Need some help with my new Marlin 39A.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Need some help with my new Marlin 39A.

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

So I bought a brand new 39A today. Brought it home, broke it down, and gave it a thorough cleaning and knocked off any burrs and rough spots on the action. The bolt now moves smoothly, as does the lever and lifter. Pleased with myself, I attempted to reassemble the two halves of the receiver...about a dozen times...and the thing just won't go back together. The lever lis closed, safety on, hammer down, per the manual. The two halves come within a 1/4" of closing up and hang up. The lever shoulder is clear, and the rear mating surfaces are engaged. There is no pressure on the takedown screw. I'm stumped.

I need a hint from somebody that owns one of these. :?:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need some help with my new Marlin 39A.

Post by jdad »

The hammer needs to be cocked, to take it down and reassemble.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

The manual says to have the hammer in the "safety / rebound" position. Tried it cocked with no luck.

The breakthrough came upon close examination of the area just behind the lever support on the left receiver half. It is ramped to center the lever and allow the two halves to come together. There was a very big burr on that tramp, and the coresponding bevel on the lever was very poorly formed. Dremel and Cratex to the rescue, both surfaces smoothed and polished, ands she went together nicely.

Overall, the inside of the gun was a mass of burrs and sharp edges, many being very visible and obvious. Once I did the rounds with a stone and some 1500, she's smooth as silk. Marlin quality control seems to be on the decline.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire and yes Marlin quality ain't what it was.. :(

Glad you fixed it, how about a range report? :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

game keeper wrote:Welcome to the fire and yes Marlin quality ain't what it was.. :(

Glad you fixed it, how about a range report? :wink:
Next week at the earliest I'm afraid. Looking forward to it for sure.

The thing about the 39A is that it just doesn't look right with a scope, that and the scope mount for the gun looks like Fido's a**. I think I'll order a Skinner sight and see how my eyes take to it (I am "Crosseyed Bob" after all).
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

So sad for the Marlin QC. I own a 1905 1897/22 and its fit and finish is like a Swiss Watch.

And to think they did them back in the day with out a CNC, Marvelous, just Marvelous.

I always wanted a 39A, glad I found the 97. It took a long time to find one as a shooter and not a collector. Some one many Years ago D&T the left side receiver barrel for a side mount Weaver scope. Four holes are D&T at the rear fore stock & barrel line on the octagon barrel. I removed the J-Series Weaver 4X power scope & side mount. The Scope is a collectable I understand.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Bought my 39A three years ago, QC was......well........."lacking" is the best way to describe it! After much polishing (as Bob said, "Cratex to the rescue!") all is well. I kick my "you know what" for selling my old 39 Mountie............................. :cry:
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It is sad, concerning the QC. I have a real hard time even thinking about buying anything new, from under the Remington umbrella.

When I'm asked what to look for when buying a used 39A I just tell them that if the serial number is under the lever, it looks nice, and it's the price you feel comfortable paying, then it's a good rifle.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

Does anyone know if a gun marked North Haven onthe barrel was actually made in North Haven? Mine says North Haven, but it has the digital serial number on the top tang.