Slightly OT - BEST quick Sunday Breakfast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Slightly OT - BEST quick Sunday Breakfast

Post by JohndeFresno »

2 eggs simmered
2 pcs whole wheat toast
1 Jalapeno, sliced (leave seeds in! better that way)
Coffee -
One of these:
Farmer Brothers (local Fresno blend for restaurants, available at counter)
Starbucks Breakfast Blend
Gevalia Traditional Blend
Costco Columbia Blend

Bring eggs to boil, simmer 5-8 min to taste, slice peppers and put in toast
Slice eggs into rings, pop on peppers and make a sandwich

My favorite breakfast - Quick, easy, wakes up body, soul and spirit!

For sweet changeover, put on a smithering of JillsJams.com Kiwi Jelly
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Slightly OT - BEST quick Sunday Breakfast

Post by Blaine »

:lol:

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Eggs, over med., either bacon or sausage, sliced tomatoes, either decaf or diet cola. Wanna drop 55 lbs, so no ethnic foods... for us Irish, that's potatoes & bread, both of which I CRAVE!!! :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Farmers Brothers. That's a name I haven't heard in quite a while. I thought it was gone. They must have pulled in their reins as it used to be available in most stores in SoCal when I was a kid.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

jeepnik wrote:Farmers Brothers. That's a name I haven't heard in quite a while. I thought it was gone. They must have pulled in their reins as it used to be available in most stores in SoCal when I was a kid.
I lived in LA until I was 15 1/2; don't remember it being in stores. Hills Brothers, yes.

It is still relatively unknown in the Valley. It is a superb blend, and available only to restaurants and a few restaurant supply places. We have even given the coffee as Christmas gifts in the past - always very well received, with a question as to where we found it. I don't have a gourmet tongue, but it seems that every time I'd ask a restaurant where they got the great coffee around here, they'd say "Farmer Brothers." It's just something different about it that stands out.

EDIT: Checked site at http://www.farmerbroscousa.com/mission and was surprised to find out that this company is all over the West Coast, based in Torrance, CA. I had thought that it originated in Fresno, where I go to get the stuff. Perhaps it was in the stores down south, somewhere. Ya learn lotsa stuff on this site.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Farmers bros makes good cowboy coffee, get your water boiling add 1 heaping tablespoon of coffee to 2 cups water pull off the fire let steep a couple of minutes and enjoy. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:Farmers Brothers. That's a name I haven't heard in quite a while. I thought it was gone. They must have pulled in their reins as it used to be available in most stores in SoCal when I was a kid.
Farmer Bros. Coffee Grew up in SoCal and it seems like I'd seen it in stores, but my Mom ordered it, just as she had milk delivered and we bought Helm's bread! To be experienced, nothing like it today!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

It all sounds great except for the coffee part. I get my caffeine and sugar from good ole Mt. Dew!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Started making my coffee in a press about 2 years ago. My press makes one full cup for traveling and about a 1/2 a cup for drinkin on the spot. There's no life without it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

God Blaine that was funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John, love them grilled Jalapenos. Chorizo and scrambled eggs is yummy too. Being born in the mid West I've always liked a good biscuit and gravy and chicken friend steak, but I go out for that. Pete's Sumatra coffee is my personal fave. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:Grew up in SoCal and it seems like I'd seen it in stores, but my Mom ordered it, just as she had milk delivered and we bought Helm's bread! To be experienced, nothing like it today!
LA in the 50's - My older brother worked at Helms as a teenager; we had Adohr milk delivered to the door by trucks using real bags of ice (we'd beg for a small piece to suck on); and everybody was talking about the new San Diego Freeway going up where police were using special "Interceptor" suspension and engine packages to catch speeders as they patrolled that modern miracle of transportation. And we left our doors unlocked!

Yes - very funny, Blaine - thanks for not showing the fire exiting from some other area (it's a family site, y'know). A day without jalapenos is like a month without sunshine!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Griff wrote:Grew up in SoCal and it seems like I'd seen it in stores, but my Mom ordered it, just as she had milk delivered and we bought Helm's bread! To be experienced, nothing like it today!
LA in the 50's - My older brother worked at Helms as a teenager; we had Adohr milk delivered to the door by trucks using real bags of ice (we'd beg for a small piece to suck on); and everybody was talking about the new San Diego Freeway going up where police were using special "Interceptor" suspension and engine packages to catch speeders as they patrolled that modern miracle of transportation. And we left our doors unlocked!

Yes - very funny, Blaine - thanks for not showing the fire exiting from some other area (it's a family site, y'know). A day without jalapenos is like a month without sunshine!
Adohr's... couldn't remember the diary's name... After we moved to Westminster, we biked all over the soon to be San Diego freeway site on weekends (work shut down).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Farmer Bros. was more like the Mossberg of coffee...Serviceable..
Breakfast...unfortunately I recently discoverd I can make a single serving of SOS in about the time it takes to make the toast..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

As for the flame from the other end just eat ice cream after for dessert. Then when on the throne just say "COME ON ICE CREAM" :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Seven minute drive to either I-HOP or Golden Corral, depends on how hungry I am. :lol: NO cooking, NO cleanup, and usually have a good looking waitress to hand it to me. :wink:

I cook most of the week, Sunday morning I go on strike.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This is the heat I like on stuff It's prolly as hot as a Jalapeno, but it's always the same heat..no surprises, and the red chili's don't bother my stomach....you can find this anywhere. Just a hair sweet, and with garlic.

The best Garlic/Spicy shrimp in the world is Rooster sauce, a bit of butter, a bit of soy and brown sesame oil and quick fry. (extra garlic doesn't hurt a thing)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JohndeFresno wrote:
I lived in LA until I was 15 1/2; don't remember it being in stores. Hills Brothers, yes.

It is still relatively unknown in the Valley. It is a superb blend, and available only to restaurants and a few restaurant supply places. We have even given the coffee as Christmas gifts in the past - always very well received, with a question as to where we found it. I don't have a gourmet tongue, but it seems that every time I'd ask a restaurant where they got the great coffee around here, they'd say "Farmer Brothers." It's just something different about it that stands out.

EDIT: Checked site at http://www.farmerbroscousa.com/mission and was surprised to find out that this company is all over the West Coast, based in Torrance, CA. I had thought that it originated in Fresno, where I go to get the stuff. Perhaps it was in the stores down south, somewhere. Ya learn lotsa stuff on this site.
And since I live a whole eight miles from Torrance...
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:
Farmer Bros. Coffee Grew up in SoCal and it seems like I'd seen it in stores, but my Mom ordered it, just as she had milk delivered and we bought Helm's bread! To be experienced, nothing like it today!
Yep, Helm bread trucks, the milk man would deliver fresh milk (heck the closest dairy was just around the corner, Ben Cluff's), eggs butter, cream, you name it. But that's when many mom's didn't work and families had only one car. Dang I miss the 50's.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have to say, I quit doing things quick a few years back. My favorite retired man's breakfast is:
A couple of thick sliced strips of bacon
scrambled eggs done just right
Buttermilk biscuits torn apart
A couple patties of pork sausage
Homemade gravy poured over biscuits, sausage, and eggs.
A good cup of hot coffee
My wife gets up when she smells the coffee and bacon. :D
I have it down to a science so it all comes out hot at the same time. (there's an art to it young men)
If I have any biscuits left over a little butter and homemade preserves is dessert.
When all the kids and grand-kids are here, they get out of bed and are sitting there waiting on me to say "come and get it" :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Now THAT is a breakfast RR7! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Breakfast just ain't breakfast without some hot buttered grits. Add a side of bacon or venison/pork sausage, fried eggs, cathead biscuits and cane syrup. Then wash it down with some strong black coffee made in the old stainless steel percolator. Carpe Diem!
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Way to go, Rangerider! As a severe cardiopath and insulin-dependent diabetic, I eat a local version of that breakfast every time I feel suicidal. May I trouble you for a biscuit recipe? Mine have been a total failure as the local baking powder is short on oomph and our flour is kinda thick.
Thank you
Antonio
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

funny, I "found" Farmer Brothers three years ago at Gelson's. Then they stopped offering it to stores. I called their Torrance office and asked about buying a case. They told me they have a warehouse in the Valley and to go there - it's about a mile from work. They sell to the public on Friday's after noon, I have bought cases twice. It's the only coffee that doesn't bother my stomach later.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Machado wrote:May I trouble you for a biscuit recipe? Mine have been a total failure....
As have mine. I've made it my goal to learn how to produce good-to-excellent biscuits this winter. I'd start now but the oven heat would run me outta the house.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mayo biskets are KILLER!!

Ingredients
2 cups self-rising flour 1 cup milk 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a large bowl, stir together flour, milk, and mayonnaise until just blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Chas, it's winter down here, and we're freezing with the mercury hovering @ 55 F. No problem with oven heat.
Blaine, thank you. I'm off to the kitchen right now.
Antonio