OT: Ammunition primer caps are uncommon, .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Ammunition primer caps are uncommon, .....

Post by J Miller »

Ammunition primer caps are uncommon, but legal to transport in checked baggage.

Read the whole article here:
http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/cops ... ed-baggage

What got my attention is this bullshiq from a gun shop owner in MA:
Tom Downey, owner of Fairground Trader Inc., a gun store in Brockton that stocks ammunition primer caps, said they are not a popular item.

The caps form the base of the bullet cartridge and, when struck, provide a spark that ignites the gunpowder inside the cartridge, propelling the bullet.

They are used by people who “reload” their own ammunition, re-using spent cartridges by putting them together with a new primer cap, gunpowder and bullet.

The process requires expensive special equipment, Downey said, and careful weighing of the gunpowder to prevent accidents when the weapon fires.

He said modern semi-automatic weapons require highly calibrated bullets that make it impractical to reload bullets, but it’s still done with shotguns and less so with pistols.
Talk about a know nothing idiot. Even in IL we know better than that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Ammunition primer caps are uncommon, .....

Post by pwl44m »

Maybe the Feds should listen to Him and not charge Hazard fees for shipping Primers. After all they R not that common.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Maybe.

It could be that he's blowing smoke at a gullible MSM (read anti-gun) propaganda writer in the hopes of spreading a bit of useful misinformation lest the MSM go on an anti-reloading tear. ("OMG! Rednecks are making their own ammo! We can't control the ammo supply! They are probably making Cop Killer Bullets! We've got to stop this now!") :roll:

Also, such smoke is good for the OEM ammo sales business. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well, I suppose now I know that the TSA will allow primers in checked luggage as long as they are properly packed. I wonder if the original container that holds the ten trays of 100 primers qualifies as properly packed.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Maybe this explains the stupid bulky packing that Federal primers now come in. TSA compliance?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

earlmck wrote:Maybe this explains the stupid bulky packing that Federal primers now come in. TSA compliance?
Earl,
From what I've read the bulky Federal boxes came about after a shipment of Federal primers in the old small boxes blew up in the back of a UPS truck. I don't have a source for that, but hey I read it on the 'net so it must be true :roll: . Sounds reasonable though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

RIGHT :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm kind of with OI. I have a hard time seeing a gun shop owner actually believing what he said there.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TedH wrote:I'm kind of with OI. I have a hard time seeing a gun shop owner actually believing what he said there.
Ted,
I hope OI is right. The thing is I've met gun shop owners who believed some really far out nonsense. So this could be true.

Joe
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

J Miller wrote:...
What got my attention is this bullshiq from a gun shop owner in MA:...
A significant number of gunshops in MA are either actively or effectively anti-gun.
They seem to take great delight in making up new BS "laws" as they go.
The actual laws here are bad enough without these @$$hats helping the state eliminate gun owners.
Many of them seem to feel that they will get more business if they help make it harder and more expensive to acquire firearms or ammo EXCEPT FROM THEM.

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Around here, there's a shop with quirky TV ads saying "Hi, I'm Don, and I just LOVE to sell guns; Heh heh, heh. . . " and since he's a sort of 'icon' to the local media, he's become the 'go-to' guy for any 'comment from the gun industry' on gun legislation or after a gun crime of some sort.

The guy ALWAYS advocates stricter gun laws, just because it endears him to the yuppies who sneak guiltily to his store (because they know of no other legitimate dealer since they aren't into the 'gun owner' community) to buy their gun they need because THEY are special people unlike the masses who should be disarmed for their own good. It so annoys the real 'gun owners' of the area that most won't patronize the place at all.

Too bad, because with the media so gullibly lapping up and reporting his every word, he had an opportunity to really educate the public, supporting the few legitimate laws there are, and exposing the fraudulent nature of the rest...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "