Turkey Season Soon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Turkey Season Soon

Post by Swampman »

Here's my gun and calls. It's an NEF Turkey Gun (interchangeable choke tubes) with a laminated NWTF engraved stock set that I bought off eBay. It's getting close to turkey season. My son bought me the Case XX Trapper for Christmas. I collect vintage box calls.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looking good Swampman! I have a similar setup but mine an older H and R Topper that you saw in the old photo. Now, that looks like a 3.5" shell, and I would imagine that would get interesting touching off on an old Tom in that Single. I've shot the shorty Mossberg's in that chambering and I'm still looking for my fillings at the range :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Thisun's rough on both ends;) It is a 3 1/2".
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I really like the lines on those NEF's. I am warming up to having inter-changeable chokes; my next shotgun will probably have a threaded barrel.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I had my H & R(on left)shortened to 21" and an interchangable choke tube system installed(Colonial Arms). Cost about 80 bucks a few years ago. I'm not going to change out the choke though as I only chase things that gobble.

Last edited by C. Cash on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

turkey season

Post by joachim slim »

spring turkey season is my favorite time to hunt. i just love it. i also collect turkey calls. i had one of the largest collections in the midwest but sold a bunch of them to buy some property. guess whats all over the property :D :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I guess turkey season is sneaking right up on us. About two months away. :D

I'm partial to the NEF's too. For at least the last 10-11 seasons my turkey gun has been a NEF 10 ga. with extra full choke that I added a set rifle sights to. It kicks like a mule with those big 3 1/2" shells, but it really puts the hurt on ol' tom.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Can't wait. I'll be out listening in another 4 to 6 weeks. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets my blood stirring like hearing an out of sight gobbler pounding back at an owl hoot and knowing "He's talking to me".
Here's some of my beards. Do you folks keep yours too? I keep the beards, spurs and, if I find it or think to look, the shell. The ones with wads are muzzle loader scores that I found the wad. I also have a log that I have kept from the 70's. Current stats, 40 deer and 20 turkeys. Nice round numbers but I'm planning to change that soon. :wink:
Click Click Boom
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Season starts in Florida around march 21st
Cant wait
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I have to wait until April 28th for Massachusetts and I believe May 7th for Connecticut this year. It makes for a long dry period.

Dad and I use an H&R single shots. I have a 3.5" chambered 12 guage which has a steel weaver style mount tig welded to the top and an Aimpoint. It is the turkey gun for our style of hunting. We do a lot of moving around from one huntable patch to another.

I remember in my youth turkeys responding to an owl hoot. Now they have become educated and do not respond to the owl hoot. Basically we scout by going early in the morning and listening to them gobble off the roost or sighting them in different areas and making our best guess where they roost.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

bigbore442001 wrote:I have to wait until April 28th for Massachusetts and I believe May 7th for Connecticut this year. It makes for a long dry period.

Dad and I use an H&R single shots. I have a 3.5" chambered 12 guage which has a steel weaver style mount tig welded to the top and an Aimpoint. It is the turkey gun for our style of hunting. We do a lot of moving around from one huntable patch to another.

I remember in my youth turkeys responding to an owl hoot. Now they have become educated and do not respond to the owl hoot. Basically we scout by going early in the morning and listening to them gobble off the roost or sighting them in different areas and making our best guess where they roost.
I HAVE BEEN USING A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT "LOCATOR CALLS".
OF COURSE THE OWL CALL, WOOD DUCK CALL, DOG WHISTLE
CROW CALL, REGULAR WHISTLE, AND THE HORN IN MY TRUCK!
BUT THEY ONLY WORK THE FIRST HOUR OR SO....AND I ONLY
USE THEM ONCE...THE TURKEYS JUST DONT GOBBLE ONCE THEY
ARE ON THE GROUND AND START MOVING... WE HAVE A LOT OF HENS...
BUT MOST OF THE TIME I USE MY SLATE OR BOX CALLS. SOFT TREE
YELPS IN THE MORNING AND EXCITED YELPS AND CUTTING AT THE
END OF THE DAY...
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Gobblerforge wrote:Can't wait. I'll be out listening in another 4 to 6 weeks. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets my blood stirring like hearing an out of sight gobbler pounding back at an owl hoot and knowing "He's talking to me".
Here's some of my beards. Do you folks keep yours too? I keep the beards, spurs and, if I find it or think to look, the shell. The ones with wads are muzzle loader scores that I found the wad. I also have a log that I have kept from the 70's. Current stats, 40 deer and 20 turkeys. Nice round numbers but I'm planning to change that soon. :wink:
Unfortunately, the only beard that I own is my own: I have hunted only 4 or 5 seasons back here due to social situations which get out of my control. I hope to change the big doughnut to a flagpole this Spring!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

You mean there's a season on them?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hope to go for the first time this year.
Taking the course to get a licence on the 14th March.
Really looking forward to it.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I don't see how you fellers shoot 3 1/2" loads out of those light guns, My 935 was the most brutal gun I ever shot until it got a limbsaver pad on it.

I had taught a student of mine to turn realy small diameter stuff on the wood lathe. He was also big into turkey calling, and started turning strikers for slat/glass calls, and now has me doing it too. Seems like the heavier the wood is the better the striker is.

Our season opens here in Oklahome on the 6th of April, so the good Lord willin' I might get to call one up with a call I made myself. Of the 4 slate calls I've turned, onl 2 sound decent, but I gotta try. Abilene
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I hadn't gotten the film developed by I saw a flock of 20+ at Mom's just the other day. I have used the PCS gun in the past but truth be told, spring turkey hunting isn't a big thrill for me. Don't know why...

Now my late buddy Mike LOVED to call turkey. He'd tried every legal means of taking them with all sorts of loads and ended up with the standard 12 ga. 3" shell and a load of #6s. Around here that gave him all the range he could exploit and was safer in some set-ups. I think his last gun was a Remington 870 with interchangeable chokes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's only one shot. I don't even notice the recoil.

ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Whats a good manufacture of chokes i need a extra full choke for my remmy 11-87
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I agree with the one shot. When I shoot a max load in the lightweight single shot I can't feel a thing if it is aimed at a turkey. It seems that you don't notice anything but the interaction of sighting the bird, squeezing the trigger and recovery from the shot.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

after trial an error, rem hi brass #5,23|4" pattern best out of the 870 12ga. 18" riflesighted barrel with a extra-fullchoke.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Joe Reilly(86'r) recommended Colonial Arms and one other brand which I can't remember. Colonial has a website, but haven't looked to see if they offer extra full. I have their full in mine(patterns tight at 25-30 yards) and never fool with it.