Any Old West Action in Your Family?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The central region of Canada was a bit slower at getting settled than the USA. My Great Great Grandfather, John, with his son William, came over from England around 1893 and journeyed to a town named Brandon, Manitoba. With the rest of his family remaining in Brandon, John and his son William journeyed north into what became known as the Dauphin Valley. The land was utterly wild and unsettled, covered with virgin forest and swamps, too inhospitable and distant from civilization to attract any outlaw. John acquired 10,000 acres (he must have bought it, because that was way larger than any normal claim) and began to clear the land and build a cabin for their families waiting for them in Brandon, who joined them the following spring. There were still Cree Indians in the area at that time, and John and William would hire them to work on what were then huge projects of cutting drainage canals through the forests to drain the swamps and building reservoirs to regulate the water. There were no shoot-outs or fights; the Indians were peaceable and liked to earn money. We all respected them and treated them well, helping them with other things when the need arose. Oddly, the number of Indians began to decline. When I was a boy, my father hired the few that were left. I worked with them on our land, but they were getting old when I was still young. There was only one boy my age, named Robbie. We became friends. All the old Indians died and only Robbie and his three brothers were left and lived with their grandparents. When their grandparents died, Robbie and his brothers moved away and I never saw them again. They were the last of the Indians who lived in the area that my Great Great Grandfather John and his son William settled. It took several generations to clear that 10,000 acres of the forests and swamps (and small areas of 40 or more acres still stand today). My father and I were still clearing land when I was in my teens. Sometimes we would find Buffalo bones and the occasional Indian stone hammerhead. The land is tamed now, and no Indians are left ..... seems kind of sad to me.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

uuuhhhh...i forgot... :shock:

my gggrandpa was in the 17th lemoyne infantry and was captured or died at the battle of corinth.

he enlisted in the confederate army at wilsons store arkansas (wherever that is/was)
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My GG Grandfather was a New Mexican ( territory back then ) went North to fight with the Union in the war of Southern Aggression.
Figured slavery was not right, it was his Saddle that was stolen out of the barn
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That's too bad Mescalero. You just wonder if it wasn't someone who knew something about you having it. Most thieves would just think it's just an old junker of a saddle, something not worth taking you'd think. :?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

mescalero1 wrote:My GG Grandfather was a New Mexican ( territory back then ) went North to fight with the Union in the war of Southern Aggression.
Figured slavery was not right, it was his Saddle that was stolen out of the barn
Don't know what history books you've been reading, but it was the Northern states that aggressively invaded the Southern states, denying them the right to determine for themselves what path to follow. The south did NOT invade northern territories until after they'd been subjected to Yankee invasions themselves.

Paul - in Pereira
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It was a bad time, and folks saw things the way it affected them.
GGF had a hard time of it when he got back for his stand on things.
I can not say for sure, but I bet the one who stole it was a granchild of one of my Granmothers friends.
I do not agree with paying ransom, but I would have gladly payed whatever price the saddle brought to still have it
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

mescalero1 wrote:It was a bad time, and folks saw things the way it affected them.
GGF had a hard time of it when he got back for his stand on things.
I can not say for sure, but I bet the one who stole it was a granchild of one of my Granmothers friends.
I do not agree with paying ransom, but I would have gladly payed whatever price the saddle brought to still have it
I can understand. The "late unpleasantness" tore asunder families and communities, causing rifts that last to this day in many cases.

Thieves are a scourge. They cause more damage than they'll ever receive benefit. Horse whipping is too good for many of them. An old family heirloom can never be replaced.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

AmBra Col,
Thank you, the thief stole dollars from me; that is nothing!
My heritage was lost, that is the tragedy
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Well, a very long time ago I had some relatives cross the Smokey mountains into the Western Frontier of what is now called East Tennessee before it became the 16th State of this great nation. Does that count???
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I have a copy of a gg grandfather's Civil War memoir. He was a Confederate at Vicksburg. His squad defended a rifled canon, nick-named "Whistlin' Dick," that was used against boats bringing Union troops to the battle. A quote: "Many a Yankee was brought to a watery grave by the balls of Whistlin' Dick!"

It's an interesting read.

A tripple great granddaddy was in the Runnaway Scrape.

My wife's gg grandmother was the first white female born in Comanche County (1855). When she was less than one year old, "friendly" Indians made a nuissance of themselves trying to get what sugar and such they could from farmer's wives. On one occasian after some had made a visit, her mother (ggg grandmother) was alarmed to discover the baby in the craddle was an Indian child and not her own. She sounded the alarm and their child was found naked on a blanket, surrounded by a bunch of Indians who had never seen a red-headed baby before. The Indians in the following "discussion" wanted to make it clear that they had not stolen the child, they had "traded".

One of the babe's brothers partnered with W. F. Cody in the buffalo hunting business.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

That is a cool story! My GG Grandfather was wounded in the Wilderness Fighting in Longstreet's Corp as part of the Army of North Carolina. My GGGG Grandfather saw action in the War of 1812 in the Carolina Militia and his father fought in the Revolution. Still, I cant say anyone ever wanted to "trade" one of my families children!!!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member