More Reloading ???'s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

More Reloading ???'s

Post by Bob Winchester »

I've been looking into reloading. Will the RCBS Partner Single Stage Press Kit be good enough to reload .32-20, 44-40, 30-30 and .32 WCF? The only thing I don't like is I'd like to prime off the press with a hand primer. Also I notice when reloading 44-40 with red-dot powder it says use to like 4.3 grains of powder. And this will show my lack of knowledge but ....the cartridge is made for 40 grains of bp. That means alot of empty space in the cartridge, do you add something, a filler, to take up the extra space in the cartridge?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: More Reloading ???'s

Post by Griff »

The .32-20 and .32WCF are the same cartridge, just different nomenclatures. Yes, 4.3 grains of RedDot will leave a LOT of empty space in the case. No, you shouldn't need a filler, I don't generally advise using a filler, except in the case of actually using reduced BP charges.

The RCBS Partner single stage will reload all those cartridges with the proper dies. Keep in mind, that references to BP in grains is by volume, whereas references to the number of grains of a smokeless powder, that is by weight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

1) It'll load those just fine and a jillion more. Note that for those mentioned you'll need 3 different shell holders. If you get Lee dies they include a shell holder, but if you go with another brand, remember to get the shell holder.
2) Just because it has a primer arm doesn't mean you have to use it. You can prime off the press. Step one would be size/deprime with the cases set aside as processed. Then step two would be your off-the-press prime, placing them into a loading tray ready for step three, adding the powder, then on to step four of seat bullet.
3) Yeah, that little dab of powder is going to rattle around kinda' lonely in there, but red dot is real easy to ignite and you won't notice any problem with the bullet coming out the barrel just fine. Some folks looking for max accuracy in a rifle would try some filler to see if it helps, but you won't be benefiting a 44/40 with filler.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You don't seem to have a lot of experience. We all started at that point. So, if I repeat anything you already know or has been stated above, bear with me. I just want to keep it all organized for easier reference.

The kit will do just fine. You will need a die set for each different cartridge and a shell holder each for the .32-20/.32 WCF, .44-40/.44 WCF, and the .30-30/.30 WCF. That last cartridge I'm thinking you might have meant the .32 Winchester SPECIAL. That will use the same shell holder as the .30-30 and requires its own reloading die set.

Process your cases in batch lots. E.g. take the .30-30 and do the same operation to all the cases at one time. Cleaning, full length sizing, trimming, chamfering case mouths, cleaning primer pockets, priming and then, finally, weighing/throwing the powder charges and seating the bullets. This will speed up operations considerably and allow you to stop at any time you're interrupted (and if you are married you WILL be interrupted).

I prime using a Lee Auto Prime but the RCBS tool has its own advantages such as using the same shell holder as the press uses. I prefer this method as it is faster and yet permits feeling the primer hit the bottom of the primer pocket.

For the old cartridges originally intended for black powder one can expect that smokeless powder charges will leave a lot of empty space, i.e. have low loading density. For most recommended loads this isn't a problem. However, with black powder one can not have an air space between powder and bullet base.

I strongly recommend that you get a couple of good reloading manuals. One from your chosen powder manufacturer and another from your favorite jacketed bullet manufacturer. Read the instructions thoroughly as well as the specific sections relating to the cartridges you're reloading. That will answer a lot of your questions.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

If you choose to use a filler to fill the case (totally unnecessary, IMO, with smokeless powder), be sure to add the filler weight to the bullet weight in determining the powder charge. Otherwise you might be in for a big, nasty surprise at the range.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I don't know if this is still true but in the old days RCBS included a reloading video with all their kits. If they do not, I would be willing to bet you could scrounge one from somewhere(I'll look and see if I have anything) or find it on-line. I think they were pretty good at showing in detail how to adjust dies, each individual step of the process, and what you should and shouldn't do with your new reloading kit. Good luck and if I may be of any help at all with reloading info I be more than happy to help just PM me. Reloading and working on guns doesn't bother me but downloading pics is way over my head :lol: :lol: Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Thanks everyone. Reloading can be hard when you don't know anyone who does it.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Bob you are sooo right about that and the consequences of screwing it up can be LARGE. Truly PM me or others if you have a question it isn't hard to do, and there are very few absolute "right" ways to do some of it(but the ones that are absolute right ways are for safety and MUST be followed) and you will get different answers how to do reloading from everybody you talk to(single stage VS progressive, Lee stuff is junk Vs Lee stuff is the greatest ever ect ect). I think it was Hobie who suggested you get a couple of reloading manuals and he is right, they may be expensive but how much is that gun worth?...How about your eyes? Did you know the reloading manuals have step by step instructions on how to reload not just load data? I would be happy to pM BACK AND FORTH TO GET YOU STARTED BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY GUNRANGES IN YOUR AREA sOMEBODY WHO GOES TO THE RANGE(OOPs) reloads and the range master/owner knows somebody they trust. I was given "lessons" on reloading from a local gunsmith who sold my parents my first shotgun shell reloader, 32 years ago and he didn't charge much. I bet for the cost of a thousand primers you could find somebody to show you the ropes locally, if not you have my PM and I'll give ya my phone number.
Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

And if video is your thing, there's youtube. Someone there will show you.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Lots of folks still load everything on a good single stage press.
RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Forster - take your pick. They're all pretty
good these days - I prefer those with a cast iron base.

GET THEE AT LEAST ONE GOOD LOADING MANUAL!!!

I think Lee's is probably the best bang for the buck, although I
like Lyman's a lot, too.

Lee sells a set of shell holders that covers the majority of bases.
Not too expensive, you're set with all common calibers, and they
work with anybody else's dies or presses. I happen to like Lee dies.
I've also had good luck with RCBS and some antique Pacific stuff.
Like the presses, most die sets are quite good these days.

Ask questions of the forum - we'll be happy to help.

Take your time, UNDERSTAND what you're doing at each stage, and
ask for help if yer confuzzled.

If you're stuck, PM me - I'll certainly try to help.

-Tom
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Everyone on this forum will give you the best advice they have available and this can be priceless when it comes to many, many specifics. Howver there is so much basic information you need to aquire, and its rare that any one person can remember all thos things we take for granted. as several people have mentioned you realy need to read at least 2 basic rloading manuals, and were not talking about "war and Peace". You can probably cover a couple of good manuals in a few evenings of relaxed reading. Then you will really know what questions need to be asked. The old"we dont know what we dont know" is all too true in reloading. The basics are really quite simple and common sense will save you on most occasions, but you have to learn what questions to ask. At that point there are any number of people on this forum that can answer those specifics that will arise. And as to the 4.3 grains in a case of 22gr of water capacity , yes it will rattle but it will shoot just fine . Maybe not at 70 below zero, but the rest of the time it should be reasonably accurate and reliable. My current favorite practice, plinking, experimental load uses 9.5 grains of a medium shotgun powder in a case of 83 gr water volume and it produces <2" groups at 100 yds. in all types of weather. Enjoy your new hobby/addiction
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Would like to add my dos centavos, get on Amazon or ebay and get the book "ABC's of Reloading". Every detail covered. Worth every penny.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gobblerforge wrote:And if video is your thing, there's youtube. Someone there will show you.
Gobbler
But, PLEASE, please, don't follow their advice blindly. There's far too many spoofs that are downright dangerous!

I'll reiterate Hobie's admonishment to get a couple of good reloading manuals, (they all have instructions), and follow their tried and true methodology!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Griff wrote:
Gobblerforge wrote:And if video is your thing, there's youtube. Someone there will show you.
Gobbler
But, PLEASE, please, don't follow their advice blindly. There's far too many spoofs that are downright dangerous!

I'll reiterate Hobie's admonishment to get a couple of good reloading manuals, (they all have instructions), and follow their tried and true methodology!
I expect that that is good advice from any venue but it doesn't discount the value of youtube.
I have gotten good information tips for welding, casting, shooting and other things, so please don't condem the whole lot.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my 2 cents worth, but don't over lube the cases. Whichever lube you choose to go with for the sizing step, just use it sparingly or you will probably end up with dented cases. The dents can be popped back out when fired, but they shorten the case life and can lead to blown cases. After lubing and sizing, I always clean off the lube. Just my experience, but I didn't clean the lube off one time and ended up with some really strange flattened bases. I think that it was because the lube let the case slide in the chamber instead of the brass temporarily gripping the chamber.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jnyork wrote:Would like to add my dos centavos, get on Amazon or ebay and get the book "ABC's of Reloading". Every detail covered. Worth every penny.
An excellent suggestion. I bought the book myself! There is always something new to learn but the basics are, well, basic.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

It's already been mentioned, but since it's worth repeating, my two cents are to take your time. For me, reloading is just as much of a rewarding pastime as shooting. You picked a fun round to load with the 44-40; it'll reward you with good accuracy pretty easily. Have fun.