Marlin 336 barrel shank dimensions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
NFG
Levergunner

Marlin 336 barrel shank dimensions

Post by NFG »

Can anyone give me the shank OD and TPI for the Marlin 336 SQUARE threaded barrel. :idea: :?: :o

I have a wildcat in mind to do and need the info to see if it will be safe and sane.

Thanks
Hobie

Re: Marlin 336 barrel shank dimensions

Post by Hobie »

I believe that Mic McPherson wrote an article that's on the web and contains all that information...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
NFG
Levergunner

Post by NFG »

Thanks...I have many of Mic's artricles but couldn't find the specific information. Been surfing the net for the past two days looking for it.

Can't believe that information isn't scattered all over the web or here...can't even find information on the "V" threads on the newer rifles.

I want to do a wildcat 416 cal on the 284 case or a belted magnum with the belt turned off. Boring the threads on the receiver by about 0.035"-0.045" and decreasing the minor depth on the barrel threads should equalize the difference in case OD between my 356 Win .473" base, the 284 .500" base, or the .513" nobelt, belted mag case and keep the pressure ratios the same.

I know there are a few 416 wildcats out there on the different 444 and 45 cases, but I always seem to go for the "totally oddball, whowouldhaveguessed" stuff and way too much trouble for most, but I've been a wildcatter for 50 years and can't stop now. :shock: :roll: :twisted:

Guess I will have to pull the barrel and measure...just trying to get the calculations done BEFORE tearing things apart. I want to have the new barrel/ammo ready so it's just a quick swap...maybe. :?

Thanks again.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

NFG,
As a search challenged individual the first place I go to is the forums home page: http://www.leverguns.com/

Tons of information there.
On the right column there is a listing of of "Levergun Gunsmiths". Mic's info is there.
Considering your requirements I think it would be best to talk directly with Mic.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Marlin models 1893, 93, 36, 336 taken from "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide - Updated"

Barrell diameter .880"
Shank length .770"
Major diameter .780"
Minor diameter .722"
Thread 12 TPI Square
NFG
Levergunner

Post by NFG »

Thanks again...I don't have that particular book and I need to buy it...I have reference material up the gazootch, but still seem not to have what I need all the time I need it. :o :?

LUCK
NFG
Levergunner

Post by NFG »

FWIW...I took my 336's barrel off and measured it directly...

Shank OD 0.775"
Minor OD 0.715"
Shank length 0.650" w/o hood...0.0850" with hood.
Barrel OD at chamber 0.925"

Max cartridge length that will feed and extract a loaded cartridge without a lot of costly work, 2.69" using a 270 gr Horn 375 gr with the lead nose filed down to gilding metal. I did mill the ejector shelf back to achieve this OAL length, but nothing else.

I'm a bit disappointed with this forum...with all the "knowledgeable" folks supposedly populating this forum I would have expected a bit more output. Maybe this subject has been worn to a frazzle already an no one is interested. :(

Thanks to those who did give me what they did. :mrgreen:

I pretty much finalized on doing a 375-284 as I can rent a reamer instead of buying one. I expect to use a Woodleigh 235 gr PP at ~2250 - 2400 fs at ~41-42.5KCUP in a 26" bbl, or a Beartooth 255 - 265 gr FNGC.

LUCK
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Wonder if you could have a 338ME Rebored to .375" and have a neck/throat cut. Have a 375ME. If I can find another one for a decent price, I plan on trying that. If I ever get around to it, I will make a 7mm ME.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Always best to measure the real thing.

Interesting on how the major and minor diameters were close to the published ones but the shank length was totally different. Likely the information used in the NRA book is not as updated as we would think. I know that I did use it for making a second barrel for my Savage 99 and it was correct for that application.

Maybe the right guy has not been online lately.