Marlin or Winchester 30-30 or 32 Special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Marlin or Winchester 30-30 or 32 Special?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I tried to look up some threads to avoid this question. The search found Marlin and Winchester too common, go figure!

I am moving along with my new rifle. It started out as a 32 Special but 30-30 is fine. It will depend on the rifle.

The problem is Marlin or Winchester. This rifle will be for cast shooting and woods loafing and plinking. MG barrels and cast bullets don't concern me a bit. I currently own one of both and lke them. Scoping is not a plan so the Marlin has no advantage in that regard. Reports suggest the Marlin might be a little more accurate. The 94 is the classic lever.

Please remember many of us are loyal to a brand it doesn't make us right or wrong just loyal and educated about our own choices.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin or Winchester 30-30 or 32 Special?

Post by oregon73 »

I'll throw in my two cents. Both Winchesters and Marlins are great guns, but when it comes to woods-bumming, I like a Winchester 30-30, along with a Ruger Blackhawk.

Rob
NRA
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I prefer the model 94 but everybody has different tastes. When you get mobile again, you will just have to try each one on for fit. Better yet buy one of each, take them for a walk and decide which one stays and which one goes.
Sort of like Ford or Chevy, or blond or red head. Good luck.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I truly would not care. I have both in .30 and both are good. There are slight differences in handling feel of course but that is truly a personal decision. I would and do pick up either one as soon as the other.

That said, the .30 is going to be MUCH easier to do more with simply because of the availability of bullet molds, etc.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

WHile I am more a Marlin person i would have no problem with a nice PRE 64 Winchester !

Matter of fact I have a circa 1900 TD rifle in 30 WCF at the moment !

But if I chose a early Winchester 1894 against a Marlin 1893 I'd go with the Marlin !

As to carbine versions I've owned half a dozen of the Marlin 336SC's and I gotta say I like them better then the Winchester barrel band carbines of the same time period !
I had a trio od the 336SC's that were made before 1953 in 30-30 , 32 and 35 . And all three of them were dead on with cast bullets ! I used Lyman peep sights on all three of those rifles .

Now as to the caliber I have a personal preference for the 32 Special over the 30-30 but like many many others that contemplated the same thing my choice is just that a personal choice ! I like the 32 and there is nothing wrong with the 30-30 !

Matter of fact I would have no problem with either in a nice old ballard rifled Marlin 336SC using the appropriatte Ranch Dog cast bullet !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

For the last 10 years or so my "favorite rifle" has been a 1950 era Marlin 336A (24" bbl, 2/3 magazine) in 30/30. Granted I don't own a model 64 Winchester which would be a better test of "favorite-ness". Went shooting yesterday with a couple of the grandkids and their familys, and though I might still have to go with the Marlin there were some pretty strong votes amongst the crew for 1) that old 1894 Winny 32 spcl I put a picture of in one of your threads and 2) Remington m141 pump in 30 Rem. And I have to say they are all pretty fun to shoot. I think (heresy?) the Remington would have won out if it had a nice peep rather than an old slightly fuzzy scope.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I enjoy carrying a Win 94 over the Marlin because of the "feel". A straight grip Marlin moves up a notch with me, but still does not surpass the Win. I happen to like 32 Spl too, but for the situations you described, the 30WCF would win out for me. A pre-'64 Win 94 in 30-30 would do just fine.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm a Marlin kinda guy. Much easier to clean, scope, etc..
And they're more accurate than I am!

30-30 or 32 Special? I've never owned a 32 Special, but I
like the cartridge. No major advantage over the 30-30, and
factory ammo is not quite as plentiful, but it's a cool cartridge.

For me, I'd look for the gun I wanted and not worry about the
caliber if either one would do.

-Stretch
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whichever appeals to YOU more. Of course he standard answer here - and I agree - is both! Then compare and let us know why.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

For me, this would truly be a toss-up. I would give the Marlin a slight edge for ease of maintenance; the 94, for being just a bit -- a very little bit -- lighter, slimmer, handier. Flip a coin.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Fred Hit the Nail on the Head....BOTH. Marlin with a scope, and Winchester with a peep sight. You can do Anything with them.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Marlin in 32 Special, no real need to think on it further. But, what do I know.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well a late pre-64 94 is looking good. The price is doable and I'm negotiating. The rifle pics seem ok and the seller has a good rep. on our primary Canadian trading site.

It is a bone stock 32 Special and I'm waiting on confirmation of condition and the SN for dating.

No Marlin 32s available and this one is priced in budget.

I plan a tang peep and the Winchester is easy to outfit with one.

Edit: I've agreed to take the rifle. I'm waiting on the electronic handshake so it isn't quite done yet but we have been negotiating on it and I'm confident.

It is a 1957 94 and not beat up in the pictures or damaged. looks like a typical deer rifle, got some age but probably not too many boxes of shells down the tube. The wood is a dark walnut and that suits me perfectly. Will update soon.

I just wanted the 32 Special and in the end chose a 94 because I've never owned one and I really like my 92. Got Winchester, got Marlin, had BLR (not going back there), one empty slot in safe, gotta get a Savage. Lever shooters are not sick but are men and women of common sense and good judgement, sure ... !