Look at the window sill before you lay your arm there!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Look at the window sill before you lay your arm there!

Post by Marc »

Went to the range yesterday to try to finish up some load development before deer season opens next Saturday. My Model 64 30-30 has demonstrated respectable accuracy at 100 yards. Yesterday I wanted to see what it would do at 200 yards. I was disappointed to find it didn't meet my expectations. It groups under 2" at 100 so I was expecting something less than 4" at 200 yards. Instead 3 shots came in at 6". The rifle wears a receiver sight and I am over 60 so I never know if the rifle failed the test or if my eyes failed the test. I haven't cleaned it in a while since it was shooting well, so maybe it needs cleaning. 6" at 200 isn't a deal breaker but it will make me hesitate to try a long shot. I am going to load a few more and try again with a better target next week.

So anyway I was leisurely loafing my way down the mountain from the range when I stuck my arm out the window and rested it on the windowsill. What the hey is that stinging? I looked at my arm and there was a strand of something laying down my arm. The road is a twisty mountain road and I am trying to get this burning stinging thing off my arm and keep the truck in the road. I finally get it brushed off and look at the window sill and there was a yellow jacket laying in the groove on top of the window. He wasn't doing well! I mashed the guts out of him and he let me have the full load of venom. I don't normally react much to yellow jacket stings. It hurts when it happens and I get a little bump and sometimes a little local swelling. This was different. My whole arm swelled up and hurt bad all afternoon. I finally broke down and iced it. It is still swelled today but doesn't hurt. That bug really nailed me!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Look at the window sill before you lay your arm there!

Post by RKrodle »

Those yellow jackets can really put the hurt on a fellow. I usually wet some dirt, spit on it if you have no other water source, and make a mud pack to put on the sting area as soon as possible after the sting. This seems to always work for me.
Ricky

DWWC
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

When I read your post Marc, I remembered this one by 3leggedturtle not long ago. next time you might try it. I can't vouch for it from experience, but it might work.http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... pper+penny
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

dang!!! that hadda hurt!
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

... or you could get a wad of yer wife's chewin tobacco and put it on there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sorry about your arm.. I hate them yellow Jackets!.. Now I wouldn't go doing ANYTHING to your rifle if it's shooting under 2" at a hunnert, especially you going hunting next Sat.. I can't remember what its called.. something or other dispersion factor...but it means a 2" group don't translate into a 4" group at 200 yds just cause the range doubled...Six inches didn't surprise when I read it... good luck ..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:... or you could get a wad of yer wife's chewin tobacco and put it on there.
:lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OK, let's see here.....

You are 60 years old and you are unhappy because you can only hold a 6" group at 200 yards with a .30-30 lever gun with iron sights. Is that your problem, Buddy?? :D

Boo hooty hoo. :lol: :lol: :lol:
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I actually thought your shooting was pretty good. I'm slightly allergic to wasp and bee stings, don't go any where without Benedryl in the vehicle. Aldolf's Meat Tenderizer made into a paste with some spit and put on the sting will reduce the venom reaction locally if you get it on fairly quickly. Old Boy Scout trick. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I'm with you on the shootin iron, think twice on longer shots.

My yellow jacket story is from when I was a kid and climbing the walls in the barn.
Got stung under the fingernail. I don't like 'em either.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Sounds like the rifle AND you are doing pretty good! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Rusty wrote:... or you could get a wad of yer wife's chewin tobacco and put it on there.
Perfect! Now why didn't I think of that? I get stung 2 or 3 times a year and the stings don't bother me much so I never pay it any mind. This one is different. The arm is still swollen. My brother is allergic to them. They almost killed him when we were kids.
jnyork wrote:OK, let's see here.....

You are 60 years old and you are unhappy because you can only hold a 6" group at 200 yards with a .30-30 lever gun with iron sights. Is that your problem, Buddy?? :D

Boo hooty hoo. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeh, and it really PO's me!
fknipfer
Levergunner

Post by fknipfer »

Got a yellow jacket sting on my index finger one year going to Alasksa stopped and brushed something off of the camper screen unfortunately it was a yellow jacket. Only got me on the one finger and not a full load but it was at least double size for about five days and then the pain starting going away. I won't do that again I will look first before I use my bare hand to swat something off of a window screen.

fknipfer
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I got stung again yesterday! I went to our club silhouette match and it was warm so I had my shirt tail out. I felt something crawling on my back and got stung when I lifted my shirt to see what it was. I didn't see what it was. There were bees, yellow jackets and bumble bees flying about. This was just a normal sting. Not the double barrel super magnum shot so it wasn't bad.

It's the one you don't see that gets you!

I did win the match, which isn't saying much. Most of us are shaky old fanny burbs past our prime. Yesterday I was just a little less shaky than the rest!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 3/4" 30-30 went to 8" at a certain point - then changed again back to about 2 1/2" with further vision changes but by that time it had a 4x scope.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Congradulations on winning your match! Your shooting seems to be very good.. :D

Bees are something I have had to watch my entire life. A single bee sting will put me in the hospital in just a few minutes fighting for my life. I've had to carry a bee sting kit forever it seems. I always thought honey bees were the worst for me until a few years ago when I was hit by another yellow jacket and within a few minutes couldn't breathe. I don't swell up on the outside, I swell up on the inside and to feel it happen knowing organs are about to start a systematic shutdown is a bit disconcerting........ :shock:

I've always been told that we become more and more allergic to bee venom as we age and have a lifetime of being stung. We've all heard of the occasional bee keeper that has been stung over his lifetime and then suddenly drops dead from a single sting. Bee stings are not something to be taken lightly.
2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I heard on the news about a month ago about a guy in Encinitas who died from multiple bee stings. He was landscaping with a riding mower and ran over a nest. He tried to flee but they pursued him and gave him hundreds of stings.

I have seen a lot of bees around lately. There is a big nest under our storage at the silhouette range and I passed under one in a tree in Sherman Oaks. Also at the silhouette range, lots of bees living in holes in the dirt.

One note about the long shots with your 30-30; Barnes told me the bullet won't expand under 1400 fps. My load starts to dip under 1400 at about 200 yards.

I was practicing with my .243 and my 200 yard group opened up, too. Still minute of deer I hope.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yellow jackets live in either holes that other animals have dug and abandoned or in tree hollows. Some species also build round nests, not unlike those of other hornets. They are especially active in late summer to early fall and are VERY protective of their nests. If you find a ground nest the ONLY way to eliminate it completely is to spray it after dark when the hunting wasps are back in the nest. I lie to follow them and find the nest, then return after dark and do them in. Also, a product called "Sting Kill" really helps to soothe the sting area. It's active ingredients are 2% Lidocaine HCI and 1% Menthol as topical anesthetics. Believe me, it works.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You won the fight and the bug lost all he had to lose, nothing to whine about there.
You shot a six inch group at 200 with open sights, now you've got something to whine about. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.