OT - Kimber Caprivi in 458 lott

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Kimber Caprivi in 458 lott

Post by rjohns94 »

Posted this over on Nitroexpress. I had thought I had a 470 nitro express in a double coming, but the deal fell through. so: Well I was waffling back and forth between double in 470NE, and a bolt rifle in .458 magnum. After going round and round and not finding the double that really stirred me, I came across the Kimber Caprivi in .458 Lott. Did some reading about the short comings of the .458 win mag with "compressed" loads, not shooting up to factory specs in shorter (22inch) barrels, etc etc. Now, I have shot the .458 Win mag and liked it and didn't experience any problems but I had not used it on ANY game, much less dangerous game. While I am still looking for the 470NE double, I decided the Kimber Caprivi offered all the features I desire in such a rifle, has nice looks and was offered in the .458 Lott that supposedly takes care of all the short comings the .458 seemed to have, albeit, in a longer action. Anyway, I purchased a new one today after looking at lots of pictures of the wood in the grip area and getting a much below retail price. I ordered the scope bases for the rifle just to have them in case I want to mount the Swarovski PH variable 1.4-4 I have in the gun cabinet. Rifle should be here in the next couple of weeks. here is the link to the Kimber caprivi: http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/caprivi

Any experience with this caliber in the game fields or range? Anything wrong with the Caprivi? I plan on using this for a water buff hunt in july? and for future back up to the double. With the money I saved on this rifle over a double, and on the ammo, over NE ammo, I might could pay for that plains game trip to RSA in August. All in all, I think I'm pleased with the choice (until I get schooled by the experience here!!!!) Pictures to follow once it arrives.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Kimber Caprivi in 458 lott

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, I've looked the Caprivi over a number of times and always thought it would be one to add to the bucket list. Good job. I don't think you can go wrong with the rifle. The caliber, I don't know. I think it's a kicker.
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Outstanding Amigo!! :mrgreen:

That is one nice looking rifle! Gotta kick like a Moscow Mule but will get any job done I'm sure.

Hope you hang on to that one! :D
Looking forward to some range and game reports.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know the first thing about something like that, but I bet it don't kick much worse than a 1895, sort of a lightweight, with a max load behind a 405gr bullet.... It sure is pretty. It's nicer looking than the CZ equiv., but sort of pricey. :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

No real expertise here other than shooting a 458 lott in a Ruger#1 with the factory sights.
Recoil was stiff about like shooting slugs in a 12ga.I was able to hit a 10" gong at 100yrd off
hand with the factory iron sights and 500gr solids.That gong thumped hard that day!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I was surprised to see just 5 entries in 1000 Tags Filled for the 458 Win and less for the Lott. I seem to remember more clients than that using the cartridge, but the booklet does not include the last 3.5 years. The data shows very little travel after the shot for big animals, all with 500 grain bullets. I've seen the 458 in Win and Lott versions used in the field no less than 10 times and has been very effective. The only "bad" results were a 350 grain loading and a 450 grain loading that did not penetrate in a buffalo with the first shot at 30 yards. As far as the rifle, I like it very much and would encourage a client to use one. I personally cannot use one for PH work because the 3 position Mauser safety just does not disengage all the way with one flick of my thumb. That goes for all the rifles that use that kind of safety. For PH work I personally must have a tang safety like the old model Ruger, CZ (Brno), Zastava M98 and similar safeties. It should serve you well for anything you're after. I highly recommend the Rhino 500gr bullets @ 2200 fps for the widest expansion/ most penetration/ best weight retention. That is the bullet/specs I use in my 450 NE 3.25 and it has been awesome on everything from hogs to lion to buffalo. I use the Dzombo solid at the same speed for same point of impact. Best of luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am no African Hunter by any sense of the word .

But I have used and own or owned several guns chambered for Big Nasty's !

Did the 375 H&H and 416 REM MAG in bolt guns and killed game with them here stateside . Later I sold them both and got Ruger #1H's in the same calibers .

Also done a fair amount of reloading and shooting of 416 Rigbys and 505 Gibbs bolt actions . So you would assume recoil was not an issue .

Well about a year ago I got a great deal on an older LNIB Ruger #1H in 458 WIN MAG along with dies , brass and projectiles . So I bought the thing and shot the loads with the gun .

I shot some very very nice iron sighted 50 yard groups from the bench with that one and a couple decent groups from 100 yards with a scope on top . But let me tell you , of all the "African" cartridge guns I have fired that one plain stomped the shite out of me and a couple others . Now with that being said you asked about the Lott . Well the Lott takes a little more powder then the WIN MAG so therefore has to kick a bit more .

Anyway in my somewhat limited opinion , if it were me I would steer clear of the Lott !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !