So, let's try this again... Do you own handgun(s)?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Do you own handguns?

I would never own a handgun, they're evil...
1%
I CAN'T own a handgun.
2%
I have no use for handguns.
2%
I own a handgun(s) but only because I inherited it(them).
No votes
I own a handgun but only because my job requires it.
No votes
I like handguns and own as many as I can afford.
83%
I'm addicted and own more than I can really afford.
14%

Total votes: 132
Roofuss
Levergunner

Re: So, let's try this again... Do you own handgun(s)?

Post by Roofuss »

Smith's, Colt's, a Rugar and a couple Uberti replica's as well. You can NEVER have too many guns of any style or type !! :lol:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Anyone else? Remember you can vote without posting and there is no way we can track who voted or how they voted.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I answered "I have no use for handguns" and that's pretty much true but I do own a few handguns. I just don't use them very much. I like em -- just don't use em much.
ED
Yer never too old
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Y'all can guess how I voted.. :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Have several handguns: Glocks -tools for the job
Pre-lock S&W revolvers - works of art for the range
1911s - more range toys

I do enjoy them all and could never live in a place where they are banned or highly restricted.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Do you own handgun(s)?

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Yes, it's both sad and frustrating. What I do is carry some photos of my more attractive antique or replica guns on my iPhone and I show them those. Usually their eyes light up at the sight of the beautiful wood and metal work and their position softens enough to allow me to get in a comment or two about how much I enjoy spending time with my sons target shooting with our Cowboy guns (I don't tell them about our love of evil black guns...).
GOOD ideas there, and I've found them successful as well - when they are first introduced to the hobby in a 'non-threatening' context, they may start to see there is something legitimate within the broader context of the 'gun' hobby. Likewise, I save the 'evil black gun' lecture and the 'genocide prevention' one until later, probably after the 'what if your wife had to drive alone at night through a bad neighborhood' one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

One time when I was about 5 my older cousin handed me a pistol. It was a Colt Single Action Army. It was Christmas Day. Standing near the tree, I remember thinking it was my present and I was very happy! Turned out it wasn't. From that day forward my greatest ambition was to get my own pistol.

No one would give me one though. My Mother could have written "Devil's Right Hand". She thought having a pistol put you on the road to eternal damnation. I finally got a Smith and Wesson Model 13 when I was 12. My Mother wasn't real happy. I learned a 357 was a pocket rifle.

One day when I was a 19 year old college student straight out of the hills I got a job at a liquor store in a dicey part of town. I didn't know it but the guys who worked there were very serious pistoleros. I learned a lot from them and the things I learned there served me well over the years. That was a long time ago now and over the years I have had every type of pistol.

I still live in a tough town and unfortunately carry a fighting pistol all the time. I hope to someday return to my hill country roots and carry a recreational revolver. I am very fond of Smith and Wesson revolvers particularly K frames.

As far as good time guns the 44 Mag is king. Mine is a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. When you launch 240 grains of love at something you get a big effect. I do not like full house mag loads and load to about 1000-1100 fps. That will shoot right through a deer or hog and is not a tooth rattler. I have shot hogs as far as 125 yards with a rested shot and it knocks them down like a bowling pin. A 44 snake shot will dust a big rattler.

As far as bad time guns I like Glocks, but I will use any gun that is at hand. I learned fast that deception and a shoot first mentality are more important than whatever gun you have. I do not understand all the hub bub about pistols for social applications. Any gun will do as long as it works and you have sure fire ammo.

I don't have as many pistols as I used to when I was a young, single guy in the Gun of the Month Club, but I still have a few good ones up my sleeve. I have taught my kids to shoot them and while they are not fast guns I think they could defend themselves in a pinch so that gives me some peace of mind.

Pistols have played a big part in my life from the time I first got my sticky fingers on one right up through the present day. Maybe too much of a part if you ask some people. There is a lot of pleasure to be had with a fine pistol in a good time environment. Shooting 22's with kids when they are little and watching your daughters outshoot their BFs later in life. :lol: And there is a lot of comfort in a bad time gun when you are looking into the eyes of someone who views you as prey and know you can end the encounter in your favor at will.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Did someone mention The Good The Bad And The Ugly??? That's pretty cool - although there's no substitute for Amazing Grace
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

For a Canadian I own more than most, lets just say more than 6 both Auto's and revolvers. Fav Cals are in Revolvers 41 mag and 45 Colt or is that Long Colt? :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dave wrote: As far as good time guns the 44 Mag is king. Mine is a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. When you launch 240 grains of love at something you get a big effect. I do not like full house mag loads and load to about 1000-1100 fps. That will shoot right through a deer or hog and is not a tooth rattler. I have shot hogs as far as 125 yards with a rested shot and it knocks them down like a bowling pin. A 44 snake shot will dust a big rattler.
Have to say the .44mag pulls at my heartstrings as well Dave.
I think your Super Blackhawk would indeed be very hard to beat. :mrgreen: