What is a Winchester Legacy 94 30-30?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

What is a Winchester Legacy 94 30-30?

Post by Canuck Bob »

While searching for a used rifle I bumped into a Win 94 Legacy AE I think. 24" barrel full mag tube, pistol grip, and some checkering.

Is this a Japanese build?

Is it a dressed up AE?

What quality of action internals are they built too?
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is a Winchester Legacy 94 30-30?

Post by iceman »

I think they are a fancied up 94, better wood, checkering, better finish. Made in USA. Check to be sure about barrel length, could be 20 inch. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Is this a Japanese build?] - No, it was what the last few years of Winchester 94 & 9422 production were labeled as. Whether to try to stir up interest for lagging sales, or because they were looking forward to the end of production for those models is anyone's guess.

[Is it a dressed up AE?] - No, I would say, more like: dressed diferently, ILO "dressed up". The wood wasn't any "better", it was just cut differently ( plane-sawn ILO quarter-sawn) to exhibit what only looked like more expensive wood (kinda like the grain in a sheet of plywood, IMHO).

[What quality of action internals are they built too?] - The same as every other Winchester Model 94AE, made since the introduction of the lawyer safeties, although quality is said to have seriously slipped in the later part of 2005 & up to the CT plant closure in 2006.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, same ol' sow's ear gussied up to resemble a silk puse. But then I don't like any of the AE versions.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I think all of the Legacy's had 24" barrels. I got one in 2001 in .45colt. I had been away from the gun stuff for years, just bowhunting. mine was the worst out of the box firearm I have ever owned,the trigger pull was off the scale and the springs were so stiff I could not believe it. it was impossible to shoot well. I have several pre 64 Winchesters that are just fine but I would not trade 25 Legacy's for one of my Marlin's. the only good thing is it was so bad I wanted to fix it and wound up here.the best bunch of Guys I could ever imagine. :) .
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

At one time they did produce a 20" Legacy.

Here's a good list of what they later produced. Some were actually very nice.

http://www.ozarkguns.com/Winchester/94% ... legacy.htm
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

there are 2 kinds of legacys.....both made in the USA
difference is the wood....pistol grip, checkering...
barrel length and shape....round and octagon
and buttstock....shotgun and crescent
30-30s come in both

you can get this Legacy in both round and octagon....30-30 & 38-55...26"

the legacy in this pic is the one on the far right.....round barrels only...24"
you can get this in 357, 45, 44, and 30-30....might be a few more calibers
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Legacy 30-30 is a 26" tapered octagon barrel, and was one of the last made in New haven, Conn. 2006. They also made them in a Round barrel 26" and in 38-55.

Trails-End was made in Japan.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have the .357 version, nothing special about it although it's my favorite gun. Shoots very well. It has been my most accurate gun, and I shot my best silhouette round (37) with it. I have had trigger work done and right now it's feeding rounds under the carrier so I have to get that fixed. I also just replaced the ejector.

The wood is nice; I also have a Ranger in 30-30 and that looks like plywood compared to the Legacy. I WANTED another Legacy in 30-30 24 inch round barrel but it was January of 2006 and I ended up with the Ranger instead. I saw one on an auction site at $750 and decided to pass.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've owned this Winchester Legacy since mid-90's. 20 inch barrel, exceptional walnut, cut checkering, remarkable accuracy, AE feature, cross bolt safety. The 24 inch model was produced one year after the 20 inch and remained in production for many years. I sort of thought that the model 64 would be re-introduced as an adaptation of the Legacy.

The photos show some mule deer kills made with this amazing carbine. Hunts took place within Black Hills Nat'l Forest, South Dakota.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mine ( 24" .45 Colt) is very accurate, Very nice wood,poor trigger. Just like others have reported.

They are good shooters if you can get past the rough operation. Some just cant abide them, others can. :?