Great Gun Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Great Gun Day

Post by edwardyoung »

Today was a great gun day. The 1960-vintage 336 Texan I bought from pullnshoot25 showed up today with a vintage 4X Redfield scope. The action is super smooth from decades of use. It shoots straight and looks great. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=3150

I also got back my stainless Mil-Spec today from Springfield. I traded into it a month ago and found that the frame-to-slide fit was loose enough to let the disconnector fail to keep the hammer from dropping with the slide out of battery. I was surprised because this is a new gun(May, 2007). They replaced the disconnector and tightened the frame-to-slide fit. There is absolutely no discernible movement of the slide or barrel. I was planning on trading it off when I got it back; but I think I'll be keeping it, now. Springfield did a fantastic job on this one. They had it for just two weeks.

Just wanted to share my good day.
Last edited by edwardyoung on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Good deal I saw that gun in classifieds. If I had had the green I would have made a grab for it myself.

So when can we expect the range report?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Well, at 40 yards it shoots minute-of-spinach-can. They literally exploded when hit by the 170-grain Rem CORE-LOKTs. It was getting dark, and I wanted to shoot something. I wouldn't have eaten that spinach, anyway. Nothing better than shooting expired canned vegetables for a reactive target. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

edwardyoung wrote:Well, at 40 yards it shoots minute-of-spinach-can. They literally exploded when hit by the 170-grain Rem CORE-LOKTs. It was getting dark, and I wanted to shoot something. I wouldn't have eaten that spinach, anyway. Nothing better than shooting expired canned vegetables for a reactive target. :D
Shooting stale beer is also a blast. Shake it up some and then wammo!!! :D

Congratulations on both!!! 8)
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You never can trust those cans of spinach. It is probably for the best that you got them before they had a chance to conspire and get you in your sleep :wink:

Try milk jugs filled with red jello. I know the effects of .45colt out of a trapper is quite explosive I imagine that results with the 30-30 would be similar. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:Try milk jugs filled with red jello. I know the effects of .45colt out of a trapper is quite explosive I imagine that results with the 30-30 would be similar. :D
2 liter soda bottles filled with any color jello are very impressive, but the cleanup is a hassle; so now I just use plain water... bottles are usually in two pieces, and the lawn's watered!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Not to hijack the thread, but I used the exploding-bottle technique when I taught my stepdaughter to shoot (she was circa 12 years old). I wanted her to know the serious power of firearms, and drama is a great helper.
I showed her a little bitty .22 LR and then used the bullet to shoot a (previously shaken, and warm to boot) can of Diet Pepsi. BLAMMO! Soda everywhere and the can was ripped from stem to stern. "Just think, little girl, what that bullet could do to you or me if the firearm were mishandled."
At 23 years old she is a darned good shot and safe, too.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
edwardyoung wrote:Well, at 40 yards it shoots minute-of-spinach-can. They literally exploded when hit by the 170-grain Rem CORE-LOKTs. It was getting dark, and I wanted to shoot something. I wouldn't have eaten that spinach, anyway. Nothing better than shooting expired canned vegetables for a reactive target. :D
Shooting stale beer is also a blast. Shake it up some and then wammo!!! :D

I DO like that beer idea, just not sure what "stale" beer would be. Is it really in your house long enough to go bad.....LOL. Actually on further review that could be considered..."alchohol abuse!!" Sorry, I could not resist! And, any can of spinach, expired or not would prove to be a viable target, maybe for my .450 marlin! :lol: :lol:
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Nice looking Texan, I would like to find one of these someday to "complete" my collection. Now, about all this talk of vegetable and beer abuse...... :shock:
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

Edward...you and that scoped rifle going deer hunting with me next season?

C&L
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Cocked & Locked wrote:Edward...you and that scoped rifle going deer hunting with me next season?

I'd like that.

What did you shoot that deer with? There's hardly anything left. :)