OT - my new "China Doll"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - my new "China Doll"

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A while back, I sold a gun on gunbroker and so had some cash... and I saw a classified on another board for a "Nornico 320 Uzi package" - a Norinco 320 Uzi and a bunch of mags and accessories. I ended up trading an AK and some cash to get this. It came with a thumbhole stock - to be legal as it was 100% imported parts and couldn't have the "evil" pistol grip feature... So, I decided to get the needed US-made parts and make her 922r compliant so that I could lose the thumbhole stock and go with the proper pistol grip. This is a 9x19 chambered carbine and accepts imported 32 round mags - legally.

Here is the end result: (shown with a 25 round mag)

The QD butstock is pinned in such a way that you must remove the stock screws to allow the pin to drop and release the mounting plate to move. The carbine is too short by a couple inches to be able to have a true quick-detach stock on it. The folder is fine though as they are measured in the open state. The PG and hand guards are from Uzi Grips and the operating rod, sear and firing pin assembly are all from D&D - great service all the way around from both suppliers.

I also decided to go with a Title II fake can - very nice piece! I am impressed with how well it fit to the gun - perfect. And it makes her look much better than with the long skinny barrel).

I did have to do some surgery on the sear and I also shortened the operating rod to match the origninal (though, I don't know if I really had to...). The sear was sticking on the safety catch at the front and allowing the firing pin assembly to ride forward with the bolt instead of remaining cocked! Not good, but removing the offending material on the sear that was binding against the safety plate did the trick... took me a while to figure that one out! I also staked the bottom of the grip safety rod to raise it up a bit as it was worn at the front and not really securing the sear axis pin as well as I would like. She works like a clock now - at least with manual manipulations... I will be taking it to the range tomorrow to give it a spin.

I must admit - I enjoyed the whole process. I am an itinerate tinkerer and WECSOG'ser, and this gave me plenty of challenge. Took me three days of messing around, looking at it, sleeping on it and examining again to solve the riddle of what was out of whack and causing the malfunction.

These typically shoot 6" groups at 100 yards - but can do much better - some report 2" groups at that distance, but this is a defensive type firearm intended mostly for close-in work, so this is very good accuracy for such a piece.

You guys can obviously see from this and other posts of mine that leverguns are just one of the types of firearms that I like and accumulate. Thought you might like to see it. And it is my duty as a board member to tease ya'll with stories and pics and maybe incite some new interest/purchase :D

Just returning the ongoing favor :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
txpete
Departed Friend

Re: OT - my new "China Doll"

Post by txpete »

8) wow nice!!!.
pete
DAV life member.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Them prairy dogs are in trouble now,,,, :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nath wrote:Them prairy dogs are in trouble now,,,, :lol:

Nath.
Is that what you call them over there? :lol: :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

VERY interesting.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Like we really wanna see somthing like that. Who needs a gun that holds 25-30 rounds :lol: What good is it for?? Pictures like that just remind me how much I would love to buy one. Thanks for bringing up old feelings i buried long ago. Thats part of the reason i bought a 10/22. Shoot fast and pop in a another clip. Look foward to a range report.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I like it a lot! Especially as set up the way you have - VERY nice.

I'm partial to 9mm carbines because they're so much fun to plink with. Great stuff!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks - going to the range shortly! We have a cold snap here in Texas and its a bit windy but not so cold that I can't shoot at the range :)

This is an "original" condition look. The Uzi is a military weapon. Its quite heavy - like 9 lbs or so - due mostly to the blow-back mechanism and consequent heavy bolt.

They do look a little like something that was designed by a committee though don't they? :lol:

Not nearly as sveldt and pretty as a Win 94 and they ain't much for deer hunting :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They're fun to shoot, even more fun in the original configuration.

While they're essentially useless these days i do have a soft spot for submachine guns. I never carried one on active duty but I like studying them. I've put a few hundred rounds through a select fire Uzi and have known others who've carried them in wars (1967, 1973 and the various Arab/Israeli fighting in between).. solid shooting weapon.

In the end though, it's as heavy as an M16 without half the power or range, which is why the IDF went away from using them much.

Have fun with yours....the wood stock is more comfortable but the folder more practical (for military use).
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I did! :) And yes, this is a range toy. Though, if I didn't have better guns for the purpose, I'd feel well protected with one of these. And it has the added benefit of sharing a caliber with autoloader pistols - and I've got a few 9mm's to go with it :)

Anyhoo, just got back from the range. It was pretty crowded, so I didn't take any pics. This is why I try and sneak away for a few hours during the week to shoot when I can - usually not very busy then...

She ran good but did have a couple of failures to feed. I attribute this to the stiffer mainspring that I installed, so I'm going to fix that. +P ammo would probably fix this too but I'm going to shoot standard Winchester white box ammo out of her most of the time and I want it to run right with that.

Accuracy was great! Definately minute of pie plate at 100 yards with just the front rested - around 6" groups and she was already sighted in - just had to adjust the front sight down a couple clicks and the rear sight to the left one - to get it dead on for me at 100 yards. The targets that I normally use were sold out - six, big black circles - and the best they had were different color and shapes - couldn't even see the yellow targets... so less than well defined aiming points. I think I could do better with the black targets and no "brap brap brap" of .223's and 7.62x39's ringing in my ears :roll: But that's the nature of a public range.

There was a young couple (early 20's) shooting next to me - a .22LR rifle. I asked them if they'd like to shoot it - and they did (they were watching me shoot) - they both seemed to enjoy it - not much kick and "exotic" - to them at least ;) To quote Frank Burns - "it's nice to be nice to the nice" :lol:

Oh and the range officer asked me "is that a supressor?" - I told him it was fake and he could stand behind me as I shot and tell :P This range does allow supressors and we do get some from time to time, so it was no biggy -though, he probably wouldv'e wanted to see a copy of the stamp if it were a real can...

It is actually pretty quiet - the 16.25" barrel does a nice job of quelling most of report of the 9mm - and I detected absolutely no muzzle blast. Since all of the powder burns before the bullet even gets out of the case, the flash is probably extinguished before the bullet is half way down the barrel. It also placed all of the ejected rounds just forward and right of the port - very nice for retrieving the brass. A practical situation really...

All and all I am really happy with it and glad that I got it. :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's interesting!!! 8)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I did! :)

It is actually pretty quiet - the 16.25" barrel does a nice job of quelling most of report of the 9mm - and I detected absolutely no muzzle blast. Since all of the powder burns before the bullet even gets out of the case, the flash is probably extinguished before the bullet is half way down the barrel. :D
Thats interesting. I have a Super 16" 9mm Contender barrel and its way too loud to shoot with out muffs even in a hunting situation. My 18" 45ACP barrel is tolerable for 3-4 shots. Anyone care to speculate why? Would the "blowback" action soak up some of the noise? Glad you had a good range day. I almost always ask people if they want shoot whatever guns i have if, they look even the least bit interested in 'em. Ladies especially, seem to really like shooting my 10" 222 Contender.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I was talking realative to the AR's being shot nearby. Mine sounded like poof poof poof to the AR's blam blam blam. I could actually discern the action's clickety clack through my ear plugs and muffs (I wear both nowadays).

My Keltec Sub2000 is about the same - and it too is a blowback... so maybe there's something to that...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

COOL! The worst thing I remember about them was reloading that big magzine.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Suppressed Uzi sounds like "click click click" with a bit of gas puff. I ran about 90 rounds suppressed through one with a Gemtech mounted. :)

A friend,formerly in the Israeli counterterror unit YAMAM, in his days before that was working in Jerusalem as a regular troop (commando type) and carried a Browning Hi-power. Contrary to Israeli practice and regulation he carried it cocked and locked (they all rack and draw). One time discussing something with an Arab, the guy grabbed for his Uzi slung across his chest. He trapped it with his left and the guy suddenly sprouted a 9mm Browning in his ear while he was asked if he really, really wanted to meet Allah today.

The guy did not. He did jail time. When it comes down to that range....pistol still beat SMG needing the bolt racked. :)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice toy, the 124 grain NATO loads +P will make it work a bit better. The 9mm 115 standard ball does not have enough recoil to push the heavy bolt back all the time. I had a GOV full auto UZI with American 9mm run the full magazine with out stopping due to not having enough power to push the bolt back far enough to engage the sear.
Even my MP-5s (A-3 and K) work better with the hotter loads.
I like the 124 grain Gold Dot +P the best for accuracy and power for meat shooting.
It is not the critic who counts
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks Paladin - I've lightened the spring but if that doesn't do it, then I'll switch to the heavier loads... I also polished the feed ramp some - not a mirror finish but a lot smoother than it was with the parkerizing.

MrMurphy - I would love to sit down over a few beers with you and just listen to some of your recounts - bet you have a bunch of great stories to relate. :) And I know that there are other members here too with your kind of experience as well.

My range allows for supressors and there are actually quite a few folks in the area that do the stamp thing and get them. I've thought about it... but not right now - too many other things demanding my attention and money :roll:

I guess the thing to do is form a "trust" (can be done with $40 program) and then do the paperwork and send it in with the $200 check (I think it's $200 for the supressor...). Same thing for SBR and FA - only $300 for the FA - not to mention the $7000+ for the gun.

A lot of guys seem to get a .22 caliber supressor that they can then use on their AR's and .22 LR pistols - all threaded the same. It's the supressor itself that's registered, not the guns that it goes on apparently.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've done things in the past, but in most cases, i've known a lot of other guys who've been around just as much if not more, and I have a good memory. And I always remember which of us did what (no taking claim for others actions....i've got enough things to be proud of).

Haven't been in contact with that particular Israeli in several years, but he had some wild stories. :) Apparently one time they did a hostile extraction when an undercover op was blown, everyone had pistols and maybe 1 Uzi among them and they shot their way through a dozen plus magazines on the way out among the five or so guys, firing a shot at anyone looking/aiming their way from what i remember.....they had to walk out of the area they'd been planning on staging either a kidnapping or a hit on a senior terrorist leader. That would be a long walk.......wish i remembered more details.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Just the thing if you need to take down some hijackers on an El Al flight, circa 1978 :D

"McCoy! Its a go! Take 'em down! "
----- Doug
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well this is a Chinese copy of an Uzi, so it doesn't have any "memories" :) Other than it's arduous trip through US importation :lol:

Like I said, it would be enjoyable to hear the recollections... you should write a book!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Nah. I never did time in combat, though some of the "non" combat stuff...got interesting.

The guys I know, if they wrote books, most of it would have to be written 'around' as it's all still classified. Different branch, far higher up the food chain, and they went some interesting places we never officially were.