Gunslick graphite grease

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Gunslick graphite grease

Post by J Miller »

I really like the Gunslick graphite grease, but as far as I know it only comes in a tiny .20 ounce tube. That just don't last long enough.
Does anybody know of a source of larger containers of this stuff?

And is this a special made grease, or is it just a common product repackaged by Outers?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Gunslick graphite grease

Post by Cliff »

Gunslick is composed of colodinal graphite. It means little bitty tiny spheres of graphite. This is mixed into a light grease which acts as a carrier. I heard they are not selling it anymore. If you are in an area with machine shops and such you may be able to find the makings. You might want to do an online search. I don't believe it is exclusively made for "Gunslick" but you may have to buy it in bulk say 50 lbs or so. Check with some laboratoy supply companies. Graphite comes in several different forms, flat grain, spheres and such. Same as Lee's little tubes of white case lube, cleans up with water is really wire pulling lube. They buy it by the barrel, then put it into the little tubes. I used to work in a testing facility and found this out. My case lubes most of the time can be purchased at electrical contractor's supply stores, in quanities as little as one liter. Can be cut about 10 parts water to one part wire lube. Of course the graphite can be real mess trying to handle if you want to make your own. Good Luck...... :D
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

It is at least very similar to a common commercial product trade-named "Oildag" marketed by Atkinson Colloids. This is a lubricant consisting of colloidal Graphite in a mineral oil base.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

About 25 years ago someone gave me a 12 oz bottle of powdered graphite. A little "puff" and that part's lubed. Doesn't attract dirt & grit. Stays in my gun cleaning tool box. At current consumption, I'll bequeath half of it to my son!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I can't answer the Gunslick graphite lube question. I use it sparingly here and there.

I buy dry graphite from my local NAPA store. Like Griff said, I just puff a shot of it on actions and the like and it's slicker'n snot. No oil or grease to attract dirt and it's cheap if I remember right. I haven't bought a new bottle in a long time.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have some powdered graphite but I haven't used it as a stand alone lube except in locks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Got an answer to my email to Outers this morning. All they offer is the .20 ounce tubes. Guess I'll have to order in some next Midway or Brownells order.

Joe
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

J Miller wrote:Got an answer to my email to Outers this morning. All they offer is the .20 ounce tubes. Guess I'll have to order in some next Midway or Brownells order.

Joe
Brownells sells a gun grease with moly in it. Probably just as good as graphite grease. Definitely just as messy! :lol:

Mark :mrgreen:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Gunslick has been around since the mind of man rememberth not and it is a good product. No better than several other gun greases. These days, I stick to the old USGI Grease, rifle. It was formulated for small arms use under adverse conditions and is about as good as you can get. Beside, I have two pounds of it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Some truck stops sell grease for putting on the 5th wheel of a tractor. I've seen it with graphite in it. It comes in small plastic pouches that you just throw on the 5th wheel and hook up.

I've also seen a liquid graphite lock lube that is made with a volatile liquid that carried the graphite into the recesses of the lock then evaporates.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:Some truck stops sell grease for putting on the 5th wheel of a tractor. I've seen it with graphite in it. It comes in small plastic pouches that you just throw on the 5th wheel and hook up.
Great stuff. Do NOT, let me repeat... DO NOT... uh, let me emphasize... DO NOT let that get on any clothing you don't want PERMANENTLY stained. If the colth survives, anthropolgists a million years from now will be able to enter on their field notes: "shirt, long sleeved, obviously worn by a truckdriver, you can tell from the black stained sleeve; where he reached under the trailer to unhook... must of been a favorite, because it's been laundered hundreds of times and is now faded to a dark gray."
I've also seen a liquid graphite lock lube that is made with a volatile liquid that carried the graphite into the recesses of the lock then evaporates.
Also great stuff as once the carrier has evaporated stuff doesn't stick to it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Graphite, while it is a good lube, doesn't provide the corrosion protection of most grease/oils, which is needed in firearm actions.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I had found a small bottle of powdered graphite somewhere years ago and I mixed some with automotive chasis grease, real slick snot. I put it in a small plastic syringe as an aplicator. If I mix another batch I will use white lithium grease for a base. I would guess you can still buy Lubriplate in the "toothpaste" tubes. The two partials I have date from the 70's or earlier.
oldbrownhat
Levergunner

Post by oldbrownhat »

Cliff wrote:...Same as Lee's little tubes of white case lube, cleans up with water is really wire pulling lube. They buy it by the barrel, then put it into the little tubes. I used to work in a testing facility and found this out...
Re Lee Alox Lube, I did a little research on this a couple of years ago and found this post from Castboolits, which I saved:
From CastBoolits

Back in May 2003, I had an interesting phone talk with Joe Purnhagen of Lubrizol.

They stopped making Alox 2138F because of low demand and orders were labor intensive as the typical order was for 5 gallons and they had to repackage from the smallest container they carried in inventory - 55 gallon drum.

Alox 2138F is 97% Alox 350 ($1.06 a pound, about $400 a drum) and 3% C700 - perrolite (spelling) a hard wax. Alox 350 and C700 are available. The amount of C700 at 3% is so small, for our use, we can do without it.

By the way, David Thompson of Thompson Lube is a regular customer of Alox 350 by the 55 gallon drum. He uses it to make '2138F' for sale to casters like you and me.

The Lee ALOX product is Alox 606-55. Alox 606 is a solid. Melts at 245 degrees centigrade. Requires careful handling when mineral spirits are added to avoid fire. 606 is 0.77 per pound, 606-55 is 0.67 a pound. Joe recommends we get the pre-mix of 606-55 to be on the safe side. Afterwards, one could just add more mineral spirits to make 606-75.

The repackaging cost for both products is $1.25 a pound
Sorry I can't help with the graphite lube, though.

:) Stuart
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
(Benjamin Franklin)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Try an aircraft supply for grease that has moly and graphite in a lithium grease base. I used to use it when I was a aircraft mechanic.
I was give a product call Dry Slide in Iraq that was a spray of graphite and moly in a liquid that evaporated and left a dry film that would not attract dust. I have some left that I still use that is great.
It is not the critic who counts
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Paladin wrote:Try an aircraft supply for grease that has moly and graphite in a lithium grease base. I used to use it when I was a aircraft mechanic.
I was give a product call Dry Slide in Iraq that was a spray of graphite and moly in a liquid that evaporated and left a dry film that would not attract dust. I have some left that I still use that is great.
How about EXTREME PRESSURE MOLY-GRAPH MULTI-PURPOSE GREASE?
The can says:
>Provides compounded protection with molybdenum and graphite to establish a fine micron plating on all working surfaces and withstand heavy load, water attack and shock loads.
>Base Type: Lithium 12 Hydroxy Stearate.
>Color: Black.
>Use for automotive, industrial, mining and construction ball and roller bearings, bushings, slides, chassis points, ball joints, U-joints, backing plates, wheel bearings and more.

I've been using this stuff in my trucks for decades. Never compared it to Outers Gunslick grease. It should work fine.

Joe
oldbrownhat
Levergunner

Post by oldbrownhat »

Paladin wrote:...I was give a product call Dry Slide in Iraq that was a spray of graphite and moly in a liquid that evaporated and left a dry film that would not attract dust. I have some left that I still use that is great.
I've heard good things about this, starting with a gunsmithing article in Rifle Mag. by Gil Sengel, but it seems hard to find, at least in the Pac. Northwest. The mfr.claims it's also sold under other names by bicycle shops but none I've asked has had it.

:) Stuart
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
(Benjamin Franklin)