Browning BL-22, How are they?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Browning BL-22, How are they?

Post by Slick »

I already have a Marlin 39a and an Ithaca 72 and have been keeping my eyes open for a Win. 9422. Winchesters are still overpriced and very few 9422’s come along for sale.

So, I was researching the Win. 1892 in .44mag that I have coming (made by Miroku) and read along the way that Miroku makes the Browning BL-22. I have never seen a poor-quality Miroku rifle (no matter whose name is on the thing), so I have been thinking about possibly picking one up.

The trouble is that I’ve never seen one in person and none of the guns stores near me carry them. If I buy one, I’ll have to order it and buy sight-unseen. I ordered my 1892 unseen from CDNN and it was sort of breathtaking to see a brand spanking new Winchester rifle carton and a letter-perfect rifle inside of the bag. This is my second Miroku and I’m thinking their quality is consistent enough that I could roll-the-dice again and should be able to get a nice rifle.

Who has a BL-2 or handled or shot one? Would you recommend one? I read lots of kudos on the short-throw the lever has. They are said to be rather small, so I expect that and it’s OK with me.

Thanks!
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
gvthnks
Levergunner

Re: Browning BL-22, How are they?

Post by gvthnks »

I have one and have had it for close to 20 years. I love the little rifle. Accurate, light weight and will feed S,L,LR easily in any order. Mine has finished off many pest and that I remember has never failed to load or fire.

The length of pull may be a little short for some tastes, but it's doable for me.

My only gripe is the wood. Nice fit to the metal, but the one I have has this bright finish that makes it look plastic. One day I'll strip that off and give it a decent finish.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like them!

Seems like you're working on a collection of .22 leverguns. One could say that is much more practical than say a collection of .30-30s... :wink: (hey, don't look at me that way)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

gvthnks wrote:I have one and have had it for close to 20 years. I love the little rifle. Accurate, light weight and will feed S,L,LR easily in any order. Mine has finished off many pest and that I remember has never failed to load or fire.

The length of pull may be a little short for some tastes, but it's doable for me.

My only gripe is the wood. Nice fit to the metal, but the one I have has this bright finish that makes it look plastic. One day I'll strip that off and give it a decent finish.
My experience as well except for the pest part. The neighbors get cranky if I pop something in the backyard. :lol: And yes, that poly coating on the stocks needs to go.

One thing I'll note though: if you're used to the Marlin throw, the BL will feel really odd. I went the other way. Started with a BL22 and years later picked up a 39. Never could get used to the longer throw of the Marlin so it went away.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Point/Counterpoint................. I've had a couple, over the years, a Grade II in the 70's, and a Grade I a few years ago because I thought I was mistaken when I sold the first one.

I wasn't.

For ME, the regular BL-22 is too light, as I tended to "overpower" it (my term) when handling it, and wasn't satisfied with either the accuracy nor the handling.

They WERE pretty, though - finely fitted/finished, with zero operating issues or malfunctions.

What IMHO IS a "nice" BL-22 is the somewhat scarce Grade II with the longer OCTAGON barrel - which handles better than the standard carbine by several orders of magnitude.

They are EZ to scope, and slightly a PITA to peep, although a clip-on peep will work. It's just that when the required higher front sight is installed, it will have to be fitted to the deep Browning/Miroku dovetail, as the ledge at the base of the replacement sight blade, just above it's male dovetail, is sometimes an interference fit with the top of the barrel just ahead/behind the front sight female dovetail slot. Ramp-mounted front sights are a tad less problematic.

It's not a deal-breaker, just be aware.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Ya know, it's odd. There are post for and against the BL but I can't find anything that I don't agree with. I bought one for a gift for Dad and shot it a good bit since. It's small and light, it has has a short throw and it's pretty with a highly polished wood finish. But everyone of those things is both really good AND really bad. I do have trouble adjusting to the trigger staying with the lever as you cycle it though.

I say buy one. Chances are you will really really like it. On the odd chance that you don't they are very easy to get rid of with minimal damage to the pocket book.

LK
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Thanks for the info guys. When I searched the forum for info on the BL-22, I didn’t find a whole lot about them. I can’t say that I like the high-gloss finish over the wood, but had read that 0000 steel wool can be used to knock the shine down. I did understand that this is a lightweight little rifle with a short pull. I’m OK with small rifles & short pulls as I have one of the Taurus 62C gallery pumps.

While collecting is certainly an element, I like having various .22’s for teaching new shooters and for guests when I get together with my larger shooting group. With ammo prices these days (even reloading), it’s too expensive to outfit a guest with a centerfire rifle for an entire weekend of shooting.

When I shoot (on my own range) I typically stay for two to three days and always bring a .22 pistol and rifle of some sort to keep my practice volume high and ammo costs lower. In my consideration of the BL-22, I just want to have a reasonable expectation that they are not troublesome in any way that I might have overlooked.

This has been very helpful for me and will serve to limit my expectations with regards to scopes or other sighting options. I’m one of those people that “hates the idea of scopes on lever guns” – but the reality of getting old is that optics become more necessary. None of my Miroku’s will ever wear scopes and I don’t plan to scope the BL-22 as I have an Ithaca 72 for that. Once again, the input is greatly appreciated.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I bought mine in 1968 (paid $115.00 for it the same day I paid $90.00 for my NIB Buffalo Bill Commemorative Winchester 94 - dealer was a good friend) and have shot it regularly since. I really like the short throw and balance of the rifle and I plink small pieces of wood and dirt clods on the 100 yard berm - which seems to me to be pretty acceptable accuracy.

I installed a Williams FPGR aperture rear sight (grips the ridges for scope mounting) - it doesn't stick out as much as this picture makes it look and works for me - did require a taller front sight.

I remove the aperture to give a ghost ring sight.

It is, by far, my favorite rimfire rifle
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

OJ wrote:I remove the aperture to give a ghost ring sight.

I like that idea and have done something similar on my 94, but used a Lyman "globe" front sight. The ghost sight / globe combination works well for my aging eyes as I'm trying to not resort to using a scope.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Slick wrote:
OJ wrote:I remove the aperture to give a ghost ring sight.

I like that idea and have done something similar on my 94, but used a Lyman "globe" front sight. The ghost sight / globe combination works well for my aging eyes as I'm trying to not resort to using a scope.
I'm with you - and the Winchester 94 takes the Williams FP9436 without the need for drilling/tapping. I use a Williams white stripe front sight but - whatever works is good -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Then there's always a Henry... sorry I couldn't resist.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Rusty wrote:Then there's always a Henry... sorry I couldn't resist.
Actually, I think the Henry is a valid suggestion. I’ve looked at Henry’s and for some odd reason, I could never get over the front band being made out of plastic. By the time I deemed that feature acceptable, I’d acquired the Ithaca 72 – which I’d read was the precursor design that the Henry was derived from. Those rifles cycle very nice.

OJ – I like that you aren’t opposed to shooting or changing some things on your Buffalo Bill 94. Many years ago I had a commemorative levergun and some guy at the range actually accused me of “not caring for it properly” simply because I was shooting the thing. I’m one of those guys that will fire any gun I would own – otherwise I wouldn’t want to have it.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Slick wrote:
Rusty wrote:Then there's always a Henry... sorry I couldn't resist.
Actually, I think the Henry is a valid suggestion. I’ve looked at Henry’s and for some odd reason, I could never get over the front band being made out of plastic. By the time I deemed that feature acceptable, I’d acquired the Ithaca 72 – which I’d read was the precursor design that the Henry was derived from. Those rifles cycle very nice.

OJ – I like that you aren’t opposed to shooting or changing some things on your Buffalo Bill 94. Many years ago I had a commemorative levergun and some guy at the range actually accused me of “not caring for it properly” simply because I was shooting the thing. I’m one of those guys that will fire any gun I would own – otherwise I wouldn’t want to have it.
I'm with you 100% -

My guns are for my pleasure - and that pleasure is what I get when I shoot them - sometimes it takes a little more time at the range because some other shooters want to look at and admire my guns - but - you know what kind of a problem that is - to have others admiring your guns - any "collector's" value will only be a problem for my estate - :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Just for info, Henry has switched, all the current rifles have metal front bands and sights. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Oh man, that 1895 sure is a beauty! I know what you mean about folks stopping you to chat about your guns. While I don’t tend to own anything quite that nice, I do often times have unusual firearms and know what you mean about them generating conversation. More often than not, it's part of the enjoyment I get from visiting a public range.

That’s also why I never take a new gun (that’s a conversation starter) to the range to sight-in during a weekend…

R/K, thanks for the heads-up, if Henry’s are coming “all metal” – I might have to give them another look. It’s kind of impossible to own too many .22’s. :D
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Slick wrote:Oh man, that 1895 sure is a beauty! I know what you mean about folks stopping you to chat about your guns. While I don’t tend to own anything quite that nice, I do often times have unusual firearms and know what you mean about them generating conversation. More often than not, it's part of the enjoyment I get from visiting a public range.

That’s also why I never take a new gun (that’s a conversation starter) to the range to sight-in during a weekend…

R/K, thanks for the heads-up, if Henry’s are coming “all metal” – I might have to give them another look. It’s kind of impossible to own too many .22’s. :D
Thanks - my wife gave it to me for our 25th anniversary six years ago (OK - so I did "help" her find it - we husbands are obligated to help our wives any way we can). My wife is the best - her first concern is what gun to get me for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. All she got was a little ring - and she's convinced she got the best of the deal.

Being retired - I never shoot on week-ends -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

OJ wrote:My wife is the best - her first concern is what gun to get me for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. All she got was a little ring - and she's convinced she got the best of the deal.
I have a friend whose wife is like that - I think they BOTH got a good deal! :wink:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I purchased a used BL22 Grade II several years ago. I really like it. Mine was a little rough, as it must have been used a lot or bounced arround in a pickup truck cab without a case for an extended time. It's really not that bad just some scratches and a little bluing gone. However, have seen the plain field grades with out any engraving get scratched up, which is why I wanted to mention that to my eye the grade II's seem to look better with a better patena, after hard use, then the plain rifles without engraving. So, I recommend finding a Grade II if you can, as it will look better with age and use. They are not too hard to find, as they made quite a few grade II's

The little rifle I have is so handy, without a scope, and for some reason I can see the iron sights really well on this gun, that I have chosen not to change the sights, to a receiver sight or a scope. Actually, IMHO, this gun is just too much fun, to mess up the handling and lines with anything other then iron sights, and foutunately it has a pretty good set on it from the factory, unlike most of the .22's out there, these days from the factory.

It's my favorite .22 long rifle Leveraction, and my favorite .22 mag lever is my Winchester 9422mag. The Marlin 39 is a good gun, and my choice probably for a scope, but for some reason in all of my years or shooting and gun trading, the Marlins somehow always go down the road, and these two my Browning and Winchester have always stayed, and I think they will stay with me, until I have no further use for a .22 of any kind.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Bought my BL-22 back in the 1980's and I have had more fun with it than any other rifle I have. It is small, but that is one of the things I like about it. I grew up shooting a little Remington pump and a single shot of some brand, and they were small, so the Browning brings back a lot of memories. I have never had a problem of any type with it and it shoots any .22 ammo pretty well. Like any rimfire, if you want the best accuracy you need to experiment a little. Mine likes Remington and Winchester ammo best, but seems to shoot anything well enough to have fun. As another poster said, my only complaint is the high gloss finish on the wood, but I have never taken the time to change to an oil finish. Buy one, you will like it.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.