45 Long Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

45 Long Colt

Post by RustyJr »

Can anyone recommend a good factory load in 45 Long Colt that would be suitable for deer and hogs out of a Henry Big Boy? The rifle belongs to a friend of mine so reloading is not possible at this time. Also it seems to feed round nose flat points well but semi-wadcutters take a little more force to feed into the chamber. The rifle has less than 20 rounds through it so it may just need to be "broke in". Not sure of the manufacturer of these rounds but they are definately cowboy level loads judging by the amount of recoil.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Hobie

Re: 45 Long Colt

Post by Hobie »

Any of the factory jacketed HP loads will do. All will not have much recoil. I would not put more ooomph in loads used in the Big Boy.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Does the Big Boy have strength issues. I was under the impression that it was pretty stong. Is this not correct?

Thnks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

folks at henry said i could use any factory load including +p
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

This is my most-favorite ammo and is awesome in my Winchester Trapper. Incredibly accurate for me: at 50 yards it groups at 1-1/2" and at 100 yards I can keep it inside a 3" circle. Last week I was at the range and put a bowling pin at 60 yards: 18 shots, 18 hits as the pin moved out to 100 yards.
45 Colt +P 250-gr (Hornady XTP/HP bullet)
http://www.underwoodammo.com/Pistol.html

Buffalo Bore has 2 new lead-free loadings. For those of us who exist in Kali, we need lead-free hunting ammo:
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... tail&p=255
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... tail&p=253

Corbon has a loading:
http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORBON-Hunter ... 00/Product

Cheers,

Carl
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Guys, we're shirking our duty; someone has to pipe-up and comment that you don't have to use the word "Long" in .45 Colt... :roll:

If you look around, you can find JSP loads or JHP loads, like Hobie said, and they would be good. Most local gun shops wouldn't stock them, though.

I do think I read on this forum a ways back that 'Ruger' loads were find in the Henry, but you'd need to use the "search" to see if so and what their basis was for saying that . . . or just call Henry - they are one of the BEST gun companies as far as fast, friendly, and reasonable (i.e. not just a bunch of 'disclaimer' gibberish) customer service.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Code: Select all

Also it seems to feed round nose flat points well but semi-wadcutters take a little more force to feed into the chamber. 
Howdy

Never force a round into the chamber, particularly with a lever gun. Many lever guns do not feed Semi-Wadcutters well. The Henry has a tilting carrier. The round rides up the carrier and enters the chamber at an angle. Much like a round riding up the chamber ramp of a 1911. The sharp shoulder of a Semi-Wadcutter bullet can hang up on the top edge of the chamber as it enters the chamber. That is why you are having trouble and have to force the round into the chamber.

Stick with a smooth bullet shape without any sharp edges. Round Nosed Flat Point bullets are best for many lever guns because of their smooth shape. A hollow point in a Round Nosed configuration will also be OK.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ya know, you could go fancy, but out of a rifle, there's a strong case to be made for something along the lines of Remington's service load. A 250 grain rnfp that runs 850 fps or so out of a revolver would do 1100 or better from yer rifle, and punch a hole through about any hog or deer.... Handloading can produce lots of options, but if I was stuck to use factory fodder, I wouldn't have an issue going afield with that load.
Certified gun nut
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What adirondakjack said +1 . In the large bores. You don't need to push them. That big bullet will do the job at modest velocity and be fun to shoot also. :wink:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

These are very mild, feed in just about anything, were designed for hunting, and they're available in most gun shops in Tucson so I suspect you'll find them locally as well:

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-22 ... evolution/

They're only getting about 1000 fps with the 225 gr bullet out of a carbine, but at 100 yards it's still steaming along at 880 fps due to the wonderful bullet shape.

They're not terribly expensive either!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

RustyJr wrote:Does the Big Boy have strength issues. I was under the impression that it was pretty stong. Is this not correct?

Thnks,
RustyJr
I only said what I would do, or rather not do. I don't speak for anyone else and that's all there is to it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

here's another one ..... BVAC calls it a "bear load"
Bear Load 300 Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point, 950 fps.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM4950-1.html

Cheers,

Carl