OT -- A noteworthy ancestor and my ties to the American West

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

OT -- A noteworthy ancestor and my ties to the American West

Post by Noah Zark »

Thought I'd share with you that not all of my ancestors were cattle rustlers that met untimely deaths at the end of a rope. :wink:

Seeing that this a a levergun forum and that leverguns are inextricably tied to the American West, a great-great-great-great uncle of mine was Father Pierre-Jean DeSmet, SJ, known to the Plains Indians as "Blackrobe." All missionaries were referred to as "blackrobes," but in the case of Fr. DeSmet, the term was capitalized and became his universally-recognized name throughout the northern Plains.

Fr. "Blackrobe" DeSmet was a Belgian-born Jesuit missionary that was instrumental in bringing Christianity to the Plains Indians from Missouri up through the Dakotas, Idaho, and into Washington and Oregon. He was so widely respected by many tribes and nations of Native Americans that he was able to sit in council with Chief Sitting Bull in seeking peace between the Sioux and the US Government at a time when Sitting Bull had any whites killed that attempted to parley.

DeSmet Jesuit High School in St. Louis, MO, and DeSmet, SD, DeSmet, MT, and DeSmet, ID are named for "Blackrobe DeSmet."

For more about Fr. Pierre-Jean DeSmet:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04752a.htm

If the hair was cut shorter and dyed black, that would be my late father sitting there. So much so that I get goosebumpy looking at the photo.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Nice to have noteworthy ancestory. Thanks for the story, I however have nothing to share :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Another post of great substance. This was a very interesting read. Your gggggg uncle must have been a tough dude to travel amongst hostile Indians at a time when little was known about them and when food was not exactly on every corner for easy purchasing. Thanx Noah-----------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

That is way cool. Thank you for sharing it!

Not sure where you get your Robert Palmer looks, though. :wink: :lol:
.........THE TWINS..........

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) :D
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Noah,

When you mentioned "DeSmet" that made me think of Laura Ingalls Wilder. She, or some of her family, lived in a town called DeSmet at some point in their lives. I wonder if their paths ever crossed. :wink:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I saw the movie Black robe. Good flick. I have no idea what life was like back in the day but I disagree with the popular, romantic notion that seems in vogue periodically. Black robe from what I remember portrayed life as harsh, cold, hungry, and plain brutal. This seems to be much more likely. Your ancestor must have been one tough dude. Good blood running through your veins. 1886.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I enjoyed that, thanks!