44spl wadcutter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

44spl wadcutter

Post by JNG »

Does anybody sell 44 spl wadcutter bullets? Love to try them in my Bulldog.

Thanks
Hobie

Re: 44spl wadcutter

Post by Hobie »

JNG wrote:Does anybody sell 44 spl wadcutter bullets? Love to try them in my Bulldog.

Thanks
I don't know of a commercial producer of .44 Special WC ammunition but if I remember correctly Frank at Mount Baldy Bullets produces a .431" WC for such use. The cost, again IIRC, is $22 a hundred + shipping (USPS flat rate box).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

If you cast, Seaco has a mold for a 200 gr, .430" wadcutter.

http://media.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/st ... _Molds.pdf

scroll way down to .44 cal. I'm sure others offer Seaco molds besides Midway...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I posted a WTB on most of the sites I vist for a lee 208 gr WC mold.it took a while but I got one.a lee single cav mold.it slow but casts a good bullet.I e-mailed lee to see if they would make another run of them and they replied no as it was a slow selling mold :roll: .

if your looking for a mold try here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18
DAV life member.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

At one time Lee produced a mould that produced a bullet that looked like one of the LBT style GC bullets. At the time Veral Smith on "tied up" and couldn't make any moulds. I wanted a bullet like the one Lee had in their catalog only without the gas check. When I contacted Lee they told me that since someone else had also wanted the same bullet I did and they had paid for the cherry to be made I would only have to pay for the price of the mould ($19.95) and another $20 which was the price of having a custom mould made. If you were to contact Lee you might be surprised at how reasonable the making of a custom mould would be.
If that doesn't work LBT would be my next choice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

FUNNY THIS ALL CAME UP NOW. I JUST FOUND A NICE SUPPLY OF LEE 429208 WC BULLETS IN MY STASH FROM TWENTY YEARS AGO. I USED 'EM TO TEST TWO TAURUS 44SPL REVOLVERS A 4" AND A 6" M441. THEY WERE THE BEST SHOOTING BULLETS IN BOTH OF THOSE GUNS. THEY WERE BOTH WRITTEN UP FOR HANDGUNS MAGAZINE. THEY ALSO SHOT VERY WELL IN MY OTHER 44SPL SIXGUNS BUT ONE MUST KEEP IN MIND THEY ARE A SHORT RANGE BULLET FOR TARGET SHOOTING AND ARE NOT---NOT!!!---A PIP ON THE FANNY OF THE CLASSIC GREAT 44RUS/44SPL/44MAG CAST BULLET, THE KEITH 429421 WHICH SHOOTS JUST AS WELL, DOES IT OUT TO SEEMINGLY ALL THE WAY TO THE PROMISED LAND, AND IS NO WHERE NEARLY AS PICKY AS TO PROPELLENTS AND CHARGES. BOTH OF THE TAURUS 44SPL GUNS SHOT THEIR BEST WITH A NOW DISCONTINUED PROPELLENT, 452AA, PERHAPS THE FINEST ALL AROUND FOOMFODDER FOR LEAD BULLETS I EVER USED. I AM DOWN TO LESS THAT THREE POUNDS...[ BUT I THINK I'VE FOUND A REPLACEMENT...dont' tell anyone...]
I ALSO FOUND A NICE SUPPLY OF 45COLT HANDLOADS WITH THE SAECO 455 250gr WC FOR THE 45COLT CARTRIDGE. THE BULLET WAS DESIGNED BY AN OLD PAL OF MINE, JAN LIBOUREL, AND HE NAILED THAT ONE TO THE BARNDOOR THE FIRST TIME AROUND. IT WILL SHOOT A LOT FURTHER OUT ACCURATELY THAN THE BEFORE MENTIONED 44 WC BULLET.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

in my smith 29 that lee 208 gr wc with 5.0 grs of red dot in mag brass will cut a ragged hole at 25 meters.
I also shoot alot of the lyman 429421 in both my ruger ft 44 and the smith.I was lucky afew years ago I swapped into a old square groove mold and its a dandy.I have pushed them hard in that ruger with 2400.the 429421 is one of my all time fav molds.
pete
DAV life member.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Terry, I recall that article, and also recall experimenting with those same bullets in my Taurus .44 Special. Indeed the wadcutters provided eye-popping accuracy; but if one were to think of adopting them for most practical purposes, except paper-punching, he would need to be aware that he was limiting himself to a strictly short-range affair. Almost any semiwadcutter will outdo the wadcutter in every way, from slightly longer handgun ranges to 'way out yonder, and do it with more punch.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Federal cartridge still(as of six months or so ago) makes their 200 Gr. Lead SWCHP in 44 Special. I think it would make a dandy defensive round against soft critters and my Super Blackhawk puts them pretty close together.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Thanks for all the responses. I have found 2 wc for my Bulldog. They are from Westernbullet.com. I have ordered 100 each for 180 gr and 200gr. I will let you know how they shoot.

Thanks
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!