Henry conversions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Henry conversions

Post by Marlin32 »

Anyone have any knowledge of Henry conversions? I like the looks of those guns, and the 30/30 is heavy which fine by me. Wondering, what are possibilities with this gun?
Could a guy convert one to say a .307???? Do they share the same limitations as the Marlins?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Henry conversions

Post by Griff »

Momma always tole me if I can't say something nice don't say anything.

The nice thing: they're claimed to be American made... testimonials indicate they have great customer service.

However... you knew this was coming, right? They're crude looking, usurped an iconic name in American arms making, have in the past made claims that were later proved untrue.

I have an 8-½ lb .30-30, but it has the decency to be a 26", untapered, octagon barreled levergun of grace and beauty... IMO, at least.

This last is truly unkind, for several reasons: I have this notion that front tube loading firearms, Henry 22lr, Winchester 9422, Marlin 39A are designed thusly due to an safety issue with cartridge; and IMMAL, I associate that loading system with "starter" or kids guns, (yeah I know they're really not... but whoever claims opinions are fact-based is wrong!). It's my opnion that such loading IS unsafe in centerfire cartridges. Thus, my personal aversion to the Big Boy and their .30-30 version. Also, is there some legal reason that, while EVERY other levergun maker utiizes Mr. King's patented loading gate, Henry doesn't?

And no, they don't offer an appreciable advantage over a Marlin 336.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry conversions

Post by airedaleman »

Griff wrote:Momma always tole me if I can't say something nice don't say anything.

Also, is there some legal reason that, while EVERY other levergun maker utiizes Mr. King's patented loading gate, Henry doesn't?
None at all. I suspect cost and ease of maufacturing are the reasons for Henry's approach. When was the last time
anyone saw a patent marking on a modern rifle? They're all in the public domain now...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags