OT - Suggestions For A New Glock Shooter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT - Suggestions For A New Glock Shooter

Post by Blaine »

My SIL just got on at Dept of Corrections and will be issued a Glock 9 or 40. I have a Glock 36 (single stack .45acp). They all break down the same and the trigger is the same and He'd like me to take him out for practice. Now: I'm sure the Dept. have their own training program and I don't want to show him anything that will have to be unlearned........ So, I'll just let him put some rounds downrange and let his work show him technique......That sound about right? Any suggestions?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

As a Glock owner and a person with some L.E. training, I'd say your on the right track. No use teaching habits that will need to be unlearned. He'll be better off just getting used to the handling, loading, and field stripping of a Glock.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When he gets his issue Glock I would buy the corresponding .22 conversion unit and make every effort to wear it out as fast as possible. Shoot as much as he can afford. It's all a mater of muscle memory.
Try readin up at glocktalk.com

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

Yep, I agree...just a general plinking session...maybe at cans and such, no paper.

I use any excuse to post a picture 8)

1st generation 17L longslide

2nd generation 17

3rd generation 26

3rd generation 20 OD
C&L
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

How much handgun experience dose he have? I ask because the .40 glocks can be a bit snappy. Just have him ask what kind of training they will be doing and do your best to replicate it :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I had a Glock 36, and the only thing I had to get used to was the trigger - it seemed to have a longish take-up.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

The key to shooting a Glock effectively is TRIGGER RESET. Keep the trigger pulled after the shot and then only let off until you reset the striker and then pull again. As with any striker fired or any gun with trigger pretravel, if you feel the trigger move all the way back, you're not jerking it.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have the baby glock 27 .40 s&w. always thought the the 1911a1 was the cats' butt, till i got familiar with this one. don't think he can go wrong with a glock. enough variations out there to make anybody happy. not an expert, just a shooter.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

lever-4-life wrote:How much handgun experience dose he have? I ask because the .40 glocks can be a bit snappy. Just have him ask what kind of training they will be doing and do your best to replicate it :D
He has almost zero handgun experience. I've never shot a .40. Are they snappier than my little 36 in 45acp? My guess is no. I'll let him shoot my BFR....After a few 405s at 1500fps, the Glock will seem pretty calm.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

No handgun experience would dictate you start him out on a smaller caliber. STRESS the 4 rules constantly. Other than that I think you have it covered. Have fun!
ImageImageImage
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I want to get into shooting auto's sometime. My buddie has a Glock that I would like to shoot. It's a 22 in .40 S&W with an engraving on the side , "MSHP". I was told it meant "Martin Strunberg High Performance" but I don't know.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Suggestions For A New Glock Shooter

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:My SIL just got on at Dept of Corrections and will be issued a Glock 9 or 40. I have a Glock 36 (single stack .45acp). They all break down the same and the trigger is the same and He'd like me to take him out for practice. Now: I'm sure the Dept. have their own training program and I don't want to show him anything that will have to be unlearned........ So, I'll just let him put some rounds downrange and let his work show him technique......That sound about right? Any suggestions?
I'm telling the others you own a Glock. :wink:
Shh!, I gotta a 30.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:
BlaineG wrote:My SIL just got on at Dept of Corrections and will be issued a Glock 9 or 40. I have a Glock 36 (single stack .45acp). They all break down the same and the trigger is the same and He'd like me to take him out for practice. Now: I'm sure the Dept. have their own training program and I don't want to show him anything that will have to be unlearned........ So, I'll just let him put some rounds downrange and let his work show him technique......That sound about right? Any suggestions?
Shh!, I gotta a 30.
It's a very good tool, but it has no soul.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
jeepnik wrote:
Shh!, I gotta a 30.
It's a very good tool, but it has no soul.
Sorta like plastic holsters.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I shoot a glock 23 .40, I feel that the .40s kick more than .45s but it is more of a snap rather than a push. It is alot like shooting a .357 in a similar size gun. Im a wheel gun fan by and large but I have faith in any glock model.
Break on through to the other side!!!
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Get a walther P99 :D or sw 99
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Shhh.. don't tell anyone but I have a Glock too - a model 23. It is a wonderful tool, but that is how I consider it, a tool only. I wanted a full out, knock down, work all-the-time auto, and went with this. I do like the 1911A1 platform, but I owned a Colt 1991A1 officers size once, that just did not suit me - I should have started with the full size 1911 and to tell the truth I would love to have a current kimber 1911 - but when I have extra money, I usually shy away from handguns.

The 40 S&W recoil is snappy - more than the 9mm and the 45 is more of a push than snap.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

BlaineG wrote:
lever-4-life wrote:How much handgun experience dose he have? I ask because the .40 glocks can be a bit snappy. Just have him ask what kind of training they will be doing and do your best to replicate it :D
He has almost zero handgun experience. I've never shot a .40. Are they snappier than my little 36 in 45acp? My guess is no. I'll let him shoot my BFR....After a few 405s at 1500fps, the Glock will seem pretty calm.
I say "Yes" the 40 cal, when using factory stuff, has a sharper bite than the 45 or 9.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

jengel wrote:The key to shooting a Glock effectively is TRIGGER RESET. Keep the trigger pulled after the shot and then only let off until you reset the striker and then pull again. As with any striker fired or any gun with trigger pretravel, if you feel the trigger move all the way back, you're not jerking it.

At my Academy that's the way they taught me with my 1911 too. The TRIGGER RESET method actually works quite well with the 1911 too.

A little trigger time won't hurt him, some slow fire practice with a lot of emphasis on sight alignment, and focusing on the front sight will help out with his learning. Just leave the "drills" out. They will insist it's done "their way", from grip, to point, to sight acquisition, to fire, to scan, to holster. The methods I learned were well thought out and worked very very well. If it is anything like my training he will burn lots of ammo(mine was over a 1k rounds of handgun, +100 shotgun). I considered myself a very good shot going in and I saw a noticeable improvement in my shooting by the end. I had very good training IMHO.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I agree on learning to use the short reset, and on trying a .22 conversion unit. I used a G22 as a duty pistol for about 2.5 years, but switched to a SIG P229 as soon as the DAK trigger option became available locally. (I have to provide my own duty pistol, with four DA .40 autos being on the approved list at that time.) One HUGELY important thing with the normal factory Glock trigger is to keep the finger OFF the trigger until the discharge of the weapon is desired; so many officers in my agency AD'ed and ND'ed their Glocks than it nearly became the first weapon that my agency banned. IMHO, a Glock is much like carrying a 1911, with the same trigger pull weight, in Condition Zero, that is, cocked and "unlocked." The Glock may have a longer trigger travel, but it is very, very light.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Looks like a lot of closet glockers around here. Interesting that we all seem to feel they're a good tool, but not much in the soul department.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

My defense pistols are big and little brothers, a 27 stubby and a 35 longnose.
I rechambered them for 357sig, Though they started life as .40smiths.
Yes, it's snappy, no you shouln't try to teach him to shoot for real until AFTER they have taught him, and I agree that a backyard session with pop bottles would help to familiarize. Give him a day, and have him back after they're done with him to further his training.
I'd start him on a 9mm if you can get one, and I too start with dry firing on snap caps to learn the trigger travel, then just plink for about one box worth.
If I didn't trust a Glock with my life, I wouldn't carry them.
And no, they don't have any soul.
Someday my 1911 will arrive from my gun sugar daddy, and that WILL be a fun day at the range! :D
bang.