45LC Case Length?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

45LC Case Length?

Post by Mainehunter »

What's the correct trim-to-length for the 45LC? I have a couple of reloading books and they are not consistent :? . It's either 1.265, 1.275 or 1.280. Any help?

Mainehunter :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The oldest manuals I have, and the few schematic drawings show 1.280" as being the trim to length, with 1.285 being max length.
However I've seen it at the shorter lengths too.

The problem I've found is that manufacturers are getting sloppy with their tolerances. I've run across brand new brass that did not make the 1.280" trim to length.

I tend to go with Winchesters specs, they show the 1.285" max length and the 1.280" as trim to length.

What this means is that I rarely ever, meaning almost never trim my .45 Colt brass.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bigjeepman
Levergunner

Post by bigjeepman »

I have never trimmed my .45 colt brass.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I think J Miller nailed it. Many guys will trim their brass to match the shortest case in the batch as long as it does not exceed the chamber length of the arm in question. Regards. 1886.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Thanks for the info!

Mainehunter :wink: