Next project....Lyman Plains BP Kit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Next project....Lyman Plains BP Kit

Post by stew71 »

I've been researching the various products available to finish the stock and metal of the Lyman BP kits. I would appreciate any comments on which products to avoid or use from those who have built their own.

I'm leaning towards the following:

Birchwood Casey's Rusty Walnut Stain and Tru-Oil Finish
Laurel Mountain Forge's Browning Reagent and Degreaser

Thanks.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Next project....Lyman Plains BP Kit

Post by Pisgah »

I have had wonderful results with Tru-Oil and the Laurel Mountain product on many projects, but I have never tried the stain you mentioned.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Next project....Lyman Plains BP Kit

Post by Bruce »

Those sound good. If you want another option, try this combination.

For the wood, get some rotten stone and bone black from Midway and apply it first. When you get the depth/contrast you want - then apply a finish. I used Permalyn, but Tru Oil will do just as good. The bone black brings out the pattern, but will scare you when you first put it on. The whole stock will be black, until you sand or steel wool it back down. The Lyman's are known for having good wood with a pattern.

For the metal, I tried our on Jermey's rust finish. It is the Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing Solution from the craft shop. Works easy and comes out just right. I hear the Laurel Mountain is about the same and works good.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum