OT - christening the new boat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

OT - christening the new boat

Post by bdhold »

We got out early to get a good spot on the San Marcos River
We christen thee Erin II, may you always bring us home safely (Virgil's Root Beer - we drank the rest)
and she's off
beautiful stretch of river
the charger at rest (waiting for the rest of our party)
time for a break
on your mark
get set
go
yee haw
ride 'em
that was great !
Olevern
Levergunner

Re: OT - christening the new boat

Post by Olevern »

Wasn't sure after reading the title that I wanted to open this thread :lol: Nice boats.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That looks like a whole raft of fun. Do any fishing around there?

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some fun now. :D :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

There were some people out fishing that morning, and it's one of the best smallmouth rivers in TX, but the river gets overrun with tubers and kayakers so we were gone before lunch. The festivities were to christen my daughter's new boat. We have a week at the coast coming up.
I also have another surprise for her - she's such an aggressive high-angle paddler I'm getting her a Werner Shuna paddle - could buy a Marlin for what the paddle cost, but it's perfect for her.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hey that looks like fun, great pics thanks for sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like you had a good time. I've always loved playing in the water, but never kayaked. And, this homeslice doesn't do the ocean. No trees to climb.
Old Law Dawg
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

The TX coast is lined with barrier islands, and we fish the skinny flats behind them. We have to cross channels with big boats in them, but we can paddle and fish for miles and miles in calf-deep water
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That gulf area is very attractive. Glad you get to enjoy it that way. A boat on the water is almost always the best spot on earth.

Grizz
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

How is the stablity in her boat? looks fairly wide. maybe and old guy like me could handle one?? Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Hi J,
The Heritage Redfish is a flat-bottomed boat and is completely stable. It's the newest hull design from the same guy who designed my Wilderness Tarpon 160 (he sold the company and started Heritage). Her 10' boat is 2" wider than my 16' boat. The surprising part is that even with my 220 lbs, her 10'er still glides beautifully and very efficiently. For a day on the flats, I would much rather be in my Tarpon, but part of the reason I bought it was so that when she wasn't looking, I could use it as a river boat - it turns on a dime.
Of course, the Redfish 12 makes more sense for someone my size, but the Redfish 10 was the right boat at the right time for us (and it's only 44 lbs, vs. 75 for my big boat) (If I was buying a river boat for me, it would be a Jackson Coosa - if you check the Jackson ad, they show somebody standing up in it, but don't believe it - this is a river boat made to rock and turn - every boat sold now has to show somebody standing up in it - does have a nice high seat, though).

They're making boats now that really are built to stand in - a couple of boats made out of ABS (instead of polyethylene, which brings the weight down and cost up) - KC K12 and Diablo Adios - both are $1400 and are not the best flats boats (i.e., big coastal wind) but would be good for rivers and any other small water. They're also putting taller seats in these boats. The seat in the KC moves on rails and you can put in a pair of seats if you want - it's like a little catamaran pirogue.
Last edited by bdhold on Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS