Price Check - Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Price Check - Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant

Post by Bruce Scott »

Just wondering how much you would expect to pay for an unissued, unfired 1970 built Sako.
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Price Check - Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant

Post by Stan in SC »

Anywhere from $350 to $450.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I wouldn't pay much more than 250.00. If it were a Tikka then maybe 400.00.

Here is a good place to get an idea of the rarity of different M-N's and then you can get an idea of the value or at least how many are out there.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

Steve
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Like the man said, $350-$450. If it were a war year issue it could be above $500.

The date of 1970 is the Finnish re-build date, but of course the receiver can be a Russian or American of just about any date. If it's a pre-1898 receiver it's considered an antique and that adds some value to some folks. No import mark? Add value. Imperial Russian crest on receiver? Add value. Magazine and receiver free of pits? Add value. Bolt and floorplate matching serial numbers? Add value. Nice looking cartouches on the stock? Add value. Marked Puolustuslaitos? Add value (however, not sure if any of 1970 vintage will have that).

Personally I like the war-vintage units. They can often be had in as-new condition.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

olyinaz wrote:Like the man said, $350-$450. If it were a war year issue it could be above $500.

The date of 1970 is the Finnish re-build date, but of course the receiver can be a Russian or American of just about any date. If it's a pre-1898 receiver it's considered an antique and that adds some value to some folks. No import mark? Add value. Imperial Russian crest on receiver? Add value. Magazine and receiver free of pits? Add value. Bolt and floorplate matching serial numbers? Add value. Nice looking cartouches on the stock? Add value. Marked Puolustuslaitos? Add value (however, not sure if any of 1970 vintage will have that).

Personally I like the war-vintage units. They can often be had in as-new condition.

Best,
Oly
Hi,
Where have you bought your M39's from?

If you mean by "war year issue" the 1941-1944 dated M39's, I haven't seen any that have gone for over 500.00 dollars. Most are in the 250.00-300.00 range, unless something special, i.e. "B" barrel, Tikka, Puolustuslaitos.

The only year one will see Puolustuslaitos marked barrel shanks, are 1942 dated, and the Finn only used that marking for a couple of months. Puolustuslaitos marked are very, very collectable. I have a 1941 strait stocked M39 that is Puolustuslaitos marked and didn't pay more than 300.00 for that one. If any other year Puolustuslaitos marked would be a fake, and I haven't heard of any fakes out there.

I saw this yesterday about pricing and specifics on the late date M39's:
http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=10060.0

Steve
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thank you all for your replies - very enlightening.

This is what prompted the question:

Collector's Finn. Unissued, unfired, de-greased, no maker (Sako). Made in 1970 in contravention of treaty with Soviet Union. Finnish military sling and cleaning kit. RCBS dies and shellholder, Lapin's collectors book and 490 new cases. Will not separate. Fine collector's piece.

Calibre: 7.62x54R
Make: Mosin Nagant
Model: M39
Action: Bolt repeater
Sights: Open
Condition: Excellent
Serial No: 304775
Price: $1525 firm

http://usedguns.com.au/used_military_rifles.html
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Waaayyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

SteveR wrote:Hi,

If you mean by "war year issue" the 1941-1944 dated M39's, I haven't seen any that have gone for over 500.00 dollars. Most are in the 250.00-300.00 range, unless something special, i.e. "B" barrel, Tikka, Puolustuslaitos.

The only year one will see Puolustuslaitos marked barrel shanks, are 1942 dated, and the Finn only used that marking for a couple of months. Puolustuslaitos marked are very, very collectable. I have a 1941 strait stocked M39 that is Puolustuslaitos marked and didn't pay more than 300.00 for that one. If any other year Puolustuslaitos marked would be a fake, and I haven't heard of any fakes out there.

Steve

I got mine from Pat Burns. He (or she, not sure which) also sells on GunBreaker: http://www.gunsnammo.com/

I'm not sure what you mean by the years one will see Puolustuslaitos marked because you seem to say only 1942 but then say that you have one marked 1941. I've seen 1944 as well.

Here are two that I find interesting (not sure how two rifles three years apart qualify as "consecutive serial numbers..."):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =220880422

'Course he doesn't have any takers yet and probably wont at that price.

I don't often see M39s in the shops in Tucson, but I do see what they sell for on the internet and the rarer ones in mint condition do sell to someone for around $500 but they're usually in un-issued condition and rare by some standard to reach that plateau.

I'm not saying I like it or I'd pay it, but that's what I'm seeing. Certainly I agree with your comment that "Most are in the 250.00-300.00 range". I think I paid $230 for my 1942 Sako with a bright bore, wartime stock with good cartouche, and about 50% blue.

One thing about Mosins and Finns is that there are so many variants one could collect for decades and spend thousands to try and build a representative collection! It would be fun though.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Stan in SC wrote:Waaayyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Stan in SC
+1

You can do a lol better in price. And I bet it was fired, because the seller is selling reloading brass and dies with it, if they had other M-N's then they would probably keep the reloading euipment.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

olyinaz wrote:
SteveR wrote:Hi,

Steve

I got mine from Pat Burns. He (or she, not sure which) also sells on GunBreaker: http://www.gunsnammo.com/

I'm not sure what you mean by the years one will see Puolustuslaitos marked because you seem to say only 1942 but then say that you have one marked 1941. I've seen 1944 as well.

Here are two that I find interesting (not sure how two rifles three years apart qualify as "consecutive serial numbers..."):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =220880422

'Course he doesn't have any takers yet and probably wont at that price.

I don't often see M39s in the shops in Tucson, but I do see what they sell for on the internet and the rarer ones in mint condition do sell to someone for around $500 but they're usually in un-issued condition and rare by some standard to reach that plateau.

I'm not saying I like it or I'd pay it, but that's what I'm seeing. Certainly I agree with your comment that "Most are in the 250.00-300.00 range". I think I paid $230 for my 1942 Sako with a bright bore, wartime stock with good cartouche, and about 50% blue.

One thing about Mosins and Finns is that there are so many variants one could collect for decades and spend thousands to try and build a representative collection! It would be fun though.

Oly
Sorry about that, I meant that the Finn's only marked Puolustuslaitos in 1942 for a few months, then the boxed SA became the stamp used by the Finnish Army. The only dates I have ever seen marked with Puolustuslaitos are all 1941. The one you have in the picture is 1941, I did the same thing till I owned one of the 1941 dated Puolustuslaitos marked M39's, the stamping font makes a 1 look like a 4.

So a Puolustuslaitos marked rifle is a very rare one, I stil am looking for a M91 that is Puolustuslaitos marked, I see one pops up on GunBroker every now and again, but way over priced.

Pat Burn's used to have good prices, but after the Election of 2008, the prices went crazy. I find most of mine from MosinNagant.Net 's Trader forum, some really great deals there.

I so agree many thousands to get a real comprehensive collection.

Steve
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I don't know a whole lot about these. What I do know is that Zander's and two other catalogs I received this week have them descibed as "excellent bores, most matching parts, good stocks, complete, safe shooter" and they are as little as $69. The most expensive one is $119. This is an FFL dealer price of course. I have no idea about these so I don't know what makes the various differences in price - or what makes the mark-up so high.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

click on the link above that steveR posted.when it comes to the russians a MO marked,EAST GERMAN and ex snipers are worth more.the chain stores don't know the different stamps and sometimes a EAST GERMAN will be in a bunch of tulas.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRef02.htm

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks03.htm

east german marked 91/30

DAV life member.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Here is one that just went for auction, its a 1967, second lowest produced of the late dates, 1969 being the lowest number produced. Its in good shape and is a good representation of what a late date M-N. They were built up from old stock in 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1970. I have heard of 1971 may also be a year they were built, but I haven't seen any.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =220881189

Steve