32 Special strikes again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

32 Special strikes again

Post by Marlin32 »

Killed a whitetail buck with 32 special, again. Not a big buck by any means (thank God, snowed here and had to drag deer a loooonnnggggg ways and most of it up hill!!

Anyway, 170grain Federal commerical ammo. Heart and liver were completely destroyed, left a swath of blood 6" wide and solid like you used a paint brush to were he was laying. 25 yards from where he was shot, and that was because he stumbled down hill that far before doing a face plant. Granted, shot was probably 20 yards. My 357 would have been perfect there as well, but not legal with Federal 180's anyway in Neb.

Anyway, wanted to share, 32 Special Marlin 336A, Dad shot one 30 minutes earlier, 30/30 Marlin 336 Carbine. 170 grain Federal too. One shot, deer fell dead right there, also about 20 yards, Dad claims it was self defense. But judging from size of antlers, I told him I do not believe there was any real threat. HA!
Hobie

Re: 32 Special strikes again

Post by Hobie »

Hunting with Dad AND deer brought home. Can't get better than that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Awesome! Congratulations to you and your Dad. There's a reason those old rifles have stayed popular for nearly 120 years.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well done!
Some pics would be nice though. :wink:
NRA Life Member
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Great to be able to go with your dad and hunt. Miss the days I did that with mine...
And as to the .32 Spl,,,,That is an unsung cartridge. My old street partner and lifelong huntin' buddy used a Marlin 336 in .32 Spl. with a 4X Redfield on top. He was deadly with that weapon. All one shot kills. Myself, I had for many years a Winchester 94 with a 16" Barrel and big bow lever. I recall it was called a "Wrangler"?? At any rate, it was chambered in .32 Spl. and even with that short tube, it was a real stopper out to 150 yds. I had many weapons in those days, but me and my bud always loved shootin' those 32's! I'd neck up .30-30 cases and load them for our .32's. Mine loved cast rounds with a GC in place. Would drop bucks like a dream.

Again, glad you had a great hunt with your dad. Hope there are many more to come! And.....Keep that .32 Spl. handy! It's a great piece!

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow thats a Hunt I was never able to go on. You are truley Blessed.Good for both of You. :D .
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

Marlin:

You don't realize what a blessing that hunt with your dad is. Treasure the time with him and store up those memories.

My father was my hunting buddy for over 40 years. He passed away this summer. I miss him enormously and will be reminded of his passing afresh at this year's deer camp. In his memory, I'll be conducting this year's hunt with his Winchester Model 94 .30-30, which I inherited. I only hope I'm fortunate enough to take a deer with the rifle.

Rem
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my dad was not a hunter. wish we could have shared those memories. you are a blessed man. congrats to you both on your success
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good deal!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Remington40x wrote:Marlin:

You don't realize what a blessing that hunt with your dad is. Treasure the time with him and store up those memories.

Rem

+1

Like they say; these are the good old days. Time passes by so fast. I never thought that the day would come when my Dad wouldn't be around to hunt, fish and camp with any more. He has been gone over seven years already. Glad that you had a good hunt with your Dad.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I meant to add that my Dad's "deer rifle" was an early '50s Marlin 336SC in 32WS. He had it D&T'd, mounted a steel tube K4 Weaver on see-thru rings.

I have the rifle now; removed the scope and those awful rings (sorry Dad), plugged the holes and mounted a Williams receiver sight.

My son wants to know when I am going to pass it down to him.... um, not yet.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice to hear a 32special still taking game, say that bullet of yours probably spun less than seventy times and your dads 60times :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very good and that cartridge has always held some allure but never came across one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Great hunt!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for you and your dad! I have several rifles in both 30-30 and 32WS. Shot deer with both and really have a soft spot for 32WS. Strangely, in both my Marlin's and Winchesters have always got slightly better accuracy out of 32WS.
Still hunting with my dad too and hope for many more years.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sounds like a perfect hunt. Yep the 32 special is going with me this weekend .
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

great times and great result.
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

Good to hear that guys are still hunting with Dad and with the old .32...pics would be good
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:Hunting with Dad AND deer brought home. Can't get better than that.

+10 on that
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations! Can't get any better than that.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Congrats indeed!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My brother finally got into the timber Wednesday evening, shot a young doe yesterday morning with a...You guessed it... a Marlin 30/30 (actually the Glenfield version)
Put an early end to my turkey hunt though. Had to help drag it out.

Two weeks until Muzzle loader season. Getting ready for that today.