Ghost ring for my 39A great, now about the 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Ghost ring for my 39A great, now about the 94

Post by JeffG »

I just put a Williams WDOS rear ramp on my 39A, with a Ghost Ring slid into the 3/8" dovetail. It's Great! I want to try the same thing with my 1979 Model 94. I like the traditional look of the rear ramp sight in it's original position. I don't like the receiver mounted ghost rings. I can't tell by looking how the ramp on the model 94 is held in place. It seems to be crimped into a small groove on either side of the barrel. Anyone have a suggestion on how to mount a ghost ring/ramp on a model 94? Thanks!
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The exact same way as your Marlin.

FYI - Peep sights are not designed to be used that far from the users eye. To do so reduces it's advantage in speed of use and accuracy from the increased sighting radius.

JMO, but anyone using a peep, that far from the eye, is shoveling sand against the tide because they cannot help but consiously center the front sight in the distant peep, "ghost" ring or not - ILO looking through a peep nearer the eye, w/o consiously seeing it, at the front sight.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have any pics of these options?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Your ramp sight should be tapped out with a brass punch just like your marlin. I bought one of those sights for the kids 22. For $15 can't go wrong. I tried one on my trapper and it works great. Like Pete said I wasn't too sure how it would work. But my eyes have no problem centering the bead quickly. I use a saddle ring sling and the side mount peeps get in the way of the sling. Thats why I tried it. Otherwise all my other 94's have side mounted peeps.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've used a peep in the original open sight dovetail (on the barrel) for several of my guns, although mostly as a 'backup' sight. I was surprised how EASY and ACCURATE I found the arrangement.

It IS totally different than a tang, or a rear-mounted peep, in terms of speed and the way you even use it. It's more like an open sight that isn't an open sight, whereas to me, a tang or rear-peep is somewhat more like a scope in that you have that sense of wide-open view.

Anyway, using a peep up front, if it is aligned properly, and you can see the front bead through the tiny hole, you KNOW you're on target. My setups are all using the peep as a backup for scopes using see-through rings, but I do really like it. For sights, I just use a Ruger Ranch Rifle replacement rear sight (the old kind) which are really cheap, and fold out of the way. They are definitely NOT 'target' sights in that once you adjust them, you loctite them and leave them alone.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Ok, here's some photos. The one photo with the peep aperture, I lifted off the internet (as a matter of fact, I lifted the whole idea off this fellow with the Rossi levergun), the others are my 39A.
The ghost ring works great with my 50 year old eyes, especially half way up the barrel. I sighted in my elevation a dusk. I started to lose the ghost ring in the low light (maybe some gold paint around the rear edge would brighten it up). I think small aperture peeps, work better close to your eye, because they restrict your eye to one small focus location behind the pin-hole, therefore your eye lines up consistently with the two sights. I think the ghost ring works better further from your eye, because the three points (your eye/the ghost ring/the front hood and post) MUST be in a straight line to see the front post at all.
My eye automatically centers the front hood inside the blurry ghost ring, then all I need to do is put the top-knob of the post on my target...and pull the trigger, of course.

-Albert Einstein
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Give the guy his due...here's the link to the Rossi article
http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rossi.htm

-Albert Einstein