Politics - Who's still in the running?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Politics - Who's still in the running?

Post by J Miller »

OK, dumb bell question from IL.

Which NON democrats are left in the running for president?

Illinois primary is next Tuesday and I got the sample ballot in front of me, but
I've lost track of who is gone and who remains.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

McCain....Romney......Huckabee that's the only 3 that I'm sure about. I know Thomson dropped out and so did Guiliani. That's the Republican....I don't know about Libertarians...they are not usually on the primary tickets anyway......I guess they don't count.
phlatnose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phlatnose »

Romney, Huckabee, Paul and McCain, if you calss him as a non democrat.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks, hopefully nobody else drops out before next Tuesday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Romney and Paul are the only two that have money to "go the distance". Romney is "self-funded" and Paul is the biggest fund-raiser crossing the 5 million mark in the first month this year.. Unfortunately quite a number of "Bush Republicans" don't like Paul because he want's to pull out of Iraq immediatly. While I'll support Paul, I'd hate to see us "waste" what's been done in Iraq, but his fiscal polices are the only thing that will keep this country from going broke. Paul's also the only Republican that could win the presidency as he will garner a majority of the Independant vote and a lot of the Democratic vote - since the rest of the candidate still in the race are all so similar..

The bottom line is that I have yet to find a candidate that I 100% agree with - so I'm going to choose the one that I agree with on the greatest number of issues.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

Not a dumb question at all. The press has studiously avoided mentioning Paul because they fear him. He actually follows the Constitution! His desire to immediately pull out of Iraq is just dead wrong though. I understand his disagreement with Iraq in a Constitutional sense - Congress did not declare war (and hasn't since WWII, as required by the Constitution). However, what is done is done, and pulling out now would create a vaccum immediately filled by Iran and the terrorists - one in the same.

Often a President is stuck with issues from the previous administration. Paul would have gone further if he would have acknowledged reality a bit.

I think we'll see Huckabee become Huckabeen after Super Tuesday. Paul has enough money to continue running for a bit. It will be interesting to see how Romney does versus McCain.

It looks like gun owners and conservatives (usually one in the same) will not be pleased this election cycle. We need to remember that even if McCain wins the nomination, he is light-years ahead of Hillary or Obama on gun rights and other items of concern to most of us. I won't like it, but too much is riding on the next election (such as the SCOTUS nominations) to lodge a useless "protest vote" or stay home. I will pinch my nose and vote for whoever is running against Hillary (but I hope it will be against Obama - anything to keep the queen b!tch away from the White House!!!) :evil:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here in Illynoise we have the choice of Republican, Democrat, or Green party.
I don't know anything about the Green party other than they are green.

I'm pretty sure I'll vote for Paul next Tuesday. If McClain gets the nomination I'll have to vote for him. I cannot in any circumstance vote for Hillary.

I also think that if Paul were to be elected he would find out real quick that he can't pull our troops out of Iraq immediately. He might be able to start a gradual withdrawal, but not all at once. He might think he can, but he'd learn a lot from Bush II between the election and actually taking office.

At least that's the way I see things.

Joe
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid - I would disagree with you about McCain. He is no better than Clinton or of the other anti-gunners.

A sampler (I am sure you are aware of this from your affiliation with the pro-gun groups)

Sen McCain voted for an amendment offered by the anti-gun Sen. Charles Schumer of New York that would have restricted the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet. (Source: Congressional Record 5/14/99, p. S5327.)

McCain voted to extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.(Source: Congressional Record 5/20/99, p.S5642.)

John McCain voted AGAINST efforts to kill the Clinton gun control package, which contained al kinds of new gun restrictions, including a ban on many kinds of private gun sales. (Source: Congressional Record 7/28/99, P. S9451.)

And McCain "sponsored the McCain/Lieberman gun show bill, which would have given the federal government the administrative power to prohibit all gun shows, and to register everyone who attends a gun show."

Having lived in Arizona until 1990, I am familiar with his viewpoints and his lying.

If gun owners have a choice between McCain and Clinton or Obama, it will be like chosing between the Beast and the Anti-Christ. Either way you end up with 666 stamped on you.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

mcCain is worse than hillary because he pretends to have Republican values. I'm not sure I wouldn't vote Jane Fonda in before him.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jim -

I couldn't agree more. McCain is no friend of the Second Amendment - or any other Amendment - or the Constitution as a whole. However, since we will elect a President this November - and it will be either the Dem (Hillary or Obama) or the GOP candidate (looking like McCain), a protest vote just gets us the same anti-gunner who is also pro-abortion, pro-tax, anti-business, anti-military, and pro-illegal immigrants.

Too much at stake...
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Political candidates - being the "tough choice" they are, I must say that it's refreshing that folks here are able to discuss personal issues of politics without getting offensive with one another...

I think we all know that every choice we have to make (with regards to politics) is a compromise of sorts - and that we can openly and honestly discuss the options without any undue hard-feelings.

Thanks guys!
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Jim -

I couldn't agree more. McCain is no friend of the Second Amendment - or any other Amendment - or the Constitution as a whole. However, since we will elect a President this November - and it will be either the Dem (Hillary or Obama) or the GOP candidate (looking like McCain),
Too much at stake...
No argument that a lot is at stake. However, a vote for the GOP if it's McCain gets you the same exact thing that you will get if you vote for the Democratic candidate. There isn't 5% difference between Clinton and McCain. Heck, I bet most of us have a larger difference spread with our wives!

And McCain is much more treacherous than Clinton.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So Jim what do you suggest? Vote Obama or Clinton over McCain?

This is the first election that I can remember (been voting since 70) that it looks like there will not even be a lesser of two evils to vote for.

If Clinton is bad, and McCain is bad and they are our only choices, who then do we vote for?

I'm serious here, there has always been a lesser of two evils, but unless Paul gets the nomination, there won't be.
If the choice is Clinton or McCain, I suppose flipping a coin would be just as good a way to decide as any.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

McCain is bad. Romney is even worse though.

The only really decent ones still on the table are Paul and Huckabee, but since the east coast big media says they "aren't electable" the Republicans so far have stepped in line and voted for the 'lesser evil of the electables' even among their primary candidates!

We get what we ask for, in the end...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Theres just one guy not out to screw us. He might not be the brightest candle on the cake but he's there & the nominations arent over because some TV or newspaper bozo dont even mention his name.
Vote for the best man for the country, he might win.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Joe - and everyone else who reads this -

I am not intelligent enough nor learned enough in the subject to advise anyone as to how they should vote.

I do suggest that everyone spend quite a bit of time on their knees asking for Divine help for this Nation of ours.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: I do suggest that everyone spend quite a bit of time on their knees asking for Divine help for this Nation of ours.
Again, I couldn't agree more.

Jim, as far as the difference between Hillary and McCain, there is a bit more than 5%. Even if it was only 1/2%, I'd take anyone not named "Hillary Clinton"!

This is an interesting article.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/Mich ... ohn_mccain

I don't agree with all of it, but it does give one cause for pause. I think there is no doubt that McCain is infinitely better on the "pro-life" measure than either Hillary or Obama. Again, if they are equally bad on guns, as Christians, there are still other things we need to consider.