Snapped my Marble's Tang sight clean off....@#%!&!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Snapped my Marble's Tang sight clean off....@#%!&!

Post by CaptainFinn »

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a gentleman...swearing would be a great release right now...

Sighted in my 92 this weekend. Cleaning it today in prep for hunting this week. Had the rifle resting muzzle-down after swabbing the bore with Hoppes. Like an idiot, I left the sight stem in the upright position. Rifle went over with a crash and the stem was bent double. Barely touched it and the stem beoke off just above the threads.

I went to the Marble's website and lo and behold, they don't sell to us public proles, I have to order through a distributor.

Called Brownells (I bought the original sight there) and all they carry are whole sights. My sight is a 'standard' sight, not the 'improved' sight with replaceable stems (they carry stems for the improved sight).

I checked with Numrich, Midway, and Buffalo arms and they all carry stems for the improved but not the standard sight.

Marbles website doesn't even offer a price list or parts list for replacement/repair parts. I shot them an e-mail but guess I better plan on a using a different rifle this week....

Anyone know if by chance the standard sight can use the improved model stems ? I REALLY don't fancy having to buy a whole new sight. Hopefully Marbles will deign to sell a replacement stem to a lowly private citizen like myself. The whole 'we only sell to distributors' stance really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Kind of like when firearms manufacturers/importers won't sell to individual FFL's, only to 'stocking dealers'....

Okay, my feeble PG-rated rant is over. G'night all !!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Snapped my Marble's Tang sight clean off....@#%!&!

Post by J Miller »

CaptainFinn wrote:Sometimes I wish I wasn't a gentleman...swearing would be a great release right now...

Sighted in my 92 this weekend. Cleaning it today in prep for hunting this week. Had the rifle resting muzzle-down after swabbing the bore with Hoppes. Like an idiot, I left the sight stem in the upright position. Rifle went over with a crash and the stem was bent double. Barely touched it and the stem beoke off just above the threads.

I went to the Marble's website and lo and behold, they don't sell to us public proles, I have to order through a distributor.

Called Brownells (I bought the original sight there) and all they carry are whole sights. My sight is a 'standard' sight, not the 'improved' sight with replaceable stems (they carry stems for the improved sight).

I checked with Numrich, Midway, and Buffalo arms and they all carry stems for the improved but not the standard sight.

Marbles website doesn't even offer a price list or parts list for replacement/repair parts. I shot them an e-mail but guess I better plan on a using a different rifle this week....

Anyone know if by chance the standard sight can use the improved model stems ? I REALLY don't fancy having to buy a whole new sight. Hopefully Marbles will deign to sell a replacement stem to a lowly private citizen like myself. The whole 'we only sell to distributors' stance really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Kind of like when firearms manufacturers/importers won't sell to individual FFL's, only to 'stocking dealers'....

Okay, my feeble PG-rated rant is over. G'night all !!!
Call Marbles on the phone and talk to them. They do sell parts and will repair damaged sights.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have purchased just the stem for $6 from Buffalo Arms in the past. I know you stated that you "checked with" Buffalo Arms, so I hope that means a phone call, and not just checking on their website. It has been a couple years, but they were able to provide me with just the threaded old style stem when I needed a taller one.

The "improved" model stems as I understand from the Marble's website are a complete assembly with knurled elevation knob, held in place on the "improved" base by a set screw, so that stem assemblies on new style sights can be switched rather easily. I don't know if just the threaded stem portion taken from a new stem assembly will interchange with the old style sight stem, but even if they did, buying the whole assembly would probably be cost prohibitive.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
That certainly is not a pleasant way to have to pack up a rifle.
You might try aclling about some gunsmiths.. sometimes they have that odd part laying about.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Gonna call Marble's this morning. $6 seems pretty reasonable for a replacement stem.

My fault entirely that I broke the sight. Checked the Marble's website and the new 'improved' stems will NOT fit the older 'standard' sights. Hopefully the standard stems aren't as expensive as the improved shafts ($44 +)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You might need Shasta's disassembly tips...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, Captain, that just sucks. Hope Marbles is able to help ya out.

Hobie, I've gotta get to your site more often. The link to Shasta's tutorial was great. Good job, Shasta.
Old Law Dawg
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

UPDATE: Great Customer Service

Got an e-mail reply from Marble's this morning...they are sending me a new post free of charge ! Great customer serviceis alive and kicking in my home state ! Thanks Marbles ! :D
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Glad you got squared away. I have dealt with Marbles several times and always had first-class customer service.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Ahem.... That is just one of the reasons I won't have a tang sight on a rifle. I much prefer a receiver mounted peep sight of all steel. The best ever made for a hunting rifle was the old Redfield 102. Once set and locked, it was as rugged as a sight can get and every bit as accurate at the feeble and flimsy tang.

If I were a rich man (that would make a catchy tune), I would start making and selling the 102 again as a service to new generations of sportsmen. I would have a few thousand made for Winchester and Marlin leverguns, and sell them from my garage over the Internet.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

If I read this right>>> Marbles still has some old style stems in stock?

I have a old W1 and have been searching high and low for the stem for 3 years now.

ANY body know anyone who can repair those old flip up express sights?
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Glad Marbles will sell a part.

I needed a stem for a Lyman tang sight, one of the new versions. I called them on the phone and they wouldnt sell me a stem. They only sell the whole sight. I got the sight on a gun, and someone had ground a flat spot on it to help keep it indexed, but they did it off center, so it locked down rotated off square.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hillbilly wrote:If I read this right>>> Marbles still has some old style stems in stock?

I have a old W1 and have been searching high and low for the stem for 3 years now.

ANY body know anyone who can repair those old flip up express sights?
The W1 is an original "vintage" sight. Marbles does not have parts or repairs, but I have a source. :wink:

Marbles Fix,inc
Mike Maraccini
marblesfix(at)chartermi(dot)net
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Thanks...Is that the mystery guy who bought up all the NOS from Marbles a few years back... first firm lead I've got on him.. thank you.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hillbilly wrote:Thanks...Is that the mystery guy who bought up all the NOS from Marbles a few years back... first firm lead I've got on him.. thank you.

Mike was allowed to clean up the floors, many years ago, under the benches. He got a goldmine worth of parts. He also repairs Marbles axes, knives, etc. Excellent work, really fair price, and super fast turnaround.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad you got a parts-source.

Although I know ANY sight could be ruined with the right accident, one reason I relegate tang sights to the 'target shooting gun' role is that fragility. Much harder to destroy a Williams FP (or Lyman, or other brand) receiver sight.

The most 'indestructable' sights I've EVER seen are those on the 1980's vintage Ruger Mini-14's. I'll bet you could drop those guns ten feet onto concrete and have them land ON their front and rear sights, and still use them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

A $6 part buys more good will and eventual sales
than many hi-dollar advertising campaigns.

Glad you're all set, Cap'n.

-Stretch
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

[quote="
The W1 is an original "vintage" sight. ][/quote]

Just how old are the vintage Marbles W1 tang sites? I bought a used one for my circa 1880 Marlin-Ballard years ago, and am not sure if it is period-correct. I may have to mount it on my Marlin Model 1893 32-40 rifle instead if it doesn't date back to the 1890's or so.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stretch wrote:A $6 part buys more good will and eventual sales
than many hi-dollar advertising campaigns.
Yep. Many businesses succeed due to having grasped such concepts, or fail because they didn't.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Just how old are the vintage Marbles W1 tang sites? I bought a used one for my circa 1880 Marlin-Ballard years ago, and am not sure if it is period-correct. I may have to mount it on my Marlin Model 1893 32-40 rifle instead if it doesn't date back to the 1890's or so.
[quote="
The W1 is an original "vintage" sight. ][/quote]

I'd go to the Marbles web site...they used to have some history and timelines up.

I am pretty sure mines been on it's 1912 serialed Rifle since day one. The sight seems to have about the same wear as the tang... and the blueing is very nice under the base.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

2nd Update:

Recieved my package from Marbles on Monday. Detailed instructions on disassembling the sight and replacing the post. A brand-new post/stem and an invoice. No charge. Great customer service.

Got the sight apart (wow, a lot of tiny parts in there!)...and the new post is .125 inch SHORTER then the original. They sent me a 'short' post instead of a 'medium' post. E-mailed the nice lady at Marbles on Tuesday and she said a 'medium' post is being sent out toot-sweet.