CA gun reg info please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

CA gun reg info please

Post by Grizz »

hello Californians

Is a vehicle considered a domicile when you're sleeping or camping in it, while it's not moving?

If so, THEN is it legal to have a firearm under the covers with you? A handgun?

If it is so for a trailer or camper, then is it so also for a van?

OR does the state expect the honest people to die like dogs at the hands of the other people?

I would like to be in compliance when I dash thru your lovely countryside.

Grizz
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: CA gun reg info please

Post by gak »

I've wondered same re CA--where the hard core criminals seem to be the ones under protection--coming from a state where this area of discussion is one of the few things we seem to do right these days :)
I used to car-tromp/camp California without a second thought, but that's been a long while.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Technically, if you're in an established campground, you are fine. Stopping in a rest/truck stop isn't considered a campsite and could mean trouble. I'll see if I can find the exact regs, but it may take a while.
Well done is better than well said.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Go to the California Rifle & Pistol Association website and purchase a copy of "Summary Of California Gun Laws & Basic Safety Rules". This is a sort of Cliff's Notes booklet that will answer questions about California gun laws.

Basically, the booklet classifies motorhomes as a "gray area" because the terms "temporary residence" and "campsite" are not defined in Penal Code Section 12031. Established campgrounds with hookups should qualify. Roadside stops likely do not. Final say would be decided by a jury if you were charged with a crime.

I keep a shooter handy any time and anywhere I camp, laws be darned. I'd be happy to take my chances with a jury. They are more likely than any politician to appreciate common sense.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As stated, it can be a gray area. Here's the problem. In a camp site, the camp site is like your home. So, you're legal. Ranger types know this, and even the rabid antigunner rangers (there's a bunch in California) know they can't win so they ignore you. Roadside rest stops you have to have it unloaded in a locked container, with the ammo stored separately, just like any other vehicle.

Now here is where it can and has gotten tricky. You may be legally possessing a handgun. It may be in a legal configuration. But if you have a meeting with a LEO, he may not know that it's legal. Oh, you will eventually be vindicated, but it will take time and money.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Where is my brain. Try http://www.calguns.net/ They have loads of info.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I long haul also, and WILL NOT EVER DARKEN THE DOOR TO CALIFORINIA FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER!!! I own my own rig and flatbed and dispatch myself... thank you very much... and another thing... This being DOT driver appreciation week, I decided to take the week off, and go Kokanee fishing in Lake Cour d Alene ... have the second batch in the smoker as I type this... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK, so my minivan, when I am asleep in it, is only my "domicile" if it's in certain places, but not so in others. Despite the fact that I sleep in it a month or more every year. Arrrrrrg.

I feel like my civil rights are infringed.

Thanks for the info guys

Grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Shasta wrote: I'd be happy to take my chances with a jury. They are more likely than any politician to appreciate common sense.

SHASTA
And that just may be the understatement of the year!!! :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Grizz,

Sorry to sound sarcastic but we no longer have any civil rights. Especially concerning firearms. We lost those with the passing of the GCA68. All we have now is civil privileges. Subject to withdrawal at the whims of the govt. If you don't believe that then you best hope your background check comes back squeaky clean the next time you ask the govt permission to buy a gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:OR does the state expect the honest people to die like dogs at the hands of the other people?
Yep. Just like Illinois, etc...
Les Staley wrote:I long haul also, and WILL NOT EVER DARKEN THE DOOR TO CALIFORINIA FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER!!! I own my own rig and flatbed and dispatch myself...
When I was an assistant dispatcher for Mayflower, on about the third day my boss explained to me why it was easier to get a guy to deadhead from Portland to Indianapolis, just to pick up a half-load to Cincinnati (ok, I may be stretching it a bit), than to get him to take a full trailer from Portland to New York or New Jersey. It was because of the ridiculous gun laws they have there. Illinois was a necessary evil, and they'd go through it, but you couldn't get them to stop without arm twisting big time.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I see a few posts here that reflect the way I feel about it, which is: you only have the rights your lawyer can negotiate for you.

You have LEO's who enjoy their personal power-trip by making your life miserable, even when they know they are wrong and you are within your "rights."
You have LEO's who just don't know what to do in that situation, so they do the CYA and defer the whole mess to the "justice" system.
You have LEO's that may not know what to do in that situation, but make a judgment call in your favor.
You have LEO's that don't care about it and tell you to just be careful.

So, statistically speaking, you have a 50% chance your lawyer will not become involved.

And to Grizz I would say YES, based on much of what I've read, many of our beloved duly-elected Kali politicians want the honest citizenry murdered at the hands of criminals and the criminal citizenry then brought to "justice" and put into prison, but released early due to overcrowding and budget cuts.
--- once you get the hang of things in the PRK, it all makes perfect sense, and one stops fretting about it.

Cheers,

Carl
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK OK it's as I suspected.

BUT, how about my 20 ga? It's small enough to put under the sleeping bag, and I can get it up to the window if I need to. Are 'lil 'ol shotguns equally feared and loathed by caliticians?

Yeah Joe, I know. The only guaranteed right we have left is the right to remain silent.

thanks for the replys

Grizz
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Shotgun would be great... no ballistics.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.