Polishing A BLR Chamber?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Polishing A BLR Chamber?

Post by Fiddler »

When shooting my non-takedown Japanese BLR this morning, I noticed I had to put some extra muscle into the lever in order to extract the fired casings from the chamber. It was rougher than usual. The necks weren't split or anything.
It couldn't have been fouling because this rifle is kept very clean while in storage. I dry-patched the bore and chamber before I went shooting.
When this happens with my pump shotgun, I remove the barrel, put it in a padded vise, and polish the chamber with a brush covered in steel wool, mounted on a power drill. This works like a charm.
I'd try it on the BLR, but I can't get a straight line into the chamber without removing the bolt, etc. Whatta pain!
Anybody got any ideas?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Polishing A BLR Chamber?

Post by BigSky56 »

a wood or nylon dowel the length of the barrel and turned from the barrel end with a drill and wool on the chamber end. danny
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"a wood or nylon dowel the length of the barrel and turned from the barrel end with a drill and wool on the chamber end."
I used to have a BLR, and I think that idea would work. You'd have to tap the end of the rod/dowel to accept the bore/chamber brush, but that's doable.

I'd also suggest you put small "rings" of black pvc tape (several wraps to slightly increase the OD) around the rod/dowel from 3" in front of chamber, in the middle of bore and 3" from the muzzle -- to keep it from rubbing the bore if it flexed.

At the muzzle end, you could use one of those brass cone-shaped muzzle guards they sell for cleaning rods.

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Fiddler,

Before you polish, try this. Fire a round and (if it is acting like it is going to be difficult), cock the hammer manualy and then work the lever. If the rough chamber issue went away, you need to remove the butt stock and clean/oil the mainspring tube and related parts.

If this issue just started, I am betting it is not a rough chamber. I also recommend trying liquid WipeOut cleaner. I tested it behind some other well known cleaners and was astonded by what it still removed from chambers and barrels.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody.
Say Bruce, would that mainspring problem show itself while dry-firing? When I dry-fire, the action works slicker than snot on a glass doorknob.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Not neccessarily. All fired cases expand some (chamber fit if you will) and if there is some build up in the chamber, dry firing will not disclose it. I can help, but I need to ask some questions.

Has the rifle been taken apart?

Are you using reloads?

Have you recently changed ammo?

How old is the rifle?

Did the problem just start?

Has it been shot a lot - you have had it a long time?

Does it only do it on the last round in the magazine?

What is the caliber?

Have you recently installed a scope?

I need a history relating to the above questions. BLR's are known to have a tight chamber. If none of the above questions seem to suggest an answer, I am betting on a dirty chamber. If so and you can't get Wipe Out locally, try this. Push your cleaning rod (w/ brass brush) through from the muzzle end. By using the ejection port opening, wrap brass wool (Choir Boy "Chore Boy" from grocery store) around the brush and pull slightly back into the chamber and turn until you are happy. Then clean again.

Bottom line, if the rifle has been used at all (w/ nothing else being changed) and the problem is just now showing, it should not be a rough chamber issue.
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Bruce wrote:Not neccessarily. All fired cases expand some (chamber fit if you will) and if there is some build up in the chamber, dry firing will not disclose it. I can help, but I need to ask some questions.

Has the rifle been taken apart?
No

Are you using reloads?
No
Have you recently changed ammo?
No
How old is the rifle?
Did the problem just start?
Yes

Has it been shot a lot - you have had it a long time?
Bought it used ten years ago, maybe five boxes of ammo since I owned it

Does it only do it on the last round in the magazine?
No, all the rounds.

What is the caliber?
7mm-08

Have you recently installed a scope?
Scope's been on for years.

I need a history relating to the above questions. BLR's are known to have a tight chamber. If none of the above questions seem to suggest an answer, I am betting on a dirty chamber. If so and you can't get Wipe Out locally, try this. Push your cleaning rod (w/ brass brush) through from the muzzle end. By using the ejection port opening, wrap brass wool (Choir Boy "Chore Boy" from grocery store) around the brush and pull slightly back into the chamber and turn until you are happy. Then clean again.

Bottom line, if the rifle has been used at all (w/ nothing else being changed) and the problem is just now showing, it should not be a rough chamber issue.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

The issue sounds like some kind of build up in the chamber. If it did it w/o ammo present, it could be a foreign object in the action - but you have already ruled that out.