OT - S&W 46 is home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - S&W 46 is home

Post by kimwcook »

Well guys I ended up buying the Smith and Wesson 46. While picking it up I was asked if I wanted to buy 500 rounds of Western EZXS Match 22LR. Walked out with the 46 and the 500 rounds. What can you ammo Xperts tell me about the 22 ammo. I've never heard of it nor have I ever shot any. The cases are also nickel plated. Sorry about the pic quality, but inside was the only thing I had and I didn't go through a bunch of work to get it any better.

The 46

The Western 22 ammo

Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - S&W 46 is home

Post by pwl44m »

Been wondering what a S&W 46 was , now I know. Nice looking Pistolo for sure. So U passed on the Colt I presume ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

That was very good match ammo, at that time....1960's IIRC. The Winchester Mark III & Mark IV I believe was a step above in quality. I would not put any high velocity ammo through the gun though. Stick with the more expensive Standard Velocity stuff or you put a lot of serious wear on it.

That's a really nice find.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good choice !

FWIW, the S&W M-46 was the econo version of the famed Model 41, and suited for any ammo an owner cares to put through it.

It looks like someone installed a set of checkered Model 41 grips on that one, S&W or aftermarket (Sile, etc), since the issue grips were uncheckered - at least they were when I bought mine (new), back in the day....................

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pete, the grips are plastic and for what I've seen they were the norm for the 46. Wood for the 41. I can't wait to get it out and put some rounds down range.
Old Law Dawg
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I will go 'way out on a limb :wink: and flatly state -- you are going to have a lot of fun! :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Niiiiice!
Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, the S&W M-46 was the econo version of the famed Model 41, and suited for any ammo an owner cares to put through it.
Hmmm, sounds like I should add a 46 to The List instead of a 41...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Plastic, huh ? That sounds like it's time fer a "self-present". ;)

IMHO, It deserves better.

http://www.grips4guns.com/pistol/smithwesson/m41.html

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

OK, I learned something new. I thought the 41 and 46 were the same actions, much like the 27 & 28, but for a higher level of fit & finish. I was unaware that the 46 had a high velocity spring in it.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
cessnapilot
Levergunner

Post by cessnapilot »

Pete44ru wrote:Good choice !

FWIW, the S&W M-46 was the econo version of the famed Model 41, and suited for any ammo an owner cares to put through it.

It looks like someone installed a set of checkered Model 41 grips on that one, S&W or aftermarket (Sile, etc), since the issue grips were uncheckered - at least they were when I bought mine (new), back in the day....................

I've had a Model 41 for almost 30 years, it's designed for standard velocity 22 L.R. Mine feeds that stuff perfectly, high velocity jams it up.