OT - How About 2520mps (8268fps) Muzzle Velocity?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - How About 2520mps (8268fps) Muzzle Velocity?

Post by don Tomás »

Was loading up some .45LC to about 850fps and took a break to read the news. Saw this article about rounds moving out at 100x that speed! I guess this 10 megajoules shot is the Navy equivalent of a "cat sneeze" load as they are eventually going to work their way up to a 64 megajoules test...:shock:
Tom

(Note: It's collapsing electromagnetic fields that launch the projectiles, kinda like a linear induction motor. The burning materials seen in the photos are surface matter from the projectile which has burned free due to friction with the rail gun bore. Also note the over-pressure wave leading the projectile which has been captured by the high speed camera.)

U.S. Navy Demonstrates World's Most Powerful EMRG at 10 Megajoules

Story Number: NNS080201-02
Release Date: 2/1/2008 8:47:00 AM
From Office of Naval Research Public Affairs

080131-N-0000X-001 DAHLGREN, Va. (Jan. 31, 2008) Photograph taken from a high-speed video camera during a record-setting firing of an electromagnetic railgun (EMRG) at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren, Va., on January 31, 2008, firing at 10.64MJ (megajoules) with a muzzle velocity of 2520 meters per second. The Office of Naval Research's EMRG program is part of the Department of the Navy's Science and Technology investments, focused on developing new technologies to support Navy and Marine Corps war fighting needs. This photograph is a frame taken from a high-speed video camera. U.S. Navy Photograph (Released)

DAHLGREN, Va. (NNS) -- The Navy's Office of Naval Research (ONR) successfully conducted a record-setting firing of an electromagnetic rail gun at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren.

An invited audience, including the Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead, who witnessed this revolutionary technology in action.

Roughead noted, "We should never lose sight of always looking for the next big thing, always looking to make our capability better, more effective than what anyone else can put on the battlefield."

He emphasized, "I never ever want to see a Sailor or Marine in a fair fight. I always want them to have the advantage."

ONR's Electromagnetic Rail Gun (EMRG) program is part of the Department of the Navy's Science and Technology investments, focused on developing new technologies to support Navy and Marine Corps war fighting needs.

ONR has facilitated a key partnership between leading scientists and engineers from Boeing, Charles Stark Draper Lab, Inc., General Atomics, Department of Energy (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory), U.S. Naval Academy, Naval Postgraduate School, Naval Sea Systems Command (PMS 500), Naval Surface Warfare Center – Carderock and Dahlgren Divisions, the U.S. Army and United Kingdom.

"We are seeing the culmination of years of research coming together to bring focus to exciting new technology," said Chief of Naval Research, Rear Adm. Bill Landay. "Here at ONR we are striving to move S&T from vision to results."

The technology uses high power electromagnetic energy instead of explosive chemical propellants (energetics) to propel a projectile farther and faster than any preceding gun. At full capability, the rail gun will be able to fire a projectile more than 200 nautical miles at a muzzle velocity of mach seven and impacting its target at mach five. In contrast, the current Navy gun, MK 45 five-inch gun, has a range of nearly 20 miles. The high velocity projectile will destroy its targets due to its kinetic energy rather than with conventional explosives.

The safety aspect of the rail gun is one of its greatest potential advantages, according to Dr. Elizabeth D'Andrea, ONR's Electromagnetic Railgun Program Manager. Safety on board ship is increased because no explosives are required to fire the projectile and no explosive rounds are stored in the ship's magazine.

Science and technology challenges met by ONR in the development of the rail gun include development of the launcher, pulse power generation and the guided projectile design. The program's goal is to demonstrate a full capability, integrated railgun prototype by 2016-2018.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

:shock: I don't think cast bullets would work too good in that gun.

J :?: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Hmmm...
The most excellent feature of explosives are that they are PORTABLE.

This gun would need a nuclear reactor to keep it going in the event of any power outage or fuel shortages.

Energy has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Pretty darn cool though.
I'd love to see mini MINI railguns... (think railgun rifles and pistols!)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll bet I can get a second shot off with my Model 94 faster than that guy can.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Is that a ballistic tip or partition? :P
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Yep, meant to be ship mounted to help deliver ground support further inland

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,160195,00.html

They just got a 32MJ delivered and should be testing it soon. I can't see anything wrong with giving the ground troops better, more accurate support.
The Marines, in particular, are interested in the potential for rail guns to deliver supporting fire from up to 220 miles away -- around 10 times further than standard ship-mounted cannons -- with rounds landing more quickly and with less advance warning than a volley of Tomahawk cruise missiles.
The 32MJ one above is supposed to launch the projectile at Mach 8.

--Carl
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I think they chamber that in the new Super Redhawks. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

hmmm an new electro
model 92 in 32
that would put the mag in short mag
wonder if the recoil would work in my favor with a good brake?

runfivey
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oh WOW the shock wave of the projo passing in close proximity would be enough to shred almost anything. :shock: Could you imagine the impact crater it would leave at those speeds.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
I am not going to get into the details, mind don't understand all. NASA has done tests on impact hits of fast sh*t out there. Using about a pound of gud ol 4064 they send a slug down the tube pressurizing some gas that they use ,geting into heat from compression and release by transfer from decomp. My head is starting to hurt here. Seems heat is energy and the less used in heat or loss is translated to more umph. Anyway when the slug compresses enough gas to a point, a diaphram busts and send a sabot out to the intended target. Velocities of 26,000fps have been documented :shock: :shock: :shock: . Think of the meat damage.
John
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

That'll do a job on a ground squirrel I bet... :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I was wondering why our lights keep dimming :roll:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote::shock: I don't think cast bullets would work too good in that gun.

J :?: e
Just use the appropriate gas check...:lol:

Anybody here play BattleTech back in the 80's? This sounds like the Gauss cannon to me. :shock:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I think I remember hearing that the projectile is an aluminum ball.

Does that make sense? I know that aluminum is lighter but pretty brittle.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

shawn, it doesn't make sense to me........not so much what it's made of, but its shape........round, that is. As I understand it, the absolute outside limit for an accurate shot for a lead round ball from a muzzle-loading rifle was about 400yds. I just don't know how this new one could fly for much , much longer a distance & hit what it's aimed at, with all the wind forces acting on its frontal surface for such a long time. The spire-point or conical projectile shape enabled it to travel accurately for a much longer distance, as opposed to a round ball. Velocity won't help the RB, either. The faster you toss it, the more resistance it'll encounter from air & be deflected by it. That's what I think, anyway...........maybe someone else can add info. jd45
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
As I recall these test were to see what meteor hits would be like on a space craft. The intended target was not far from the muzzle.
John
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

If I remember correctly, some of the first rail gun tests used square blocks as projectiles. Seems the shape isn't all that important. Once you get to a certain speed, you create a shock wave in front of the projectile that's for all intents solid.
At least that's how I remember it :)
Also, this is really just a demonstrator. If the system is ever deployed, I'm sure the war shot would be different
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GANJIRO wrote:That'll do a job on a ground squirrel I bet... :wink:
I think Nath needs one of those for those pesky foxes he's always taking!!! :wink: