.45-70 Mold?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

.45-70 Mold?

Post by Swampman »

Anyone using the LEE-90268 45-70 caliber, .459" diameter, 405 grain, hollow base bullets in their ballard rifled Marlin?
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .45-70 Mold?

Post by Swampman »

anyone?
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm not, but I just figured a little 'BTT' reply might help get someone who IS doing so to notice... :wink:

No doubt someone on the forum is doing so.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Anyone?

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I recall reading one guy who managed to extract more versatility out of the same mould and been meaning to try it myself. He used it as its intended, however when he wanted to increase the velocity he would put the cast pills through a 0.451 sizer and then paper patch them to 0.460 - the hollow base being used to tuck the end of the paper patch into. The bullets were cast soft and the paper patch protected the bullet allowing high velocity.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I do that exact combination. Marlin1895CB. Lee 405 gr hollow base cast out of really hot pure lead, lubed with SPG. I compress 62 gr. of Goex 2f enough to thumb push the bullet down to the front land resting on the powder in a primed unresized case with no wad at all. I then apply just enough of a crimp on the case neck to hold the bullet in place so I can load three or four in the magazine.

They feed flawlessly and shoot 3" groups at 100 yds. all day long with open sights. I've killed several deer with it. I don't even think that bullet knows there was a deer in the way when it goes by. I don't know the velocity, but am thinking 1100-1200 fps at the muzzle. Doesn't matter. It hits them like a sledge hammer. It's all I hunt with anymore. Too much fun. I swear I can hear the wagons and the horses on the two tracks when I'm sitting in the woods with it.
de k8bor

Dave