandpaper successfully in the past, but.....there must be an easier way.

Any advise?
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Waaaaaay OT! Table Saw Rust Removal

Post by JBledsoe »

The rust removal methods as you describe are the best and they are a lot of work. The only other suggestion is to sand the rust down until very smooth and then apply a chemical to convert it to a blue black finish similar to parkerizing used on military weapons. The chemical can be found at NAPA and other auto parts stores.
Another method that works (maybe) is to coat the object with petroleum jelly (Navel jelly?) and let it set for a few days, then clean it off.

Good luck.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I have heard that smaller items can be cleaned by boiling a solution of boraxo and water. Then the steel needs immediate attention because it will rerust fast. I'd suppose a hot solution of boraxo might be swabbed on the table and scrubbed about and rinsed clear. Borax is used in welding and brazing fluxes as it is a good reducing agent(reversing oxidation reactions). The rust converter Bledsoe reccomends does protect well against future rusting. I use it on carbon steel needlenose pliers on the boat- keeps them alive for a season.
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

JBledsoe wrote:
Another method that works (maybe) is to coat the object with petroleum jelly (Navel jelly?) and let it set for a few days, then clean it off.

Good luck.

You know.....I didn't think of the Navel Jelly idea. That might work. I'm guessing if I were to cover it with some tinfoil it might even work a bit better. Wouldn't tend to "dry out" as fast perhaps?
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rotary wire brush on an angle-grinder or drill or even router...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Doc's got it right.. angle grinder with a wire brush on board.. follow up with a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax.. and watch out fer yer fingers.. everything will slide super easy.. (bought my first table saw at Sears in Detroit in 1970.. a cast iron 10 inch brute.. Hardware Week on sale for $99.. still use it..) built a kitchen for a guy accross the street.. built the cabnets, doors, counter tops and laminated them with formica and set the sink for something like $350
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I restored ESNAB (every single nut and bolt) of a 30 yr old motorcycle that had suffered poor storage. Old paint and rust came off the frame easily with a 3M stripper disc that chucks in a drill motor It looks like ultra-coarse scotchbrite (almost spaghetti-sized strands) and works a treat. Look in either paint or autobody at Walmart. As soon as ya get er clean, slobber a heavy coat of paste furniture wax on the bare metal top and let it set a day or two then buff it off with a coarse cotton cloth (denim works). That way ya won't contaminate yer fine wood projects with paint, etc.
Certified gun nut
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I use navel jelly on all my rust removal followed by hot clear water. Navel jelly most certainly does not like gun bluing so be cautious. I believe 3-n1 oil or one of its similar products cuts rust pretty good.

rimrock