OT - Geography Test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Which Interstate is This?

I-90 Seattle to Boston
19%
I-80 San Francisco to New York City
40%
I-10 Los Angeles to Jacksonville
42%

Total votes: 53
Griff
Posting leader...

OT - Geography Test

Post by Griff »

Ok, so today, I traveled west to east across a major interstate in these United States. I'll eliminate some, as this one goes all the way from the west coast to the east coast. Guess which one... There's only three, 'cause Barstow, CA is too far away from the beach to count! :lol:

Nate Kiowa Jones is excluded from participating. I told him where I was going and from where.

1st Clue:

Havin' trouble? Try Clue # 2:

Still stumped? Here's clue #3:
Hah! You don't think I'd make it that easy do ya?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I have no idea, I only know the H-1, H-2, and H-3 freeways.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docum ... ?01b4=d941 :?
Last edited by GANJIRO on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pinion & sage? No snow accumulation.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
phlatnose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phlatnose »

looks like 10. It should clear up tomorrow though. I hope so, as im off to phoenix.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I voted for I-10
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Seems my travel IQ is 104 the 1st trip around. Very fun, but hard to put the cross-hairs RIGHT where I wanted. Lowest was within 100 kms, fartherest ? over 1,000, but... there weren't many of those! 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I dunno but I voted for I-10.

You drivin' a Pete?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What kind of tuck is that?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cnjarvis wrote:You drivin' a Pete?
For the time being. I'm waiting on a quote to finish rebuilding my '97 T-600, and then the Pete and another T-600 will be traded in on a new T-660 with all the bells & whistles for my son to drive. Er... if the "PRICE IS RIGHT"!

If the price for the new truck ain't right, then the boy will keep driving the T-600 he's driving now, I'll stay in the Pete, and the older T-600 will still get rebuilt, but not painted... it'll then be driven by a friend when he returns from SE Asia in April.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That looks like high scrub country to me. I am going with the I10 LA to Jacksonville. I take it since we are seeing you pics you got to where you were going all right.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:That looks like high scrub country to me. I am going with the I10 LA to Jacksonville. I take it since we are seeing you pics you got to where you were going all right.
Yep, 'cause today's little jaunt, was nothing like the other day on a trip on a coast to coast freeway that saw me stopped because of 65mph crosswinds on frozen roads. At the time the below picture was taken, the winds had dropped of to around 40mph outta the north! Those streaks across the road are blown snow. Unfortunately on that day I was less than ½ my legal weight. The SOLE barbed wire fence between Canada and Wyoming ain't worth a darn as a wind break! I sat for 3 days, meanwhile, 13 trucks in a single 300 mile stretch had blown over. 3 from our company, & one was a fatality that I heard. Discretion is the better part of valor. I ain't skeered, but I ain't stupid either! I wanna see home and shoot my leverguns!

Winter wonderlands are sure beautiful to look at, but downright scary to drive in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I voted for I-80, got to be a little farther north, a guess at best!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna buy that boy a new truck you better make him promise not to hit another buffalo.

I'm thinkin it's I 80 but I would have hoped you had enough pull to be able to get the southern route.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

I guessed I- 80 too because of all the snow.

Jay
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I voted for I-80 - that is the only one of the 3 I was ever on for a long distance. twice in my life I drove from State College (GO PSU!) to Eastern Colorado - mostly 100% of it on I-80

I agree with you - looks beautifle, but downright scary to drive in.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Looks like you got things under control in that big Peterbilt, but spring is coming soon!!Good luck in your travels, I just climbed out of one and am enjoying some rock-in-chair pay, (hardlythough, been busier than ever)
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Hmmm, from the chair look'n out over the hood of a 379 in the first pictures it seemed to me to be I10 somewhere around Flagstaff and I voted accordingly. The last picture could be I10 in New Mexico or I80 near Point of Rocks, Wyoming. From the looks of the crossing snow...Mexico must be really suck'n!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Looks like Wyoming to me, what do I know. I live 99% of my life in Pa. with an occasional trip to Colorado or Utah
What I do know is that Pete. I load you boys for a living. I'm the guy who makes sure you have singles in the nose so you don't have too much weight on the drive axle. :D I make sure your load bar is nice and tight and you have void fillers inbetween the pallets :D I'm also the guy who writes in huge letters, "JOIN THE NRA" in the dirt on the back barn doors or roll ups for all those stinkin' liberals to see.

What are you haulin' Griff?-------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Typical trucker driving on the shoulder doin what ever he wants to do. :D Lost as he can be. :lol:

Can't place the top pics,maybe wb on 80 around Arlington, but bottom looks like lookin west just about the Frewen Road exit on 80
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

I guesses I-10. Figuered it had to be a trick question!

Dave
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Clue # 3: 1st photo shows a speed limit sign: 75MPH.

That's good in the following states: Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Arizona and New Mexico. Edit: Oops, forgot North Dakota!

Don, you're close, in that much of I-80 looks alike, that was taken between Lyman and Fort Bridger. Stopped @ Lyman for breakfast and finally broke out the camera.[/b]
Last edited by Griff on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'm voting I-80.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I-10

My friend in Glendale, AZ told me it was 35° there this morning with 80% humidity. Every thing was iced up. Really fun times when that happens in AZ.
So snow on I-10 don't surprise me one bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff yup they put that highway thru some of the drearyest country they could find, 10 miles either way and it's a whole bunch better. My second guess would of been looking west from the Granger Jct.

lil bro called yesterday and said if a person wanted to see something to make you laugh, just be there in St. George with 4 inches of snow, and watch them desert rats,and snow birds try to drive in it. Said there must of been 30 cars in the ditch between his place at Leeds and St. George

:?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Griff, if that last picture is between Ft. Bridger and Lyman, would not that be in and around the "Three Sisters" ?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Griff, if that last picture is between Ft. Bridger and Lyman, would not that be in and around the "Three Sisters" ?
just east of the sisters. When you get up on that platue ahead that'll be the last 2 miles of flat ground till you get down into the Salt Lake Valley.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Yea, but the wind is coming from the north, therefore the truck is facing east. If I remember correctly Lyman is around the 46 mile marker, which could put you on the top of the eastern "Sister". The only problem I have though with saying that is that the rise on the horizon would place you just west of Green River/Rock Springs.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If he was headed east up church butte, that would make the wind out of the south, not real common there in the Bridger valley.
Looks to me like the winds out of the north and he's headed west.just about to the Carter exit.
Lyman is in the valley center, Ft. Bridger is on the west side of the valley, and the sisters lay to the west of Bridger quite aways.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Don, I was thinking that the wind was going left to right, not the other way around.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Well I'm bettin he'll clear it up for us after a bit. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, 24 hours, or thereabouts is long enough for you ne'er-do-wells to cogitate on any one subject. So...

Congrats to all of you that guessed or knew the 1st three photos were of I-10.
This was going to be the final piece of the puzzle, but... someone woulda still got it wrong! :P

The bottom photo claiming to be WY, is just that. Friend of mine and I stopped at a little restaurant @ exit 41 on the north side of the Interstate and ate some... well, a lot of breakfast! Before continuing on the journey, I dug out my camera and got prepared to take some photos of the wind that had begun to kick up while we were inside. That photo was taken from around the 3-something mile marker. That line of hills off at the horizon is where exit 30 is; I stopped again and fueled up there at the T/A. Don, and other citizens of WY, I've always thought the "Sisters" were the series of hills between there and Evanston. Am I wrong, or just misunderstand?

I don't recall where this one was taken, but it was back in 2005. I was driving one of the T-600s, shortly before I bought the Pete. But, again, it ain't the prettiest of days, unless you're inside roastin' the tootsies by the fireplace!

At any rate, winter is what makes this job give ya gray hair!

Anyway, it was fun! Congrats again:

Which Interstate is This?
I-90 Seattle to Boston 21% [ 10 ]
I-80 San Francisco to New York City 38% [ 18 ]
I-10 Los Angeles to Jacksonville 40% [ 19 ]

Total Votes : 47

Hobie, can ya turn of the poll? I forgot to set it! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I80 High Desert.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Ok Griff, I'll take a shot at the last two here....my guess is Montana. The last one I'm bett'n near Whitehall, the first could be ??? guess'n somewhere near Lookout Pass? By the way, the Sister's are between Lyman and Evanston in Wyoming, just been awhile to get my bearings.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Ok Griff, I'll take a shot at the last two here....my guess is Montana. The last one I'm bett'n near Whitehall, the first could be ??? guess'n somewhere near Lookout Pass? By the way, the Sister's are between Lyman and Evanston in Wyoming, just been awhile to get my bearings.
OTH, I had to go back and look at my old spread sheets. The 1st of the last two pictures was on I-90, but at the other side of the country. My records indicate I delivered in Brewster, NY and picked up that day in Sterling, MA! So I strongly suspect that pic is on the MA Turnpike!

The last picture was one taken in PA, somewhere along US322 between Harrisburg and State College! As you can see, those off-camber turns are really treacherous in the winter time!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Boy, was I off! Griff that last picture looks just like the bend on I90 near Livingston heading west...they even have the frontage road parallel on the south side of highway.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff you're right the sisters are between Ft. Bridger and Evanston. Used to be a ski area on the last one above Evanston. Two of the longest tunnels on the UPRR system go thru those hills a few miles south of 80. Beautiful country in the spring, summer and fall, but absolutely miserable a good part of the winter.