Marlin 336 SC in 32 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 336 SC in 32 Special

Post by AkRay »

I'm going to look at one of these later this week. The rifle hasn't been bubba'd according to the seller, but has been hunted with and has bluing wear and some dings on the stock. This one was made sometime in the early 50s. Is this lever action/caliber combination desirable or are they generally overlooked? I've never owned or shot a 32 Special before, so I don't know much about them. I know this isn't much information, but what might be a fair price range for this one?
kaferhaus
Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336 SC in 32 Special

Post by kaferhaus »

If you're looking to buy it as a "shooter" then go for it but don't overpay for it. They're nothing "special".

IF it was a 90% or better gun then it'd be worth a bit more collectible wise. As is, no collector value. 32's aren't rare and 50s 336s in excellent condition are plentiful.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My 336A was over 90% condition and I believe I paid around $400.
It is also 50's model, and shoots great. Great cartridge and I have to disagree, it IS SPECIAL!!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have an early 50's (I think 1953) 336SC (Sporting Carbine) in 32 Special that I inherited from my Dad. He killed a lot of deer with it. MYSELF, I cannot tell any difference between a 170gr 30-30 and a 170gr 32Sp. Mine is a very good shooter. By bubba'd does that mean the fat forearm has been slimmed down? What has been done to it? I think the value would be similar to the same model in 30-30.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

Missed the deal. I originally called the seller yesterday and asked about the rifle. He told me that he was going to work late, today wasn't so good for him, and that he'd call me tomorrow(today). This morning I got up and waited for the call and then called him, only to hear "Oh yeah, she's gone." I'm not sure about the condition, but the asking price was $300.00 for the rifle and 2 boxes of ammunition. Someone else must've liked it enough to buy it. Oh well, I'll have some money for fireworks for tonight.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Took me awhile to find mine. I put the money away, and perused gunbroker, gunsamerica, Auction arms etc, and Gun Digest. Took about 6 months before I found the one I wanted, I originally was after the carbine, but this was an A, great shape, came from ad in Gun Digest, called the dude, he had one in Each, 35, 30-30 and 32 Sp. He was keeping the 35 as that is what he hunts with, and was getting rid of the others as he was making room, or moving or something. Bought the other two, just so he had the "set" I am not certain he ever fired the 32 Sp.

Takes a little time, but if you have the money squirreled away, when the opportunity comes up, you can pounce.