45 Colt load needed for 24" rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

45 Colt load needed for 24" rifle

Post by bluesman423 »

Looking for a 300 gr cast bullet load for an EMF 92 with 24" barrel and chambered in 45 Colt. It will be used for pigs, whitetail, mule, elk and hopefully black bear.

Thanks if you can help.
Don McDowell

Re: 45 Colt load needed for 24" rifle

Post by Don McDowell »

Look at your favorite reloading manual for the 300 gr loads listed there for the handguns, and then you can figure around 2-300 fps more velocity out of your rifle....
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don McDowell wrote:Look at your favorite reloading manual for the 300 gr loads listed there for the handguns, and then you can figure around 2-300 fps more velocity out of your rifle....
Absolutely correct. 23 gr. H110 seems to work well in my carbine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I actually have settled on 5744 for the heavy bullets, seem to get better accuracy than with H110, altho Lilgun turned in some very pleasingly small groups...
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

5744 you can run it slow or fast great powder also works in rifle cartridges. danny
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like LiL'Gun for pistol loads, but in a carbine you need to understand that it burns very hot. Rapid firing will make the barrel too hot to touch. You might want to check out IMR 4227. In a carbine, a slower powder usually gives higher velocity over the really fast pistol powders. This was a tip given to me by Mike Rintoul of Grizzly, and it has worked for me using a .480 Ruger cartridge in both a pistol and Puma 92 rifle. In my pistol, the 4227 is 300 fps slower than the Li'L Gun, but in the rifle the exact opposite is true. I used a Chrony beta master for the velocity testing. It appears that in the longer barrel the slower powder continues to push the bullet faster all the way out, but the faster powder finishes before the bullet exits. You should look at the slower powders, and 4227 is not the only one which would give these kind of increased results in a 24 inch barrel, but it is the one I have used.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Hey Guys.......let me remind you, he asked for load recommendations for a 24" barrel. That is NOT a CARBINE!!! You need to adjust for his barrel length, do you not? jd45
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

jd45 wrote:Hey Guys.......let me remind you, he asked for load recommendations for a 24" barrel. That is NOT a CARBINE!!! You need to adjust for his barrel length, do you not? jd45
No you don't.
The only thing the longer barrel will do is add velocity. except for with some powders the velocity may actually drop in the longer tube.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

+1 on what Hobie said. 23 gr of H110 and a 300-grain cast bullet (I use a 300 GR LFNGC from Cast Bullet Performance Co). I shoot this through a 92 Carbine and a 92 24" rifle.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

OK Don, I stand corrected. Thanx for the enlightenment. jd45